Frasier

Door Jam

Aired Unknown Jan 07, 2003 on NBC

• The mystery.

Those Crane boys really can be quite weird, can't they? It's one of the things I really love about this show, and it always gives me great laughs. The entire room-mystery was very hilarious, and I just knew the boys wouldn't let it go there. I liked the ending where they found themselves locked out of the spa.

Roz didn't have a big role in the episode, but the little that she did was very funny... silly, but funny. As for the Daphne and Martin part, it was okay. I guess it was also quite silly, but I liked it anyway. I wasn't looking for anything deep tonight, just a good laugh.
  • Frasier and Niles coin a phrase: The other man's door is always golder.

This is one of the classic episodes of this excellent, well-written series. This one clearly demonstrates the major characteristics of most of the leads--the OCD traits of Frasier and Niles, the free-wheeling sexuality of Roz and the irascible-yet-lovable personality of Martin--in a knee-slapping turn of events ending with an over-the-top scene that exhibits the gifts of Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce as physical comedians.

Frasier and Niles are obsessed with having the best; they can't begin to enjoy their experience at a tony spa if they believe there might be a more exclusive membership for more upper crust guests. The Silver Door treatment isn't nearly enough when they see that Gold Door. And we're going to find out just what ridiculous lengths they'll go to in exercising their obsession. Roz has a connection, of course, to help Frasier and Niles get in deeper at the spa. An elderly senator "owes her one" for knowing CPR during an intimate encounter (and we see this reprised in a fun way during the postscript scene at Cafe Nervosa).

A poignant sub-plot involving Martin and Daphne watching old episodes of 'The Rockford Files' makes a subtle point about aging. Daphne sees Martin as a Rocky-like character, personifying Rockford's cantankerous old man. Martin, however, identifies with Rockford, seeing himself as the hero--cool, confidant and connected to the streets, solving crime as he once did when he was a cop. To make peace, Daphne is forced to massage Martin's ego, just as she once rehabbed his bum leg; and finally both embrace the fiction that Daphne sees Martin the same way he sees himself in his memory-aided mind's eye. Anyone who has lived past 50 can appreciate Martin's petulance.

This deft juxtaposition between the heart strings and the belly laugh is an example of Frasier at its best. As if it wasn't enough to simply sit back and enjoy Niles hopping around in his mummy-wrap!
  • Frasier and Niles always have to have the best.

Frasier gets some of Cam Winston's mail by mistake, including an invention to a hot spot, and of course Frasier and Niles are mad that they are left out.

Niles then poses as Cam, and they find out that this hot spot is a spa, so like true Niles and Frasier style they enjoy something that doesn't belong to them, but when they learn that there is a gold level they do everything in their power or Roz's power to get in.

Once in they are impressed with what they see, that is until they find a platinum door and ignoring warning from an attendant barge right in. Just goes to show what Frasier and Niles will do to not be left out of any hot spots.