Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Crane arrogance - the worst instances

Onimusha1

[1]Apr 12, 2007
    • level: 7

Alright, anyone who's seen the show knows that the snobbishness of the Crane brothers is one of the driving forces of the show - usually seeing them fall flat on their asses when it backfires on them.

Sometimes, though, let's face it - sometimes they're just insufferable, to the point where you just want to reach through the screen and smack them in the face.

So what, in your opinion, are the worst examples of the arrogance of Fraiser and/or Niles Crane?

The one that comes readily to mind for me is in the third episode or so, where Martin takes them to that steakhouse and they start snobbishly mocking the place, like it's such an ordeal to eat freakin' steak - I was sorta surprised the writers didn't have them say "peasant food" at some point, given their attitudes. Martin's lecture at the end of the scene was great though.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seanlyger

[2]Apr 15, 2007

Can't argue with that pick.

In "The Focus Group", Niles offended Daphne when he said that "even" she could tell the difference between psychiatry and "cheap sensationalism".

chris52579

[3]Apr 16, 2007
    • level: 2

When they opened up the resturant even though martin warned them ....  They knew nothing about owning and operating the business and BOOM....

Roz : BIG BLUE FLAME.....CHERRIES EVERYWHERE.....

OTH- The episode witht he toilet  was hilarious  when Fraiser gives Billy Kreisel a swirly

the_chalee

[4]May 4, 2007
    • level: 8
    I enjoy this show and Frasier is my favorite character, but the number of times he tells Nile to 'shut up' or 'shut up you fool'. Or when he is trying to take him to task for 'lusting' after Daphne. I don't think I have missed any episodes, but do not remember one in which Niles ever told Frasier to shut up or called him a name like fool or idiot....

alanwarsap

[5]May 11, 2007
    All the times when they say they detest TV or sports, but love opera or wine/sherry.

usagisakura

[6]May 16, 2007
    • level: 11
    The one when they don't want to get cancelled tickets and they miss out on the play. On Frasier Crane day when Niles has to get new shoes. And in the one when they go to the spa and they think that special door leads to an area for more exclusive members and it's really the exit.

Onimusha1

[7]May 22, 2007
    Just thought of another one - anytime Frasier gets on Martin's case about taking care of Eddie. Sometimes he goes overboard, yeah, but treating him like a member of the family? Lots of people do that, yet Frasier seems to think it's asinine.

Onimusha1

[8]May 22, 2007

Another one I just saw on TV (this is Frasier talking to a caller whose car he scratched up while replacing a deflated tire):

"How much damage can cufflinks do to a car whose side window consists of duct tape and a Hefty bag?!"

That's right, doc - spit on the less well-off. Yeah, very compassionate stance

Edited on 05/22/2007 10:46pm

millerem99

[9]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 51

#2 Favorite Example of Crane arrogance: When Frasier is in the bookstore with the woman (unbeknownst to him) thatNiles wants him to date, and Niles is spying. Niles hastily picks up a book on racing when Frasier catches him. Frasier asks him, "Niles, what are you doing here?" To which Niles responds, "I was just readingup onNa-SCAR."

I hate NASCAR and I love that line.

#1 There was an episode in which Roz was dating some guy who is just awful, and the Crane brothers are trying to get her away from him, using any means possible. Frasier proposes getting her locked up in an insane asylum, and the two of them plot how to frame her on "insanity," and one of them says, "She did order White Zinfandel once."

(calling all wine snobs!)

Edited on 06/29/2007 5:19am

tabbikattster

[10]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 16
    chris52579 wrote:

When they opened up the resturant even though martin warned them .... They knew nothing about owning and operating the business and BOOM....

Roz : BIG BLUE FLAME.....CHERRIES EVERYWHERE.....

OTH- The episode witht he toilet was hilarious when Fraiser gives Billy Kreisel a swirly

Yeah, the resturant one is definately a great example. They knew veeeeeery well that they just don't get along, but they went for it anyways.

I also love the one with Billy, especially since John C. McGinely played him, which surprised me, since I was just getting into Scrubs at the time when I saw it...okay, that's a bit off topic, anyways, as I was saying...

One of my favorite examples is when Frasier learns that Niles has a higher IQ then him. Then they both act like idiots, trying to outdo each other. I mean, it's a really funny episode, but I did kinda wanna slap both of them, because it is quite obvious that they're both very smart.

Edited on 06/30/2007 12:01am
    Edited 2 total times.

ziel7

[11]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 10

the one, when frasier blocks the whole parking garage for "proving a point".

i just hated the writers for that episode - frasier looked like a really cheap guy, who wants free stuff...and is willing to ruin the day for everyone else because of that.

wolfdreamer3

[12]Jul 18, 2007
    mine would indeed be the episode of "moter skills" when Frasier and Niles both decide to take a Auto repair class and both act like asses in the class for just about the whole time.

BuskieBoy

[13]Jul 21, 2007
    • level: 22

(**spoiler below**)

As I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of the very same episode
    the author of this post did. The way they looked down their noses at the whole
    restaurant, waitresses and food was disgraceful.

Even if it wasn't to their tastes, at least enjoy it because your Dad is having a good
    time with out with his sons! GRRR! I wanted smack their heads together!

One good thing about their arrogance is that they most usually end up coming
    out looking like more the fools because of it. The best example is the episode
    "Door Jam" where their arrogance actually winds them up with the garbage in
    the back alley!

Edited on 07/21/2007 8:01pm

HoldMyBreath

[14]Nov 30, 2007

Frasier's refusal to believe that his dad can beat him at Chess.

Two of Niles' comments about Daphne's potential boyfriends come to mind - "the man has 'community college' written all over him" and "she needs a man for whom a T-Shirt is an undergarment".

Aldrius

[15]Dec 10, 2007
    • level: 10
    :

The guy was gonna sue him for helping him replace his tire...

A lot of really good examples. I love the one where he thinks he's got Martin's case figured out, and suspects that the monkey did it, when really a crooked cop did. That one's hilarious.

muffins3

[16]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 1

I remember Niles coming into cafe nervosa making a snide remark about psychologists not being as good as psychiatrists, I think Ross said she was dating one, any one remember that episode?

Kennymacdougall

[17]Dec 12, 2007
    • level: 22

Aldrius wrote:
    :
    The guy was gonna sue him for helping him replace his tire... A lot of really good examples. I love the one where he thinks he's got Martin's case figured out, and suspects that the monkey did it, when really a crooked cop did. That one's hilarious.

What a coincedence, I just saw that episode on tv! Hehe....

aspettig

[18]Dec 13, 2007
    I thought of one: When the owner of the station decides that each show on KACL needs a catchy jingle, and Frasier hires an orchestra and a choir and uses Niles to deliver a dramatic monologue.

NilesCranePhD

[20]Dec 24, 2007
    • level: 3

In Ham Radio when Fraiser complains about Mel's voice acting, saying that the voice he did on Broadway and the London Stage weren't good enough for him.