Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Anyone have a least favorite episode?

  • Avatar of luvNiles

    luvNiles

    [1]Oct 17, 2006
    • member since: 08/24/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 77

    As I'm sure is true of everyone here, I absolutely love this show, all it's main characters and most of the supporting cast, but definitely my least favorite episodes are the ones with Mel.   I absolutely cannot stand that woman....probably because I know she was standing in the way of Niles and Daphne being together.  However, I realize the relationship with Mel was something Niles had to go through in order to finally woo Daphne for real.   Does anyone else have a 'least favorite'?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chris52579

    chris52579

    [2]Oct 18, 2006
    • member since: 12/17/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 210

    I love this show but there are a couple of them I do not like....

    I agree the Mel ones sucked with one big exception..  How much she annoyed Fraiser .  One quote  ( Ahhh  I think he is a bit much-Dining on the terrace, you need to know the owner ...- Dad does she remind you of anyone ?  ( Martin) -  Ya you... )  She irked him alot .

    The Whine Club sucked as nothing really happened.

    2nd least Fav was - Daphne's return.. She was ab*tch and Niles well was kinda an a-hole but just nothing good happened until the end when they slept togather supposably.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alanwarsap

    alanwarsap

    [3]Oct 19, 2006
    • member since: 07/10/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 424
    Preferred the earlier episodes, I didn't despise the later episodes ( the series' after Daphne's wedding to Donny and later) but didn't like them as much, although there were still some episodes of pure comic genius.
    Edited on 10/20/2006 2:41am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of luvNiles

    luvNiles

    [4]Oct 19, 2006
    • member since: 08/24/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 77
    I agree that the earlier episodes overall were better than the later ones....after Niles and Daphne finally hooked up. I think a large part of the humor came from Niles struggling with the angst of being married to Maris, yet being totally smitten with Daphne from afar. Once they got together, the thrill of the chase was gone.

    I get reruns of the show at 1:30 AM in my time zone on the week days. They are now in the midst of the Mel days. However, the episode last night was hilarious. It was Episode 7.15, "OUt with Dad". That's the one where Martin agrees to accompany Frasier to the opera on Valentine's Day. Mel was arriving back in town so Niles had to cancel. I like it too that John Mahoney was allowed to show his range. Starting with the misunderstanding that Frasier's dad was gay....it just got funnier and funnier after that!

    I think I agree about "The Whine Club". That was on the night before. I fell asleep in the middle of it....all I remember is that Mel decided SHE wanted to cheat Frasier out of being corkmaster.....boring!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alanwarsap

    alanwarsap

    [5]Oct 20, 2006
    • member since: 07/10/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 424
    Yes, that episode "Out With Dad", is pure comic genius, that's what I meant, not all of the later episodes sucked, just more than the earlier episodes. Glad you agree with me about Niles being better chasing Daphne, than being with her.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chris52579

    chris52579

    [6]Oct 20, 2006
    • member since: 12/17/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 210

    Murder Most Maris was pretty good as a 2-parter. It is when Maris kills her Polo lover and Fraiser gets sympathy when he shouldn't get because

    " Are you forgetting it has been just  _ days since I was hit in the face by a man who is now dead"  He uses it 4x's I think and everytime they all put there heads downa nd fell for him .... I have no idea why but is it funny as hell.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BuskieBoy

    BuskieBoy

    [7]Oct 21, 2006
    • member since: 07/06/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 179
    Ah LuvNiles, you are just jealous because you want Niles all for Daphine!

    This is as hard a question as "what's your favorite episode?"


    I'd have to say any Cheers returns. Especially Sam, then Woody and the worst is when they all went to Boston and got corraled into attending Cliff's retirement party. Those episodes weren't funny and were kind of sad, as if it was charity or something. I didn't care for the Donnie episodes that much, as he isn't what I see Dee going for at all. He's chubby, and seems kind of dirty and sweaty. Maybe it's because of his debut episode. That was disusting, he gives me willies. Or maybe because he a lawyer?
    (just kidding you lawyers out there! )

    As for Mel, yeah she's a bee-atch but that's the point isn't it? It makes N & D finally getting together so much more satisfying! Besides I love the episode where Niles stands up to Mel, in front of Dee and tells her to get on her bike! And declares his love for Dee! Brilliant!

    But doesn't the same apply for Julia Wilcox (Felicity Huffman) too? I didn't care for her, and that whole plot of her and Frasier getting together was forced. AND they cheated and chickened out of making it a Roz/Frasier romance to end the series! I think that would have been so profound! Here Frasier has been looking for love and all this time it was right in front of him behind that glass! Again, I did like the "Pictionary" episode where he tells a very very RUDE and CRUDE Julia to GET OUT!!!
    Edited on 10/21/2006 11:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chris52579

    chris52579

    [8]Oct 22, 2006
    • member since: 12/17/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 210
    BuskieBoy wrote:
    Ah LuvNiles, you are just jealous because you want Niles all for Daphine!

    This is as hard a question as "what's your favorite episode?"


    I'd have to say any Cheers returns. Especially Sam, then Woody and the worst is when they all went to Boston and got corraled into attending Cliff's retirement party. Those episodes weren't funny and were kind of sad, as if it was charity or something. I didn't care for the Donnie episodes that much, as he isn't what I see Dee going for at all. He's chubby, and seems kind of dirty and sweaty. Maybe it's because of his debut episode. That was disusting, he gives me willies. Or maybe because he a lawyer?
    (just kidding you lawyers out there! )

    As for Mel, yeah she's a bee-atch but that's the point isn't it? It makes N & D finally getting together so much more satisfying! Besides I love the episode where Niles stands up to Mel, in front of Dee and tells her to get on her bike! And declares his love for Dee! Brilliant!

    But doesn't the same apply for Julia Wilcox (Felicity Huffman) too? I didn't care for her, and that whole plot of her and Frasier getting together was forced. AND they cheated and chickened out of making it a Roz/Frasier romance to end the series! I think that would have been so profound! Here Frasier has been looking for love and all this time it was right in front of him behind that glass! Again, I did like the "Pictionary" episode where he tells a very very RUDE and CRUDE Julia to GET OUT!!!


    I hated her Charcter but taht episode was funny as Fraiser kept dealing with it and you could see him ready to explode. True to Fraiser form he got the final straw when it has his hand toels being made fun of... hahaha
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chris52579

    chris52579

    [9]Oct 22, 2006
    • member since: 12/17/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 210

    Buskie Boy brought up a thought. I know this was ost likely ocveredbut a long time ago here.

    What is everyone Favorite 3 espiodes ?  Like chips you can't just have one.

    1. High Holidays- I kow I haven;t shut upa bout this on here on the forum.

    2. Fraiser sick day- When Niles fills in for him. then he goes down to the station stoned.  great line also  (  To Daphne-  I will care when  England comes up with a great chef- a Wrold class bottle of win and a car that has a decent electical system- daphene goes off on him then Frasier to Daphne-  are you finished ? Off you go )

    3. Dinner at eight from season 1- Dinner out with dad at the Timber Mill.   ( enough said )

    HM (4) Was Daphne's room - " Is that a Mercedes dealership across the street ? "

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PikeBishop

    PikeBishop

    [10]Oct 23, 2006
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 878

    I thought the question was "least favorite episode?

    Anyway I never liked the "Greek wedding" one. I thought it was kind of silly and there was never any hint of Greek ethnicity in the Crane family line, either before or since.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BuskieBoy

    BuskieBoy

    [11]Oct 24, 2006
    • member since: 07/06/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 179
    Oh yeah, the Greek wedding one was forgettable. It was a bit out of character for the show.


    I just thought of another that didn't "feel" right. The one with the dead seal on the beach and Niles is trying to have a dinner party. It was silly and seemed contrived and forced.


    The thing about Frasier is that even the worst episodes are a bit funny. I really can't say there is an episode I hate. Every episode has at least a line or two that is funny! That's why it is SUCH a great show!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of chris52579

    chris52579

    [12]Oct 25, 2006
    • member since: 12/17/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 210

    BuskieBoy wrote:
    Oh yeah, the Greek wedding one was forgettable. It was a bit out of character for the show.

    I just thought of another that didn't "feel" right. The one with the dead seal on the beach and Niles is trying to have a dinner party. It was silly and seemed contrived and forced.

    The thing about Frasier is that even the worst episodes are a bit funny. I really can't say there is an episode I hate. Every episode has at least a line or two that is funny! That's why it is SUCH a great show!

    I agree  the greek was funny with Niles running away the whole show. But it did not fit....

    The Seal who came to dinner was good as it was excellent use of the Clapper.

    Niles --- " It's condition.. It's deceased and PRETTY DAMN PUNGENT IF YOU ASK ME..."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Diogo22

    Diogo22

    [13]Oct 28, 2006
    • member since: 06/09/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 704
    oddly enough, the whole second part of the plot of "the show where Sam shows up", now THAT felt forced. he was going to marry a woman, that by an amazing coincidence had slept with Frasier, cliff and Paul? there's an episode of "caroline in the city" for you. that felt totally sitcom premise. now, I know that's what frasier is supposed to be, but for me it was always based on more real stuff, than the traditional sitcom, maybe because of the excellent writting. they should have made that episode a reunion all the way through, instead of getting those first 2 great scenes, and then feeling the need to put a failed romance in there.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of D-LinkUK

    D-LinkUK

    [14]Nov 8, 2006
    • member since: 09/06/06
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 1,073
    Yes i agree one of the least favourite episodes was Beware of Greeks ( the Greek Wedding one ), but The Harassed for me was a very poor episode, it’s the one where KACL hire Julia Wilcox who becomes romantically involved with Frasier in a later series, anyway she’s hired to give stock market reports during Frasier's show but get’s on everyone’s wick, I thought it was a waste of an episode but again I think the writers only did this to introduce Julia as Frasiers next love interest. 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PikeBishop

    PikeBishop

    [15]Nov 10, 2006
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 878

    D-LinkUK wrote:
    Yes i agree one of the least favourite episodes was Beware of Greeks ( the Greek Wedding one ), but The Harassed for me was a very poor episode, it’s the one where KACL hire Julia Wilcox who becomes romantically involved with Frasier in a later series, anyway she’s hired to give stock market reports during Frasier's show but get’s on everyone’s wick, I thought it was a waste of an episode but again I think the writers only did this to introduce Julia as Frasiers next love interest. 

    Yeah, I thought that was a weak episode but that came from the end of the show where it was obvious the writers had run out of ideas and originality and settled into mediocrity. (Although to be fair, as I said about Cheers at the end as well, "A declining Frasier was still better than 90% or so of other tv shows"). So I tend to only consider shows as best or worst from the first eight or nine years.  Much as I liked to see it happen, once Niles and Daphne got together it was not the same show!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RedMarty

    RedMarty

    [16]Nov 14, 2006
    • member since: 10/19/06
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 36
    My Least favourites were always the Mel episodes, especially the spell of making Niles pretend he was her husband but most importantly her patheticness of how important it was for her to be seen as the long suffering blah blah blah.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tabbikattster

    tabbikattster

    [17]Dec 27, 2006
    • member since: 10/26/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,153
    I really hated Mel too.She was really annoying when she made Niles pretend that they were still married. And I agree that in 'The Whine Club' nothing really happened.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dovestones

    dovestones

    [18]Dec 27, 2006
    • member since: 08/09/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 140

    The episode with Niles in hospital awaiting his heart operation. I admire them for wanting to try something different but they seemed to forget they were making a comedy.

    The episode where Diane turns up wasn't great, neither was the episode where Frasier and Niles are pitted against each other in a court battle over the old man's sanity.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of yay_boredom

    yay_boredom

    [19]Dec 29, 2006
    • member since: 12/31/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 1,955
    The CHEERS episodes, most definitely.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drwoowoocl

    drwoowoocl

    [20]Jan 1, 2007
    • member since: 10/12/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 241
    A Word to the Wiseguy....It seemed like a plot from a lame 70s era sitcom.And the episodes where Daphne was supposedly fat, to explain her pregnancy.The whole concept seemed hackneyed and contrived.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.