Frank TV

Frankapalooza

Aired Tuesday 11:00 PM Oct 21, 2008 on TBS

7.7
  • Frank TV returns.

In the opening sketch we see an Oliver Stone film about Bill Clinton "taking the hit" for Al Gore sleeping with Monica Lewinski. Not only was this really stupid, but it didn't serve its purpose because it wasn't funny. The next sketch saw James Gandolfini in a new show called "Puppy Time". The moments that played up on Italian stereotypes were funny, but Frank Caliendo's impression wasn't that great. The remarks of the **** and Bow Wow puppy food were funny and I will admit that it was an improvement over the opening.

After a commercial break we saw a sketch showcasing what Jedis do when they're "not on the clock". Outside of a few cheap spoof moments that got a chuckle from me this felt like a 12:55 SNL sketch (that's not a good thing). I did like Wings Buffalo though. Darth Vader saying he was "always there" at the place selling the purple lightsabers was a good way to close the scene though. In Frank's best impression thus far we saw him play David Letterman. While the imitation was spot on, that also meant it wasn't funny as Letterman is horrible. After the second break we get a TV Funhouse-like segment with various cartoon characters on trial for steroids. Needless to say very few laughs here. A new castmember portrayed Ice-T in a mildly clever sketch about the rapper wanting to sell iced tea and not blueberry lemonade. The closing sketch saw a weak McCain impression about him being "too white".

Amidst all the hype of Frank TV during the MLB playoffs this was a disappointment.