Fraggle Rock

HBO (ended 1987)

shengongwu3000

Fraggle Rock Fan Reviews (34)

• "Dance Your Cares Away...Down At Fraggle Rock!"

Somewhere in the world, there was a workshop owned by a kindly, yet absent-minded inventor named Doc.

As Doc tinkered with his experiments, his dog, Sprocket, stumbled upon a hole in the wall.

Past that hole lied an underground slew of caves, tunnels, and collumns, and who else lived in those places but the Fraggles and the Doozers.

The Doozers were small, green-skinned creatures who loved to work on building their little intricate structures (made from grounded radishes), whilst the Fraggles--who loved to eat Doozer constructions--enjoyed life by dancing and singing. The world of Fraggle Rock was intertwined with not only the surface world--which the Fraggles called "Outer Space"--but also with an outside kingdom manned by giant furry beings called Gorgs, of which there were three...the father and king, the mother and queen, and Fraggle-hunting Junior Gorg, the heir to the Fraggle throne.

Along with Fraggles, Doozers, and Gorgs lived a wise compost of trash called Majorie, the all-knowing and all-seeing Trash Heap. She would give the Fraggles--and even Junior Gorg--advice on how to solve the problems the creatures often came across, but in the end, the best advice of all that she gave was also what Cantus the minstrel said earlier in that "We're a part of everything and everything is a part of us", once again acknowledging the intertwined relationships of all the species in the show.

Along with Jim Henson's ingenius, it was that intertwined relationship--and the even smaller intricate relationships between the main five Fraggles (leaderly Gobo, adventurous Red, artistic Mokey, indecisive Wembley, and worrysome Boober)--that gave the show a magic that no one could truly leave, because it was a kind of worldly magic that connected not only the creatures in the show, but the performers themselves and the many fans who learned life lessons from what the show had to bring.
  • Who misses Jim Henson? I do.

While I was thinking about this review, I first thought I should argue for the bringing it back argument. Then I thought about it longer and realized that sadly Jim Henson is dead. His son is doing quite well carrying his legacy, but Jim is the genius that made these puppets come to life. Without Jim it would be a faint shadow of it's former self.
    I love this show, it was all the happy, caring, loving, kids based programming that you still have today, but with more fun and some actual imagination thrown in. With Fraggle Rock you were always looking forward to what the story was today, and who was going to be the key player. (I remember my sister and I actually leaving if our favorites weren't in the episode (can you imagine kids today leaving the TV?) So much better than TV today, I'm not nostalgic, I just think that Fraggle Rock was funnier and more intelligent than what gets produced today. Bring Back Fraggle Rock, but just as reruns so todays children can enjoy good tv.
  • Even if you're born after fraggle-mania hit like I was, that doesn't mean you can't appreciate fine works like this!

Everyone nowadays knows about the famous Jim Henson muppets (Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie) or at the very least knows Sesame street. But the third king in the muppet franchise would definetely be Fraggle Rock. With all the episodes finally on DVD and an upcoming movie, this series is a must see. With classic characters like Wembley and Boober and the beloved voices of muppeteers Richard Hunt and Jim Henson one can't help but watch. The music is wonderful with special messages like "Pass it On" or "Children of Tomorrow" the list can go on! It also introduces some very special muppeteers to main roles including Kathy, Karen, and Steve! As I type this I can't help but think what it must have been like to live during the time of a muppet-mastermind like Richard or Jim!
  • Let the Fraggles play!

Fraggle Rock is an amazing show. Highlighting the creativity of Jim Henson and producer Jerry Juhl, the show takes place in the dark, underground, magical world of Fraggle Rock. Here, the Fraggles sing and play and have all sorts of adventures as they teach good lessons and morals in fun and interesting ways. They have their friends, like the wise Trash Heap and the hard-working Doozers, and they have some enemies, such as the mighty Gorgs, but overall, they all learn to live together. This is one of the biggest and most endearing themes of the entire show: learning to live together in harmony with people who are different. To give it a broad, international appeal, the creators have added several aspects that brings the entire world together. While the main Fraggle stories are dubbed in different languages, the "outer space" segments (which are set in our world) are specific to the country that is showing it. You also have Uncle Travelling Matt, who is exploring outer space, having adventures all over the world, from England to Canada, Australia to Switzerland, Japan the the Pacific Islands. It is a classic family show that is still relavent today.
  • "Dance your cares away. Worries for another day. Let the music play. Down at Fraggle Rock!"

Therefore, as Majorie--the Trash Heap--once said, "We cannot leave the magic": http://www.gosdin.net/rebound/fraggle/magic%20+final%20fraggle%20rock.mp3
  • one word: awesome!!!!

i used to watch this when i was little and i loved it then i saw it on the internet and immediately recognized it. the theme song was so fun and awesome. i miss a lot of these old shows i used to watch. now theyreall gone they made up the better years of my life and they can do the same for someone else. as we all know this is a jimhenson show containing puppets and it definately kept the tradition alive. the 80s come back everywhere else why not on tv? im sure a lot of people agree. with me
  • Puppets underground with human interaction from the lighthouse.

This series was in two styles, firstly, and best was the puppets, with Sprockett the Dog also a puppet, with humans who live in the lighthouse. Then came along the cartoon, which was unfortunate as this is when the series began to fail. The series concentrated on Gobo Fraggle, and his life in the caves with his friends, getting into scrapes with the ogres on the outside, and the occasional postcard from his uncle Travelling Matt. The fraggles lived on food provided by the Doozers, whose main aim in life was to build for the Fraggles to eat. Funny series, takes me back to my childhood, and can't wait for the movie release.
  • i love this show!!

i wish they would bring this one back! even just show reruns of it i loved it as a kid and im pretty sure my kids would love it too. they already love the theme song as i have it on my computer and play it for them Sprocket was hilarious. it sucks when u remember something and you cant show it to your kids. so please please please bring it back and let a new generation of kids learn to love this show!!

i dont know why its listed under kids shows!! come one you cant tell me that adults didnt love this show!! lol
  • cool, great, fab, bring it back.

6.8
    this was an absoloute classic, i'd love it to come back on the box. My kids would love it. bring it back pleasssssee. carntt beat fragile rock . I never missed an episode when i was younger and neither did my sister and friends, it was just so in at the time such a classic kids programme. The song was also very catching , bring it back , bring it back preety please. I want my children to watch it as i am sure it would become a favorite of theres also.
  • Fraggle Rock was one of my favourite shows when I was a kid... and still is!

Anyone at any age can enjoy Fraggle Rock. I especially liked the Doozers, they're so cute and everyone had a favourite Fraggle... mine was Boober, no Wembley... no Gobo, ohhh no it was Red and Mokey. Ahh, who am I kidding they're all great. Now that it's on DVD I get to watch it whenever I want, commercial free. Looking so forward to the movie.
  • I grew up on this show, and the fact that it is on DVD is so great!

I grew up watching this show, and I love that it is now on DVD! The diverse personalities of the main characters made the show attractive to all types of children, while the show also had subtle undertones that made it attractive to adults. My parents tell me that they loved watching it with me. I also see the undertones now that I am looking back at the DVD's. Truthfully, Jim Henson had better societal commentary with "Dinosaurs," but I cannot think of a show I loved more as a kid than "Fraggle Rock." Dance your cares away, worries for another day! It is a great lesson for everyone in such a crazy, busy society.
  • Guh..i dont really know what to say...

6.9
    I THINK I watched this when i was young, I dont know.

It looks funny, I saw the theme song thing in someones profile of another website once,

So it looked a bit funny.

>.>

Okay, okay, im only doing this to get my level up and get more of those block thingy ma bobs, but i honestly think that i watched this show when i was young, so it must have been one of my favorites...

Right? <.< Right? >.>

~crickets~

Yea! the crickets agree with me...~clears throat~ Um..yea..
  • "Dance your cares away, working's for another day!"

In a cave deep in the ground, visible only through a crack in the wall, lived happy and carefree creatures called the Fraggles. They sang and played, unaware of difficulties in the world above.

The Doozers busied themselves working construction in the underground center. "Work your cares away, dancing's for another day!" went their theme, a counterpoint to the blithe attitude of the Fraggles. Their neighbors admired the results, in more ways than one: they ate them. Despite the different outlooks, the Doozers just kept on building, with barely a hitch in their get-along.

The Gorgs, gigantic furry creatures, lived in the ruins of a keep. The youngest one kept trying to track down the curious Fraggles.

All is in strange but steady balance until the underworld is found out by Sprocket, the dog owned by an inventor named Doc. Gobo Fraggle must get into Sprocket's room without getting caught, in order to pick up messages from Uncle Matt. It's a challenge every time.

Will Sprocket ruin the day for the creatures below? Will the Fraggles and their odd neighbors be able to sustain their fragile kingdom?

Laugh along with this creative saga, a sprightly adventure story with terrific characters. I'm glad to see it now on DVD.

Fraggle Rock is still a ton of fun.
  • I say this is my new best friend because it is something that FINALLY keeps my children interested in something longer than usual....and that's saying something!

Never privy to this show in the 1980's in which I grew up, I finally got a chance to see it with my own children via the wonderful invention called DVD. I picked up the complete 1st season and have only watched a few eps with my two oldest children and must say that it was totally worth the money. They love it! And I even got into it some. Of course, I've always been a big fan of Jim Henson's Muppets, in which "Fraggle Rock" originates. So it was definitely worth checking out at any rate.

Anyway, the show itself is brilliantly original (the creation of a magical world filled with bizarro-named creatures) yet, as like any other young children's show, delivers stories laced with simple morals and messages for the viewer. One very good highlight, however, is its music. There is a lot in the show, some the standard 2-3 minutes long, some just a 30-second scat session(or something to that effect). Either case, whatever these entertaining creatures are singing you just can't help but join in, whether singing along or just tapping your foot to the rhythm.

As the title suggests, the main characters are, of course, the Fraggles. Five in particular: Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober and Red. Each has his/her own distinct personality, very defined, which is nice as this helps with the issues of living in harmony with others' differences, which brings me to the other inhabitants of the "Rock".

Next we have these short little green guys called Doozers. They are bite-size construction workers who build these crystalline towers and bridges and such around Fraggle Rock and the Fraggles eat them (the towers and stuff, NOT the Doozers!) They are entertaining enough just to watch working on their constructions, but are more enjoyable whenever they sing, have their own stories and have a more active role among the Fraggles.

Outside the Rock live these huge gigantic things called Gorgs. These guys are a hoot! There are only 3 of them: Pa, Ma and Junior. They live in what passes in their minds for a castle with a simple garden in the yard. Junior Gorg grows radishes in said garden, in which the Fraggles sneak out and pick to eat. Speaking of, Junior's fave pastime is catching Fraggles. Ma and Pa consider themselves as King and Queen of the universe. 'Nuf said.

Beyond the Gorg garden lives Marjorie the Trash Heap and her two rat pals, Philo and Gunge. Now THIS character rocks! (No pun intended). She is considered by the Fraggles to be an oracle and brave the dangers of the Gorgs' garden by venturing out into it in order to seek out her advice. Her rat buddies serve mostly as her two best friends but usually make a courtly yet hilarious announcement whenever someone comes to see her: "You are in the presence of..." followed by a funny "Nyeh!" sound at the end. In any case, just about any scene with the Trash Heap practically steals the show and her musical numbers tend to provide some pretty rollicking moments.

On the other side of Fraggle Rock lives human Doc and his dog, Sprocket. Doc is the only human on the show (well, the only REGULAR human as all the others are only in the scenes regarding Travelling Matt's postcards, but more on him in a second.) Doc is an inventor and he and his dog Sprocket (who is a puppet in the show as well) live in a workshop where there is a large hole in the wall that leads into the Fraggle world. Doc and Sprocket have a role-reversal type of formula on the show: Doc is the naive animal with wacky invention ideas (that usually tend to fail and/or annoy Sprocket to some degree) where Sprocket tends to be the more humanistic practical one but still retains his canine-ish ways. Doc is unaware of the Fraggle's existence, but Sprocket knows of them. He has chased Gobo on several occasions. One thing I love about the Doc/Sprocket dynamic is the fact that Sprocket's stories usually end in some type of hilarious disaster. Well, what passes for "disaster" on a show like this anyway. Like I said, usually but not always. Some days he has a resolute ending. One thing to note about Doc and Sprocket is that they do not sing and their scenes contain no musical numbers like all other characters. Of course, Sprocket doesn't talk so guess it's just as well.

Last but certainly not least, we have Gobo's Uncle Travelling Matt. I noted above that humans are in scenes involved with Travelling Matt. See, Matt leaves Fraggle Rock to explore Outer Space - which is none other than our world, the human real world. And according to Matt, we humans are referred to as "Silly Creatures". Go figure. Regardless, Matt sends Gobo a postcard every week detailing on his adventures - often with rip-roaring hilarious tales. One example: Matt refers to umbrellas as upside-down bowls that bring water from the sky! Gobo must risk running into Doc or Sprocket while running out of the hole in the wall of Doc's workshop to the wastebasket and fetch Matt's postcards, leading to the occasional encounter with Sprocket.

For a children's show, "Fraggle Rock" has some unusually tense moments. One episode called 'The Terrible Tunnel', in which an ancient tunnel swallows Fraggles up, had my 4-year-old little boy scared to death. And the scenes where Junior Gorg chases and catches Fraggles can be very frightening as the Fraggles are not much taller than the top of a Gorg's shoes. From this perspective, seeing a walking mountain wielding a mega-size club at you can't be good when you're 4. But they're not that bad and the effect doesn't seem to last long as there is always something funny or interesting to turn to in order to relieve the tension. (I tell my little boy to look at Wembley's big nose to get him to laugh, which I admit is kinda funny!)

"Fraggle Rock" can be mildly challenging, too. Its use of vocabulary comes to mind in the aspect of the show's use of some pretty big words that kids don't comprehend yet, so it helps to sit with your kids while watching this show so you can explain to them when they ask "What does that mean?" Of course, this has been done on countless times on other kid's shows, but those shows usually contain some explanation of words or phrases that kids can learn from. "Fraggle Rock" doesn't do that. It is straight and passive in its storytelling, not stopping to "explain" things. However, it always gets its message across loud and clear. As a parent, I highly recommend "Fraggle Rock". It's something you can share with your children, it's morally educational, it's highly entertaining and I've no doubt it will hold these qualities for generations to come.

• Another Jim Henson show (the creator of Seasame Street and The Muppet Show). This show also used the famous muppets but just added different character.

Another Jim Henson show (the creator of Seasame Street and The Muppet Show). This show also used the famous muppets but just added different character. Not quite as good as Seasame Street or The Muppets but it was entertaing. Many of the same people providing their voice talents as follows:

Jim Henson
    Cantus The Minstrel / Cov Simon O'Brien
    Presenter 1987 onward
    Richard Hunt
    Beige Cave Fraggle, Firechief Fraggle, Gillis Fraggle, Gunge, Herkimer Fraggle, Junior Gorg, Magical Spider-Fly,
    The Mean Genie, Dave Goelz
    Boober Fraggle, Large Marvin Fraggle, Philo, Sidebottom, Skenfrith, Uncle "Traveling" Matt Fraggle, The World's Oldest Fraggle,
    Jerry Nelson
    Archbanger, Architect Dozer, Feenie Fraggle, Fishface Fraggle, Gobo Fraggle, Marjory/Marjorie The Trash Heap, Mervin Merggle, Pa Steve Whitmire
    Marlon Fraggle, Wembley Fraggle, Mermer Merggle
    Kathy Mullen
    Wimple Fraggle, Old Gypsy Fraggle, Mokey Fraggle Karen Prell
    Red Fraggle, Wingnut Doozer, Marly Fraggle
    Nikki Tilroe
    Background Fraggles Patricia Leeper
    Aunt Granny Fraggle, Tosh Fraggle
  • Loved this show as a kid back in Miami

I used to love this show back as a kid in Miami
    About a bunch of loving Fraggles led by Gooble
    Or whatever his name is. And that they were peace
    But also loving people who had to battle those giant gorgs
    In order to keep their peace and love going. Again great
    Show as well as also very funny. Only one human was
    In the bunch with an old man and his pet dog!
  • HBO Gold

This is absolutely one of the best children's programs from the mind of Muppet creator Jim Henson, In the opening viewers are encouraged to "Dance Your Cares Away, Worries For Another Day", there is NOTHING corny about this show, The Fraggles who live in a rock below the home of an elderly inventor and his pet dog presumably somewhere in Canada for the U.S. and Canadian version of the show and having them live elsewhere for other parts of the world, The Fraggles never seem to work and depend on small looking green men called The Doozers who build buildings after which The Fraggles consume the buildings, The only enemy of the Fraggles other than Doc's pet dog Sprocket is the Gorgs a large dopey species always trying to catch and kill the Fraggles the youngest of the Gorgs is Junior who always trying to catch the fraggles but in the end up losing them in a botched attempt.
  • The BEST children's show ever!

Before Dragon Tales, there was Fraggle Rock! This show is so nostalgic and the songs are great! Boober Fraggle is my personal favorite on the show! I got plenty of Fraggle Rock DVDs to keep it worth watching! If they ever bring it back to TV, they should put it on PBS and/or back on CBC (although I'm an American and I was born in America)! It's one of Jim Henson's best!
  • Fraggle Rock was a children's television series created by Jim Henson, primarily featuring a cast of Muppet creatures called Fraggles, with music by Philip Balsam and Dennis Lee.

The vision of Fraggle Rock articulated by Jim Henson was to depict a colorful and fun world, but also a world with a relatively complex system of symbiotic relationships between different "races" of creatures, an allegory to the human world, where each group was somewhat unaware of how interconnected and important they were to one another. Creating this allegorical world allowed the program to entertain and amuse while seriously exploring complex issues of prejudice, spirituality, personal identity, environment, and social conflict. Fraggle Rock generally refused to over-simplify any individual issue, instead simply illustrating the consequences and inherent difficulties of different actions and relationships. Though the Fraggles do learn important lessons, they rarely are aware that they are learning them. The ideals of friendship, being true to yourself, and learning to love those who are incredibly different, were the cornerstone of Jim Henson's work throughout his 40 year career, and he considered Fraggle Rock to be one of the purest and most successful expressions of that vision.
  • I loved this show as a kid!

I loved this show! It was so sweet and kooky.
    The Fraggle's world has 3 tiers, the caves of the Fraggles, the Doozers(sp) who live next to them w/out interacting, and the Gorgs who stomp the garden above them. Iconoclast Gobo's-uncle-traveling-Matt sets out to explore "outer space" (=the real world) and sends back hilarious postcards. Slowly, throughout the progress of the show the different worlds came together. Beyond the message, I loved the way the backgrouds would sporadically spring to life and provide background vocals.
  • This show was da bomb! BOOM!

This was Hendrix's best show he ever made. The Muppets were funnt at times, but the Fraggles were constantly funny. I truly wish this show had continued on, because it was a great show. I want to get the DVD so I can rewatch it and eventually have it for my kids in the future so they have something good to watch and not the crud that is on for TV nowadays.
  • Probably Henson's best series.

Fraggle Rock was definetly a Kid Friendly show with no threat of scary characters (like some of the monsters from Sesame street which my young cousin finds terrifying X3)

It's also am absoloute marvel of puppetry work and showed back then that puppets were the best thing to watch on TV (now almost completely killed off by CGI of today).

Their adventures very good and full of heart, were somewhat limited seeming as all the fraggles went to were their caves "Outer Space" (our world) and the garden of the googs or Goons (as I call them >3) but the full range of characters, performances and sets were some of the best in Puppetry television EVER.

Good show although probably just for kids only, unless you were an "80's child" you'll definetly want to re-visit your friends at fraggle rock (they've missed you for 20+ years!)
  • LOVE IT. Pure genius. Magical, heartfelt and has a lesson without being a "this is the lesson of today's story" type show. You really can't help but get into it.

My favorite show EVER and definitely a major part of my childhood. It was so magical and deep that I can't believe it isn't on the air still. It's a shame it's stil not on television. It DEFINITELY deserves to be. Today's younger viewers are missing out on it. They've brought it back a couple times, but the last time I saw it on TV, they were showing it a 5:30 or 6:30 AM on Saturday mornings... what kid is up THAT early on a SATURDAY?! I really wish they WOULD bring it back. I saw something about a Fraggle Rock movie coming out in 2007... I don't know what that's all about, but I like the show the way it is. I don't know if they'll be able to re-create it, but it'll be interesting to see how they attempt to do it.
  • Worries for another day!!

Who doesn't love the fraggles?? Just another one of Jim Hensons awesome creations. The tunes are catchy, the plots are hilarious and the characters are all really cool. The fraggles are yet another part of my childhood history. I still watch the episodes now with my kids and can still manage to laugh out loud. Good old Uncle matt, red, Gobo, Mougey, and who could forget that little guy Wembley?? I named my dog after Wembley as they are so similar, small, cute, timid, funny. It's just a great show that should be braught back.
  • I love this show. What more needs to be said?

I actually just bought a Fraggle Rock DVD. It has the first four episodes on it I do believe. I loved watching this show. My boyfriend's favorite character is Travelling Matt. (mostly because his name is also Matt...) I think I saw it on tv once not too long ago. It might have been on Boomerang. I would definitely still watch that today. I still find that show funny. Another show that kids of all ages should definitely watch.
  • I love this show! It is fraggletastic! What would the world be like without Gobo, Mokey, Boober, Wimbley and Red! I dare anyone to watch this series and not enjoy it!

I love this show! It is fraggletastic! What would the world be like without Gobo, Mokey, Boober, Wimbley and Red! I dare anyone to watch this series and not enjoy it. When you watch this show you can\'t help but, laugh, cry, and tap your feet to the wonderful songs! Jim Henson really gave us something in this series, he made us a world where fun games, go hand in hand with tears and lessons. \"Fraggle Rock\" is not a kid\'s puppet show, it\'s a everyone Muppet show. This series goes beyond the play ground, it has a beautiful message about friendship, understanding, loyalty, and life, as only Jim Henson could do it, bringing that silly sense to a new level!
  • Fraggle Rocks my world.

Since the show ended when I was 2, I never really knew the fraggles except brief childhood mind blurs and the few reruns they played when the Hallmark channel existed. Thankfully I'm lucky enough to live in the time of DVD and bought the first season. It is by far one of the best muppet experiences you can have. You find yourself completely engulfed in the fraggle world due to Jim Henson's brilliant and well thought out concept. This is a very in depth children's show. You have the home base world of our world where Doc and his dog Sprocket live. THen through a hole in that world, we have the fraggle world. Within the fraggle world live fraggles and doozers. Then beyond that world is the mirror to our world where the giant Gorgs, and the all-knowing garbage heep live. Without them knowing, each group is dependent on the other groups for survival. Jim Henson's idea was to bring the real world together through example on this show. It allows us to see ourselves represented in the characters, and how we could set aside our differences. It's a great idea, and for thousands of kids who are raised by the television, it's well worth a shot to install some good morals. But amazingly, the show is anything but preachy. It's soooo entertaining that I can hardly stand it. The music is terrific, and every episode contains at least 1 to 3 ORIGINAL songs. Thats tons of original music, and style varies from anything from rock, blues, country, anything. You just get a fantastic mood from this show that reflects the Dark Crysral, but it's more inviting. It's by far one of my favorite shows. Genius puppeteering, storyline, lessons, comedy... Fraggle Rock has it all. Anyone with a love for muppets should not be without Fraggle Rock. I'm definitly looking forward to owning all the seasons. (The first season is packaged with a reproduction of Jim Henson's notebook! It contains in his handwriting the entire concept for Fraggle Rock AKA Woozle Woozle!)... Awesome!
  • This show was absolutly genious.

When I was a kid, this was one of my favourite shows. It sucks so much that its not aired anymore. Me and all my friends always watched it, even though it ended the year before I was born. But I still spent many, many happy years with the Fraggles. I recently (actually, today) found two DVDs of the show, and I absolutly had to buy them for my cousins birthday. It's such a shame that she never had the chance to enjoy this show, and I've decided to introduce her to it, and it also gives me a chance to watch it again when I go to visit her and her brother and sister. With the release of the DVDs, maybe a whole new generation can have some fun watching the Fraggles, and if not, then some old fans can pick up a copy, and relieve happy childhood memories with their favourite Fraggle or Doozer.
  • I miss it so much!

I was kind of young when I watched it, so I don't remember many details. But I do remember that I absolutely loved the show! It should really make a comeback. I know I would watch it. If I could find any place that sold Fraggle Rock merchandise, I'd have to buy!
  • I love those tiny creatures

Fraggle Rock is the coolest muppet series ever. I enjoy watching five main Fraggles go through many adventures inside and out of their caves. Who would of though of living between a world with real life humans and giant muppets? The old man has no idea about the existence of Fraggles. One of the three giant muppets on the other side wants to keep one as a pet. I wished I could see them again.
< 1 2