Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Frasier quality question

05BlackV605

[1]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 2
    The family and I are currently tring to decide wether we want to get the complete series of Frasier or stop when it gets goofier. We have Fraisier 1-3 right now. The reason I ask is because I've heard the show gets weaker as time goes on. Honestly, I'd say go for all of them, but I just want to find out how bad it is or if it isn't THAT bad.....if that makes sense.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

luvNiles

[2]Nov 4, 2006

I am also in the process of buying the Frasier DVD's.   I just got Season 8 yesterday.   Unlike most people here, I imagine, I never watched the series during its run.   I discovered it about a year ago on late-night TV.   I loved it instantly.   However, at that time, they were running the very early episodes.

Being already up to Season 8, I have definitely noticed that the quality isn't what it was in the earlier episodes.   BUT, I still love it.   If you are only at Season 3, I highly recommend you don't stop there.   There are some hysterically funny episodes in later seasons.

I think the one thing that changes the course of the show is when Niles and Daphne finally get together.   This is what we've all been waiting for, of course, but after that happens, it's a little anti-climactic.....sort of like the thrill of the chase is gone.   They don't start really dealing with that until Season 8, though.  

Since they haven't come out with Seasons 9 and 10 yet, I only have one more to buy....that's the last season, Season 11.   I'm definitely going to buy it.   There is no way I wouldn't want to add the last season to the set.

So, I would tell you.....definitely buy the rest of the DVD's.   After all, this series is a classic.  Overall, each episode is something you and your family can watch over and over again and still laugh every time!

05BlackV605

[3]Nov 5, 2006
    luvNiles wrote:

I am also in the process of buying the Frasier DVD's.   I just got Season 8 yesterday.   Unlike most people here, I imagine, I never watched the series during its run.   I discovered it about a year ago on late-night TV.   I loved it instantly.   However, at that time, they were running the very early episodes.

Being already up to Season 8, I have definitely noticed that the quality isn't what it was in the earlier episodes.   BUT, I still love it.   If you are only at Season 3, I highly recommend you don't stop there.   There are some hysterically funny episodes in later seasons.

I think the one thing that changes the course of the show is when Niles and Daphne finally get together.   This is what we've all been waiting for, of course, but after that happens, it's a little anti-climactic.....sort of like the thrill of the chase is gone.   They don't start really dealing with that until Season 8, though.  

Since they haven't come out with Seasons 9 and 10 yet, I only have one more to buy....that's the last season, Season 11.   I'm definitely going to buy it.   There is no way I wouldn't want to add the last season to the set.

So, I would tell you.....definitely buy the rest of the DVD's.   After all, this series is a classic.  Overall, each episode is something you and your family can watch over and over again and still laugh every time!

Wow thanks for the in depth response luvNiles! I actually saw 8 and 11 in the store yestarday. I was looking for 4 and 5, but they were gone. I'll probably end up getting them all. Considering how pathetic modern TV is, the only thing we'll have is the classics. As it is we really only watch our DVD collection in terms of TV. The only new show they are still making I think is funny is Family Guy. Just mho.

From what I gather, no matter how "goofy" frasier or cheers got, it is nothing compared to the mindless stupid comedy of modern shows.

Thanks again luvNiles. Any more comments/suggestions welcome.

05BlackV6

Edited on 11/05/2006 8:02am

CSM135

[4]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 22
    I don't find that it gets goofier but it gets raunchier in the later seasons also i plan on getting every season of Frasier and Cheers.

luvNiles

[5]Nov 8, 2006
    Yes, it does get raunchier.....that too! - LOL :-)

D-LinkUK

[6]Nov 8, 2006
    • level: 24

I was probably one of the lucky ones ( and old enough ) to catch Frasier when it first aired on TV all them years ago, granted i didn’t start watching until near the end of the second season but i was instantly hooked and though I have got all but 2 seasons on DVD I still watch re-runs when ever there shown on TV.

The trouble is with any long running series you will always get a season or two that seems very poor in contrast to earlier seasons but I find they pick up the following season, as luvNiles said, the show sort of changed when Niles and Daphne finally got together, if you think about it we had gone through about 6 seasons of seeing Niles swooning and making a fool of himself over Daphne which in a way made Frasier but when they finally got together ( season 8 ) all the expectation and mystery of will they wont they disappeared, I’m not saying it made the rest of the series any worse but it did lack a certain something in latter seasons.

On a personal note ( and this is only my preference ) but my favourite seasons were 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 11 although I am a big Frasier fan and do intend to have all the seasons once the final 2 are released.

CSM135

[7]Nov 8, 2006
    I started watching a month after it was over.
    Edited on 11/08/2006 11:14am

05BlackV605

[8]Nov 8, 2006
    Raunchier huh? You mean they get very crude with their jokes? Interesting. So pretty much what I'm getting is watch up to season 7, where the show doesn't change dynamic very much, and then feel out the rest. I just bought seasons four and five yestarday and they should be coming tomm. Without any spoilers, what are some highlight episodes of seasons four and five?

CSM135

[9]Nov 8, 2006
    I have seasons 1-4 and my favorites in season 4 are Ham Radio and Death of the Dog.
    Edited on 11/08/2006 12:10pm

D-LinkUK

[10]Nov 8, 2006
    • level: 24

05BlackV605 wrote:
    Raunchier huh? You mean they get very crude with their jokes? Interesting. So pretty much what I'm getting is watch up to season 7, where the show doesn't change dynamic very much, and then feel out the rest. I just bought seasons four and five yestarday and they should be coming tomm. Without any spoilers, what are some highlight episodes of seasons four and five?

I cannot speak for everyone but personally by raunchier i would say that there was a lot more innuendo in season 8 onwards, there's no bad language or scenes of an adult nature but it get's a little smutty in episodes that not everyone would like.

As i said before i have nearly all of Frasier on DVD and enjoy all of them but i'm a die-hard Frasier fan, if you can then it's worth watching all the seasons but that depends on your own choosing and cost, as for favourites/worth watching on season 4 & 5 then my personal favourites are as follows

Season 4

Ep 1. The Two Mrs. Cranes
    Ep 6. Mixed Doubles
    Ep 14. To Kill a Talking Bird
    Ep 18. Ham Radio

Season 5 ( all of them ) but if i had to pick a few favourites then

Ep 2. The Gift Horse
    Ep 3. Halloween
    Ep 6. Voyage of the Damned
    Ep 9. Perspectives on Christmas
    Ep 10. The Ski lodge
    Ep 11. Room Service
    Ep 16. First Date

Hope this helps and enjoy season 4 & 5

chris52579

[11]Nov 8, 2006

luvNiles wrote:

Yes  seemsly starting with season 7 when daphne finds out and they start o get togather but in season 8-11 yes raunchersa nd vuler=)  funny stuff  coming from Niles.

there was one epsidoe where Niles and Daphne  have all sexual inuedno's towards Roz

CSM135

[12]Nov 8, 2006
    chris52579 wrote:

luvNiles wrote:

Yes  seemsly starting with season 7 when daphne finds out and they start o get togather but in season 8-11 yes raunchersa nd vuler=)  funny stuff  coming from Niles.

there was one epsidoe where Niles and Daphne  have all sexual inuedno's towards Roz

I've seen a little bit that episode and it is so funny when they do that to Roz.