Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Bad accents

Maverick405

[1]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 33

The Two Mrs Cranes is one of my favourite episodes. The only bad thing about this however, is the actor who plays Clive, he obviously went to the Dick Van Dyke school of English accents! It drives me nuts and I'm Scottish. Also Daphne has a number of brothers, most of whom, especially Simon, have southern english accents however, Daphne is supposed to be from Manchester in Northern England, quite a different accent!

Surely it would have been possible to find actors who could act using the relevant accent. I guess most Americans would not really pick up on this however it is as blatant as having a New Yorker trying to pass himself off as Texan.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bendthisfire

[2]Apr 1, 2008
    • level: 11
    Maverick405 wrote:

The Two Mrs Cranes is one of my favourite episodes. The only bad thing about this however, is the actor who plays Clive, he obviously went to the Dick Van Dyke school of English accents! It drives me nuts and I'm Scottish. Also Daphne has a number of brothers, most of whom, especially Simon, have southern english accents however, Daphne is supposed to be from Manchester in Northern England, quite a different accent!

Surely it would have been possible to find actors who could act using the relevant accent. I guess most Americans would not really pick up on this however it is as blatant as having a New Yorker trying to pass himself off as Texan.

Don't forget Simon was played by an Aussie, but still.

francklloyd

[3]Apr 10, 2008
    • level: 57
    Let's not forget the irony that John Mahoney (Martin Crane) has British roots. Born in Blackpool, he grew up in Manchester. (Apparently he gave Essex girl Jane Leeves some tips on the Manchester accent.) I wonder how he reacted to the peculiar imitations of British accents by some of the guest stars.

eimajamie

[4]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 9
    I know! I really annoys me aswell (as I'm from North-West England) it isn't just Frasier though most american shows portray english people wrong

bbrom00

[5]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 3
    I think it is not that there bad accents, but just a generic one. Not that many people in the states would know the difference between the accents of the areas of Great Britain. By the way, how many different accents are there?

hainesg324

[6]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 44
    I agree, the accents were dreadful. In England there are hundreds of different accents, all of which sound different but it you come from that area then you don't notice it and you sound normal. I think Simon's was one of the worst, but Robbie Coltrane who also played her brother was even more awful - definitely not from Manchester. Maybe they just picked English people they thought americans would know.

mazzles

[7]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    Daphne also spoke like an American in a couple of scenes because she was practising for something or other (can't remember exactly what), but it was very funny and her accent was terrible !

heiko97

[8]Aug 22, 2008
    • level: 2

hainesg324 wrote:
    Maybe they just picked English people they thought americans would know.

Well, the thing is, they almost never picked English actors to play English characters. The actor who played Clive in The Two Mrs. Cranes is not English, Anthony LaPaglia is Australian and Robbie Coltrane is Scottish. So no wonder their accents are all so bad