Frasier

Ham Radio

Aired Unknown Apr 22, 1997 on NBC

• Frasier acts in and directs an old radio play with predictably dismal results.

I actually bought the Season 4 DVD so I could watch this episode (and others from the season) whenever I chose. This was before my DVR days, but what the heck. I first saw this episode on AFN (American Forces Network) TV when I lived in Germany, and I taped it for my husband, who was in Bosnia at the time. He didn't find it quit as side-splitting as I did. Kelsey Grammer as Frasier is in fine form, splitting hairs, directing everything (and everyone) to death, and spouting bon mots left and right. He and David Hyde Pierce as Niles just bounce the zingers off each other with no effort at all. This was a laugh-out-loud funny episode, a real screamer. The scene where Niles finally had had enough of his brother's direction, even after he had warned Frasier to knock it off, was priceless. Within 30 seconds, his radio character had killed everyone off, ending the play with 9 minutes to spare, and causing the studio audience to howl with laughter. Pride definitely goeth before the fall, and Frasier is nothing if not proud. What a riot. The episode shown on TV is cut (to allow for more commercials), so I don't bother watching when it's on my local station. If you haven't seen it yet, watch it!