Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Everyone knows the moment this went from great to ordinary...

dovestones

[1]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 8

As soon as Daphne found out about Niles' feelings for her. That was always Frasiers trump card, a great running joke they could fall back on. As soon as they erased it they took some of the spark away from the show.

Where it was once demanding and undemanding in equal measure it soon came down to the level of Will & Grace or Everybody Loves Raymond. Not a good place to be.

It still remains one of my favourite sitcoms tho, but I feel it went on a bit too long in the end.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alanwarsap

[2]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 2
    Yes as soon as they hooked up the storylines seemed to dry up, gone were the storylines of Niles' infatuation with Daphne and so the series had to mostly rely on storylines involving Frasier and his search for love or Martin's dates. Can't agree with you about Everybody Loves Raymond though, my favourite (American) comedy since the depise of Frasier.

chris52579

[3]Nov 16, 2006

I don't think it ever really lost it's edge.   Once they got togather it was still better than most.  I think they had to get them togather it was getting on 8 years.

I think they  branched out a little after that with shows like High holidays,  Caught in the Act ( Nanny G episode ), the show where Roz and Frazier  " with the Z" hooked up.

RedMarty

[4]Dec 18, 2006
    • level: 3
    Yes i agree, ive always seen it the same way that when Niles and Daphne got together all of the spark went out of the show.

However i felt the Final Series had some very good moments.

But i wouldnt agree that Everybody Loves Raymond is a step down, Will and Grace certainly because that is terrible and thank christ its finished. King of Queen is abysmal along with Two And A Half Men. Frasier will never sink to them levels.

3swick

[5]Dec 19, 2006

"down to the level" of will and grace or everybody loves raymond?

at its best, it might be an equal to these shows, not the other way around.

now that will and grace is being played twice or more daily, its much easier to really evaluate the writing and the acting in that series.  It matured extremely fast and had incredibly witty banter throughout. they wrote edgy for 9 seasons!  thats near impossible!

in neither show can you saw that they jumped the shark.  you can argue that Frasier did.

seanlyger

[6]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 7

Frasier at its worst was better than Raymond or Will and Grace.

The show was good throughout. The Daphne and Niles situation had to come to a head eventually.

If they had dragged it out through the entire series we would have been sick of it by the end.

seanlyger

[7]Dec 20, 2006
    • level: 7

Oh, yeah, and don't ever say that everyone knows something, because you'll always be wrong.

Everyone knows nothing.

dovestones

[8]Dec 21, 2006
    seanlyger wrote:

Oh, yeah, and don't ever say that everyone knows something, because you'll always be wrong.

Everyone knows nothing.

Hope your satisfied. You can go live a happy life now.

luvNiles

[9]Dec 23, 2006
    I agree.....as much as we loved the years of Niles worshipping Daphne from afar, along with all his witty double-entendre remarks, there came a time when their relationship had to be taken to the next level....on to a different dimension.   I think the the writers made that occur at about the right time.   If Niles' pursuit had gone on much longer, it probably would have started to get a bit corny.    Once Niles and Daphne were settled, they were able to place more emphasis on Martin and Ronee's relationship.....and, of course, that of Frasier and Charlotte, who by the way, I thought was a horrible choice for Frasier.

luvNiles

[10]Dec 23, 2006
    By the way.....Will and Grace and Everybody Loves Raymond never even came close to the quality of Frasier during it's entire 11-year run.....in my opinion anyway.

Fairyfloz

[11]Dec 25, 2006
    • level: 5
    I agree! Some of he best moments in the series came out of Niles attraction to Daphne but the writers had to move on. Eventually it was a choice between Niles and Daphne getting together or Niles and Daphne getting together with other people. Their characters had to develop or it would eventually get boring. They still had funny story lines and witty jokes once Niles and Daphne got together. Some of the best storylines came about then. I don't think that Niles lost his touch at all once he was married, he made the series! They never lost their good storylines and the last season was one of the best. I never liked comedies such as Will and Grace and in my opion Frasier was always beter then any of them.

alanwarsap

[12]Feb 6, 2007
    Might the storylines also have been affected by the murder of David Angell on 9/11?
    Edited on 02/06/2007 7:34am

aguadalupita

[13]Feb 8, 2007
    • level: 1
    I like all 3 and buy the Seasons as soon as they are out. But I never thought about which was funnier than the other. Not until today. I realized that I play Frasier more than the others. I also play the first few seasons more than the last few seasons. But I never have cried during any sitcom than when I saw Daphney breaking down in the waiting room. That makes me cry everytime I see it.

alanwarsap

[14]Feb 9, 2007
    Ahh, so sad, the scene, not you.