Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

any specific reasons why the show ratings declined dramatically?

yousifaltaha

[1]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 7
    especially in the last two years,anybody has an idea?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PikeBishop

[2]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 31

Eleven seasons is a long time for a scripted show to run. The scripts began to get repetitive and the characters could really develop no further. Also it ran into some serious ratings competition from new hits such as "24."

In fact I stopped watching Frasier those last few years mostly, because I was watching 24.

seinfeld111690

[3]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 25
    PikeBishop wrote:
    Also it ran into some serious ratings competition from new hits such as "24."

In fact I stopped watching Frasier those last few years mostly, because I was watching 24.

24 was not on in the same time slot as Frasier, let alone the same night. So unless you began watching 24 every second of ever day once it started airing, then you could have still watched the new Frasier episodes.

The ratings went down, because people lost interest. The show never really lost its quality, and they always had fresh ideas throughout the series.

yousifaltaha

[4]Mar 6, 2008
    hmm that might be true,the same thing happened with cheers....but other shows in the time period of frasier (seinfeld,friends) didnt face that problem

seinfeld111690

[5]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 25

yousifaltaha wrote:
    hmm that might be true,the same thing happened with cheers....but other shows in the time period of frasier (seinfeld,friends) didnt face that problem

Seinfeld - Was not in its prime until the later seasons, so when it ended, they were still putting out their best episodes.

Friends - Friends was just one of those shows that would always be able to get viewers. They often changed things up in Friends, and opened themselves up to new, fresh storylines (Notice how they changed roomates up, about midway through). The show appealed to much more people, as opposed to Frasier (and Seinfeld for that matter). Plus, NBC put many more hours into marketing Friends, than they did for Frasier...

I enjoy all 3 shows, as I have seen every episode of each show multiple times, and I never really noticed a decline in quality throuhout each of them. I noticed a rise in quality, if anything.

Edited on 03/06/2008 1:35pm
    Edited 2 total times.

PikeBishop

[6]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 31
    seinfeld111690 wrote:
    PikeBishop wrote:
    Also it ran into some serious ratings competition from new hits such as "24."

24 was not on in the same time slot as Frasier, let alone the same night. So unless you began watching 24 every second of ever day once it started airing, then you could have still watched the new Frasier episodes.

Oh really??? Care to bet your mortgage on that little fact??????

PiperPrueLover4

[7]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 18
    I didn't know the ratings were dipping... in fact I heard they were thinking of doing a Season 12.

DoctorShade

[8]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 28
    PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    I didn't know the ratings were dipping... in fact I heard they were thinking of doing a Season 12.

That would of been intresting to see, a season 12. They probably would of had to introduce a whole new character to make it intresting, maybe even have Frasier spend a few episodes back in Boston. Or have a few episode about Daphne going to visit her family in England. Even though I loved Frasier, all good things must come to end lest become bad.

VM1138

[9]Mar 17, 2008
    • level: 6
    I had heard that ratings slumped in seasons 8-9, but 10 and 11 were back to being among the top shows on television, which is why they chose to go out "on top."

frostzZ

[10]Mar 18, 2008
    • level: 5
    VM1138 wrote:
    I had heard that ratings slumped in seasons 8-9, but 10 and 11 were back to being among the top shows on television, which is why they chose to go out "on top."

Oh no...they were like the the 30th show in the last 2 years which is very bad for a show that was a hit and in the top 10 shows

mazzles

[11]Mar 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    Frasier was a brilliant sit-com. Ratings aside, all good things do come to an end. I could've watched another series.

scifimad

[12]Apr 11, 2008
    • level: 4
    heard season 12 was all written and ready to go and paramount pulled the plug love to have had a look at the scripts lol

tabbikattster

[13]Apr 19, 2008
    • level: 16

Well, I do have my own theory as to why this brilliant show seemed to go downhill in ratings in the last few seasons. For me, personally, I liked this part of the plot, but others didn't: It might've been partly for the fact that Niles finally got together with Daphne. I honestly felt sorry for the poor guy in a few episodes, but I have to admit that the chasing was very entertaining. I think that a lot of fans liked it when they weren't together, because they'd liked the idea of Daphne being completely oblivious; good for comedy, you know.

I dunno. Just a thought.

PiperPrueLover4

[14]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 18
    I see what you mean, but I think they compensated enough with other marriage humour (the Roz threesome thing for instance) and their skiploads of chemistry.

th77

[15]May 3, 2008
    • level: 24
    I'm not sure what the ratings looked like but I would've kept watching for a couple more seasons

frostzZ

[16]May 18, 2008
    tabbikattster wrote:

Well, I do have my own theory as to why this brilliant show seemed to go downhill in ratings in the last few seasons. For me, personally, I liked this part of the plot, but others didn't: It might've been partly for the fact that Niles finally got together with Daphne. I honestly felt sorry for the poor guy in a few episodes, but I have to admit that the chasing was very entertaining. I think that a lot of fans liked it when they weren't together, because they'd liked the idea of Daphne being completely oblivious; good for comedy, you know.

I dunno. Just a thought.

actually i agree on that,its like daphne just finished her role in the series when she and niles got together,and rose wasnt funny in the later seasons

ArthurBranch

[17]May 22, 2008
    In the future I hope when a show loses it network strength cable networks pick it up. I'm as likely to watch something on a cable network than I am on a broadcast. I know some of it has to do with budgets, of course.

icetoadrucker

[18]May 27, 2008
    • level: 1

to the fans, this show was consistantly brilliant, i think the ratings dip would have came from the people who didnt avidly follow the show, but watch it because "there was nothing else on" switching off, its one of those shows you either love or hate,

personally i loved every minute but if forced to choose a low point it would be the introduction of lana's son kirby. this was one of those awfully obvious and deliberate studio moves to spice-up a show, thinking that frasier would clash with the young dude. created some painful tv,

SMGslayer97

[19]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 34
    Like someone said eleven seasons is a long time for a scripted show to run, when you think about it that's also a long for fans to stick with a show. I'm not saying there weren't fans that did but younger fans (I know this wasn't a show with tons of young fans but even teens and twenties) some times abandon shows after extended periods of time, not for any real reason other then they are getting older. I know I have.

Plus when you think about for any one show to stay on top for more then four or five seasons is a lot to ask, there are consistently new things coming along to knock it off it's thrown.

cosmo_2002

[20]Jun 17, 2008

See i absolutely love frasier, but for me season 8-10 just really wasn't as funny as it used to be, i mean granted there were some funny episodes but just not as good. Personally I felt that those seasons were missing something that i couldn't quite put my finger on. I was quite reluctant to watch the last season but when i saw it i absolutely loved it and i think that was due to the fact that they brought back some of the old writers. But the show found that spark that it lost and i suprisingly really enjoyed it. The show ended well and in my opinion ended on a high note.

Now i should go buy some more season on dvd next time i go to the shopping centre I haven't watched it in ages.