Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Niles and Mel

WS07PADRES

[1]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 3
    How longdo you think that marriage would have lasted? Same with Daphne and Donny.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tb485

[2]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 8
    Both probably would have lasted quite a while. I'm saying this based on how long Niles stayed with the domineering Maris. Also, how the long-suffering Daphne lived with Frasier all those years. Staying with Donnie (who really was sweetheart) would have been a breeze.

millerem99

[3]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 51
    Donnie a sweetheart??? Yikes. I think he was a self-serving skank of a man, not nearly good enough for Daphne!

PiperPrueLover4

[4]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 18
    Agreed! He was going to sue Daphne and Frasier just because she didn't want to marry him! As for Mel, she would have dominated Niles like Maris did until eventually he cracked.

Orcmors

[5]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 6
    I was just re-watching season 7 the other day. Here's my take.

Donny just snapped. Being ditched on the day you're supposed to get married can do that to someone. He did drop the lawsuit later and he was the perfect boyfriend throughout their relationship.

Mel truly loved Niles. Though manipulative, the stuff she did are for Nile's good. She was even willing to lose her practice to be with him.

Personally, I think the writers demonized Mel and Donny during season 8 to lessen the impact of what Daphne and Niles did.

Even if Frasier never intervened, I'd like to believe that Niles and Daphne still would've found each other eventually. Niles never did stop loving Daphne and probably vice versa. So I would say that the marriages probably wouldn't have lasted very long.

millerem99

[6]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 51

Still can't agree on either of those two as being choice significant others!

Donnie trying desperately to persuade Frasier to hire a stripper behind Daphne's back right before the wedding, especially when she'd expressly said it was revolting and forbidden, is not my idea of an ideal boyfriend. As far as cold, calculating Mel, I guess I don't equate manipulation, even if it is for someone's own good, with love.

I think both Donnie and Mel were both very selfish and didlittle to bring out the good in Daphne nor Niles. If they had truly loved them and not just out of self-interest, it probably would have been returned more sincerely.

cherrytree34

[7]Sep 18, 2007
    • level: 13
    I completely agree. Donny was an attorney, so he knew how to talk smoothly, but he was a creep. I mean, he sued after the wedding. That is NOT a normal response. I understand his heart was broken, but that was just pure vindictiveness on his part. And Mel was so manipulative and evil. Poor Niles would never have been happy with her, and Daphne would have eventually discovered what a jerk Donny was underneath his charming exterior and she would have been miserable too.

chris52579

[8]Oct 23, 2007
    • level: 2

They would have eventually found out about each other's feelings.

Pahne would have dealt with Donny but then fallen for Niles like she did.

Niles would have been the whipping boy again for another crazy thin nut job. I would have felt for him.

myopics

[9]Oct 28, 2007
    • level: 12
    Donny was still a stand up guy to me. I don't think that stripper thing was a big deal, even if Daphne found out, she would have been angry for a day tops. Had Daphne not found out about Niles' feelings and fallen for him herself, I would think that her and Donny would have settled into marital life just fine.

Niles, on the other hand, would always have harboured feelings for Daphne. His marriage to Mel was implusive and for the wrong reasons, I'm not too sure it would have worked out even without Frasier intervening. Just because any woman Niles persues, no matter how sincerely he feels for her, would always be his second choice.

dw7557

[10]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 1
    Never could figure out why they brought in Donny for Daphne. He was definitely not good enough for her. Kinda slimy. Cross-eyed (sorry, but true) and too short for her. I did like the fix it guy they brought on for her though. Only one show I think. Was his name Joe? Anyway, Donny didn't fit.

wolfdreamer3

[11]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 7
    I agree with tb485.