Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends

Setting a President

Aired Unknown Feb 17, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• Everyone has had it with Mr. Herriman's rules so Frankie runs for president.

This episode starts out good with Mr. Herriman making everyone alphabitize their trash. Personially I think Mr. Herriman is a bad leader. He will only give 1 pillow to 2 head Fred, He won't give anyone a break even though their last break was 5 hours ago and his bedtime rules has an owl friends waking up when he should be sleeping. With those rules and more it's easy to see why people want Frankie as president. So Mr. Herriman gets Bloo's help in order to win the election. I especially liked their catchy songs they used to convince everyone that Frankie is a bad person. Frankie wins the election but Mr. Herriman seems depressed without the job so she gives it back to him because of that and the low price that she gets paid. Good episode and great songs.
  • This episode is the best one yet!!!

This episode was so great I could'nt beileve it. The writers wrote it so well and it really made me think about the president of the united state election. I don't know why. It just does. but still it was a great episode and had alot of Frankie and i am glad. because she is a great charicter. i think this was a great episode.
  • This was a episode like no other!

This episode was to funny that it almost made my want to cry.Fosters home is trying to have a new president because mr.Herriman has some dumb rules and everyone wants him voted out.When Bloo learns about this he takes advantage of it and decides to run for president.Everyone starts liking Bloo at first but they now know that Bloo was only talking jibberish.Frankie on the other hand had a soft feeling for them and reminded them of how it was to be cared for.Everyone liked her from now on.Mr Herriman decides that he must team up with the Master Blooregarde:o.They make up funny commercials about her and she gets mad.this was a good episode for this show it had alot of great qualities.I liked it when they made the funny commercials.This was one om my favorite episodes.
  • This episode is really funny and great! not at the end but it is ok. A great episode.

This episode is really really funny. This episode is great and I enjoyed watching it. I like the part when Frankie and the imaginary friends were watching what Bloo and Mr.Herriman made. Like the song and funny face of Frankie. The song was funny and Bloo and Mr.Herriman were dancing while singing the Mr.Herriman song. This episode is very funny and they vote who is gonna win. If I'm in this episode, I will vote for Frankie because she deserves to win because she was really nice to the imaginary friends and to everybody. Not like Mr.Herriman who is very strict and the imaginary friends need to do what he says. At the end it was not funny because Frankie made Mr.Herriman back at the Foster's home and his old job, to be the president of Foster's home.
  • Adam Pava's first (and hopefully the only) bad episode he had written for.

"Setting A President" was a very disappointing episode for me to watch, as I thought there were few errors in this episode.

The story for this episode begins when Frankie, after being fed up by Mr. Herriman's rules, decided to run for President against the victorian-era rabbit. But like any election, Frankie and Herriman goes to length to win the election, and it's only the voters that determines who wins or not.

The characters were completely out of character, as I feel they were too brutal towards to Bloo, as well as some major errors in the continuation Mac brought up from Season 1 to 3.

Like Lauren Faust's "Where There's A Wilt, There's A Way/ Everyone Knows It's Bendy", I hope this is the only bad episode that Adam Pava just written about.
  • In the words of the Grim reaper: okay, but not great. *burns house down* Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

7.6
    An okay episode, but I really though Frankie, Mr. herriman and Bloo were really out of character. They were acting selfishly against each other. The other really good parts were:

1) The Foster's TV news.

2) When Bloo was at the podium with fire at it.

3) When Eduardo punched Bloo

4) When Herriman called himself "Any Old Loser" I laughed out loud.

The episode all in all was an okay episode. I didn't despice it, but this is yet another reason to continue my quest to crossover Danny Phantom and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
  • A solid episode, with great character development. Things get quite messy at Foster's, when incumbent Herriman challenges Frances 'Frankie' Foster for President of Foster's.

In the episode, "Setting a President", Frankie is peeved over Mr. Herriman's role as President of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and she eventually decided to challenge the 'Funny Bunny.' She felt that the incumbent, Herriman, wasn't treating the Imaginary Friends fairly. Bloo also became interested in running for President, except that he's running on a 'no rules' platform. At first, many of the friends were undecided as to who to vote for, especially Wilt.

On the second act of the episode, the candidates participated in the debate, and Mac and Eduardo were the moderators. The candidates were asked about why run for the position. One thing that I thought was significant was Mac bringing up recent events that took place in past episodes (which reveals that the series has some sort of continuance). I don't see too many animated series that does it. After the debates, it appeared that Frankie received more support from the audience, including the chanting of her name.

Later on, Herriman bribed Bloo into pulling out of the race, and to join forces to defeat Frankie and wither away her support. A Herriman/Blooregard alliance is rare in this series, even though the two have somewhat worked together in 'Cookie Dough.' During the alliance, the team made many insults and created many political ads attacking Frankie, including the "..and I approve this message" line, taken from the 2004 U.S. elections. Did the attacks work?

Before we get to that, one of the funniest moments for the episode was Mac trying to explain to Eduardo on how to vote for a candidate. He still didn't get it, until Bloo told him what to do. He tried to persuade Ed into voting (or in this case, 'punch') for the one he opposed. He literally punches Bloo with delight -- signaling that he would be voting for Frankie. As soon at the votes were tallied, Herriman was easily ousted, with Frankie winning by a landslide. Even though Frankie was delighted to beat the pants off of Herriman, she didn't necessarily want him to 'leave' Foster's, which he did. However, Frankie proved that she was able to perform the job as well as Herriman did -- if not better. Herriman looked all over the place for employment, and he eventually became a sacker at a supermarket. That was when he spotted Frankie at the checkout lane. Frankie tried to persuade Mr. H into coming back to Foster's, but he rejected the invitation.

As Frankie received her first payment as President, she was surprised -- receiving less than what she had earned with her previous duties. She eventually gave the keys back to Herriman, who was delighted to become President once again.

While this episode wasn't high on the laughing scale in my book, it was very well-written. There was a bit of drama during Herriman's departure, and even though the low-pay may have persuade Frankie to give up the presidency, she did sympathize Herriman for being out of the house -- looking for other work, even though she has had a rough history with Mr. H. I also believed that she truly cared about the well-being of all of the Imaginary Friends. Will she become President in the future? I believe that she would make an outstanding one.
  • Wait, wait, wait--Frankie DOESN'T get screwed this time?!? What's next, Bret Hart gets inducted into this year's WWE Hall of Fame? ...oh wait...

(Disclaimer: This review is written by a huge Frankie fan, and if you know how the episode turned out, it should be clear that I'm very delighted. However, the score should also indicate that I did not find the episode to be perfect, as we'll see soon)

Well, if this isn't the last episode of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends Season 3, then I'm sure we're nearing the end, as we've had around the same amount of episodes as the first two seasons. Whether you loved it or hated it, it's hard to say it didn't draw at least one or two strong reactions--and really, isn't that the basic goal for any fictional work? If that's what Craig McCracken wanted, then he should pat himself in the back, because he got it.

And if this IS the last episode of this season, then McCracken deserves a nice pat in the back from others for ending it in a good note, at least from the perspective of people enchanted with a certain redhead. I went into "Setting A President" greatly worried--but it turned out to be really good.

However, it would be dishonest for me to say that this was perfect. In fact, as happy as I am about certain things, others are quite frankly bothering me right as I type. Win some and lose some, I guess--though at least here, it's mostly win and only some lost.

The Michael Jordan:

-I'd just like to thank McCracken and Adam Pava for not going the routes I thought this episode would take when I first learnt of it's premise. I was certain there would be some lame twist ending with a third candidate winning out of nowhere, blindsiding Herriman and Frankie. Turns out, Frankie won with a huge landslide, all because of her honest, "woman of the people" campaign.

-More importantly, however, I thought "Setting A President" would be a repeat of "Imposter's Home", and put the screws on the young Foster again. Thankfully that was not the case either. Frankie simply shone here. If Bloo's film on last week's "One False Movie" deserves Oscar consideration, then Frankie's performance here must be a bigger lock than Brokeback Mountain, because she was excellent as the determined, genuine and caring candidate. When they did that attack campaign against Frankie, instead of fighting fire with fire, she instead did a heartfelt speech to win the voters back. During her short-lived term, she pretty much kept every last promise she made. And yes, even though she seemed somewhat selfish at the very end when it was due to the crappy pay that she resigned instead directly due to Herriman's plight, she nonetheless felt very bad for the rabbit and didn't want to see him homeless. Frankie pretty much showed that not only she cared about the house's residents, but also her supervisor; even if she isn't very fond of him.

-And speaking of the attack campaign, it was, uhhh... odd. But also funny. And I liked seeing Frankie as a wee little child.

-Seeing so many of the previous imaginary friends was cool.

-And a reference to Douglas Adams is an instant win... even if it came from Bloo. Speaking of which, seeing him clean the bathrooms under Frankie's order was very pleasing.

The Michael Jackson:

(Note: It looks like many will note the lack of Mac as a negative. It's all a matter of preference, but personally, I wasn't bothered at all. He is the show's main character and most episodes focus on him, so I don't see anything wrong with ocassional episodes centering on somebody else)

-I just don't get Madame Foster. Or maybe it's just some of the writer's choices. The whole debacle over the Europe tickets can be somewhat forgiven due to wanting to show a dark side to the sweet old lady(Though there's no convincing Mac fans, which is 100% understandable--it's their version of "Imposter's")... but I just can't believe she'd be completely apathetic to the fact that Mr. Herriman, her long-time imaginary friend, was leaving for good. Just... no. This is the main reason why it isn't rated higher.

-And personally, I would've rather seen the episode end this way:

Frankie indeed turns out to be a successful president... at first. A week into her presidency, she begins to buckle under the mighty pressure, and thus the friends start to protest against her. Matters aren't helped by the paperwork/legalities, which she quite frankly isn't very good at. And worst of all, Madame Foster shows signs of actually missing her poor old Funny Bunny. Because of this, Frankie decides to give her duties back to Mr. Herriman, and the episode ends with Frankie having a newfound respect for the rabbit and his role in the house--that he isn't really all that better off than her.

The way the episode ended was fine enough, but I believe mine would've been a better way. I'm not saying Frankie should be a perfect Mary Sue(In fact, I adore her because she isn't one), but, well... the whole "the pay sucks, so I'm resigning" thing was very abrupt and gave Frankie a bit of a selfish edge that really didn't fit with how caring and devoted she was for most of the episode. My ending would've shown Frankie's imperfections in a more fitting way.

-After all the butt he kicked last week, Wilt--and he's one of my favorites, mind you--came off as somewhat of a tool here.

Bottom Line: It's not perfect, but "Setting A President" is a great episode that mostly sets the standard on how a Frankie episode should be. There are some glaring problems, but those can be fixed next time.
  • Good despite lack of Mac

Great show I think IMO
    Despite the lack of Mac the main character
    I felt that Frankie did stand out as well as stand up to Mr Harriman and his rules
    Everybody loved it when Frankie won the election
    But Mr Harriman, as a bit arrogant that he is, I really actually felt sorry for him
    Trying to find a job
    And that Frankie felt very sorry for him and gave him back his job
    She does have a true heart of gold despite bad blood between her and Harriman.