Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

I don't get the show

ebbydmp

[1]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 13

I just recently started watching this show and I'm confused as to where these people come from and why they act he way they do. Like why do Frasier and Niles act like pompous boobs, while there father is your normal old guy. On top of that, these 2 would be friends with possibly the only(I'm exagerrating for emphasis) English woman in Seattle. Then there is Roz, who I still have yet to figure out what she does other than walk around with an attitude all the time.

I just don't understand how these people ended up in Seattle and why the brothers are therapists. I would think the brothers would live somewhere like New York or Connecticut and would be stock brokers or something because it seems to me the only thing they want to do is have perfect relationships, lots of material things, and people to show things of to.

Someone please explain these pretentious doofuses and their cohorts to me.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Frankburnsflagg

[2]Apr 5, 2008
    Ok. Well they're kind of based off of real-life therapists, who can sometimes act that way. A parody of them, so to speak. As for Roz, she works with Frasier as his program manager at the radio station, and is his friend as well. As for Martin, Frasier and Niles's dad -- he's a friendly man whose wife was more like Niles and Frasier. That's the main reason why they are so unlike their father.

I hope that this clears some things up for you somewhat, ebbydmp.

seinfeld111690

[3]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 25
    Frankburnsflagg wrote:
    Ok. Well they're kind of based off of real-life therapists, who can sometimes act that way. A parody of them, so to speak. As for Roz, she works with Frasier as his program manager at the radio station, and is his friend as well. As for Martin, Frasier and Niles's dad -- he's a friendly man whose wife was more like Niles and Frasier. That's the main reason why they are so unlike their father.

I hope that this clears some things up for you somewhat, ebbydmp.

As for Daphne(the English woman), she is Martin's physical therapist. Martin is a former police officer, and he was shot in the hip, I believe. Therefore he needs therapy.

You really need to watch Cheers (which Frasier is on) and the early seasons of Frasier if you really want to figure out how everything happened the way it did. It really doesn't take a genius to figure it out, as you made it out to be.

mvscali89

[4]Apr 5, 2008
    • level: 29

Frasier and Niles act the way the do because that's how their mother acted......Daphne is supposed to take care of Martin......Roz is the producer of Frasier's show. I think Martin had lived in Seattle before, and Niles lived somewhere else before, and Frasier lived in Boston MA (in Cheers) though once Martin had to quit the force, Niles and Frasier decided one of them had to live with him and they decided Frasier would. (first episode). So that's the show in general, and even though Frasier and Niles are a certain way, and even act that way, it seems one theme in the show is family- and more like friendships. They really do all care for each other (before Martin moved in with Frasier, they weren't as close with each other). So Roz is like a co-worker, but is also Frasier's friend, and Daphne works for the Cranes, but later becomes a friend/family. Hope that helps

ebbydmp

[5]Apr 6, 2008
    Thanks everyone, that clears some stuff up. I didn't start watching from the beginning that's why I was so confused about everything. Thanks again.

mvscali89

[6]Apr 6, 2008
    • level: 29
    You're welcome!

th77

[7]May 3, 2008
    • level: 24
    Someone mentioned the mom, if you ever catch the episode of Cheers that she appeared on (which was a contradiction in itself of the Frasier storyline)You'll see that she akes the two look like completely down to earth guys.. Which then brings the question of how Martin wound up with her!

Clefkid

[8]May 20, 2008
    • level: 2
    First of all, remember that it is a situation-comedy. We first meet (Kelsey Grammer as) Frasier about 20 years ago (1980's) when a young (29 year old) Kelsey joins the cast of "Cheers". When that show ended (?) his character moved to Seattle (constant references of this are made in the first 2 seasons of "Frasier"). At first, Frasier and his family are ill at ease with each other, but as the show progresses, they become closer, and the thought of one without the other is unbearable. One comedic foundation for the show is the fact that Frasier and Niles are so full of themselves and their ilk, while their dad is so down to earth even he wonders at times if the boys are his. Another source of comedic folly is the fact that at times, both Frasier and Niles act like "Queens", and many of the guest characters think they are gay but for the life of them, Frasier and Niles can't see it. Of course, the writing helps to give these episodes their comedic flavor. You don't have to watch "Cheers" to get to know Frasier, but it would help to introduce you to him and his ways. Be aware that there are contradictions everywhere (among them, while on "Cheers", Frasier remarks his dad is dead, yet the actor who plays his dad on "Frasier" appeared on "Cheers" as an insignificant character/actor). For those of us who knew Frasier when he (first) joined "Cheers", we get many of the inside jokes, but you don't have to watch "Cheers" to get Frasier's remark about playing a character for 20 years to know that James Arness of "Gunsmoke" is tied with Kelsey as being the only two characters (to date) who have played the same character for 20 years. It's not a perfect show, but some episodes are so very well written that those of us who love the show, and have our favorites, are willing to watch them over and over - in syndication or as a seasonal boxed-set. Give the show a chance. Then decide.