Frasier Forums

NBC (ended 2004)

Which is the better Frasier...

Hungry_Homer111

[1]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 26
    The one on "Cheers," or the one on "Frasier"? I know it's the same character, I'm just wondering whether you prefered him on "Cheers" or "Frasier." I prefer him on "Cheers." I think he was funnier on there. I like "Frasier," but I think the character was better on "Cheers."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

GusF

[2]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 38
    I preferred him on "Cheers" as well.

atecom01

[3]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 15
    I suppose on Cheers he had a bigger task for humour, whereas in Frasier he has his Dad, brother etc. They all shared in the humour so there was a lot less for him.

b2c3

[4]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 10
    I've only seen a handful of cheers episodes, and every episode of Frasier, but i know there is a lot more Frasier on cheers, another however many seasons of it. which season did he come on, im pretty sure he wasn't in the first season. are the cheers seasons worth watching if you're a big fan of Frasier? i'm guessing yes, but was never really interested in most of the other characters. Also not really wanting to shell out the cash for the DVD's, unless their packed with funny Frasier moments.

Hungry_Homer111

[5]Nov 25, 2005
    Frasier came in on the 3rd season. He had a lot of great moments. They mentioned on "Frasier" many of the major developments that Frasier went through on "Cheers." This is where he met Dianne, and almost married her, until she left him at the alter (although they was only mention on "Cheers, they didn't show it). This was where he met Lilith, they got married, separate, and got back together at the end. This is where he almost committed suicide. He also had many good individual episodes. One was where Carla was afraid to fly, so Frasier offered to help her get over her fear, and at the end they made him scared of flying. Frasier's bachelor party before he married Lilith was great. In one episode, I think it was after Dianne left him at the alter, Frasier wanted to become carefree, and a little reckless, and so he runs with scissors. Also, the other characters sometimes played jokes on Frasier. One time, they took Frasier out Snipe hunting, and left him in the woods. At the end, Frasier got them all back. Those are a few of the moments I remember, but there have been a lot more.

Hungry_Homer111

[6]Nov 25, 2005
    Somebody posted on the "Cheers" message board something which sums up what I think about both "Frasier" and "Cheers," and, by doing so, he made me realise what I want to say about the difference in the character between the two shows. He said that "Frasier" has more refined and subtle humor, than. The writers did this on purpose. Frasier was the kind of character who, as we all know was smart and sophisticated. Even though Cheers had some brilliant moments, I assume that they wanted to make the show smarter than "Cheers," because Frasier was smarter than most of the characters on the show. In doing this, they had to adjust Frasier's character to fit in with the show. They wanted him to be a more competent psychologist. On "Cheers," he had many aspects to him that would not fit into the show, so they changed him. However, they didn't change him so much that fans of his from "Cheers" wouldn't like him anymore.

Diogo22

[7]Nov 28, 2005
    I believe it was me who posted on the other forum. thanx for comenting. other thing KG commented about Frasier, is that, in being the center of a show, a character has to be a little more round, more "normal", believable. on cheers, at various moments Frasier was more of a source of mockery and pranks from the other bar patrons. to see an example of this see "the heart is a lonely snipe hunter" from the 3rd season of cheers.
    as he got his own show, Kelsey made sure, and commented as such, that he gave sound and truthful advice on his radio show, to establish the character as a professional, and credible individual. if you think about it, if a character in comedy has a sound and truthfull base to him, it's easier than to sell the more comedic stuff, because he already gained the respect and the caring of an audience.
    that being said, the "Frasier" frasier more, although as an ensemble cast I loved both shows the same. 2 incrible casts of wonderful characters.
    another thing KG managed to do was deal with the pompousiness of Frasier in a funny way, so that he never came across as rude, and an "i'm above all of these people" kind of character, a thing the cheers gang sometimes didn't do with Diane Chambers.

Hungry_Homer111

[8]Nov 28, 2005
    Yeah, that is true. Another thing I'd like to mention, which is a little off the topic of this thread, but which follow from Diogo22's post, is that David Hyde Pierce also did a great job doing almost the same kind of pompousness as Frasier's, with just a little more of the "i'm above all these people" attitude, but still having Niles be a likable character.

Also, you were the person who I was talking about.

Diogo22

[9]Nov 29, 2005
    exactly. and in doing so, he made Frasier and Niles into one of the best comedy duos of recent TV. unfortunately the sitcom genre seems to be less and less present on tv nowadays. Frasier was one of the last great ones. bring it back!!

Kennymacdougall

[10]Dec 3, 2005
    • level: 22
    I think it's really cool that both actors almost even looked like real brothers
    I've only seen a few cheers eps and frasier, and I love them both!

trapshoot41

[11]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 1
    Hello to all Frasier fans! I am desperately trying to locate the one episode where Frasier was grinding coffee and Niles had his hand in the garbage disposal the same time that Frasier turned on the grinder. Does anyone know which season that one was on? Thank you so much. My e-mail address is trapshoot41@jobe.net. I just joined so I hope that this is the correct way to find answers to certain questions. Thank you again, Karen

Spyrick

[12]Dec 7, 2005
    • level: 35
    Everyone has such remarkable perceptions of the two 'Fraiser's, I almost feel ashamed to admit that I prefered Frasier in 'Frasier' more. In Cheers, I never really took notice of him, all he was to me was some guy who was afraid of his wife.

MissyPea

[13]Dec 23, 2005
    • level: 5
    Spyrick wrote:
    Everyone has such remarkable perceptions of the two 'Fraiser's, I almost feel ashamed to admit that I prefered Frasier in 'Frasier' more. In Cheers, I never really took notice of him, all he was to me was some guy who was afraid of his wife.

I feel the same way... I wasn't that old when I watched the Cheers episodes though (didn't watch all of them).. I noticed Woody most... So I can't really say which I like better.. But my opinion of Frasier on 'Frasier' actually changes depending on the episodes... Some episodes I don't like him and some I love him..

port5170

[14]Jan 3, 2006
    • level: 12
    In Cheers I was not a frasi er fan.. I liked Woody Sam.. whoever he was good ,but not that much of the show, I came to enjoy the Charecter on frasier.. and the supporting cast helped soo much Martin ,Niles and my fave Eddie hehe.. so the frasier frasier is the best

wheresmy9wood

[15]Jan 6, 2006
    • level: 1
    On his early appearances of Cheers he sits at the bar with this stupid grin on his face waiting for line.The writers would not wont to show up Ted Danza by giving Frasier the best jokes.

april-rose01

[16]Jan 27, 2006
    • level: 3
    He was good in cheers but i liked him better as a character in Frasier, everything just fitted better, maybe because his character was suited to being the central character rather than one of the more auxilliary ones.

The relationship with Niles beats anything he did in cheers.

francklloyd

[17]May 28, 2007
    • level: 56
    I liked him best in Frasier because he took on a double role: he was funny on his own AND he could be the straight man to the other characters.

seinfeld111690

[18]Jun 13, 2007
    • level: 25
    atecom01 wrote:
    I suppose on Cheers he had a bigger task for humour, whereas in Frasier he has his Dad, brother etc. They all shared in the humour so there was a lot less for him.

On Cheers he had Sam, Woody, Norm, Cliff, and many others. He was not even the main character in Cheers so obviously there was alot more of him in Frasier.

PiperPrueLover4

[19]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 18
    trapshoot41 wrote:
    Hello to all Frasier fans! I am desperately trying to locate the one episode where Frasier was grinding coffee and Niles had his hand in the garbage disposal the same time that Frasier turned on the grinder. Does anyone know which season that one was on? Thank you so much. My e-mail address is trapshoot41@jobe.net. I just joined so I hope that this is the correct way to find answers to certain questions. Thank you again, Karen

Hey Karen
    I didn't want your question to go unanswered. I'm sorry, I don't know what episode or season that was but you should know that if you want a question answered, the standard procedure is to start a thread of your own with the question as the title. Welcome to TV.com, see you around the boards

I like Frasier better on Cheers. He is more classy there and more elitist, which I like in a comedy- people thinking they are better. He did show this in Cheers but not to the same extent. Plus Niles, Roz, Daphne and Martin compliment him very well.

captainmidnght

[20]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 2
    Frasier First Daylight Second