Frasier

Mixed Doubles

Aired Unknown Nov 19, 1996 on NBC

• "Niles! Whatever you do, do not engage him in a physical fight! The whole thing would just look too weird!"....

Coming home earlier than usual from a date with her boyfriend Joe, Daphne tells Frasier, Niles, and Martin that Joe has dumped her. After Frasier talks Niles out of asking Daphne out on the night that she has been dumped Daphne ends meeting a man that night anyway - a man just like Niles.

"Mixed Doubles" is one of the best episodes from the fourth season of Frasier and has one of the most memorable Frasier storylines ever: the Niles clone dating Daphne. Then there is Niles' own trip to the singles bar which is just as funny, featuring Niles squeamishly saying to Roz "well, I'm here - I forgot to gargle, I'm wearing mismatched socks, and I'm so nervous I could wet myself." Hilarious!
  • After being dumped by her boyfriend Daphne picks up a guy who is just like Niles at a singles bar.

Niles finally gets the courage to tell Daphne how he fells about her, but Frasier advises against it, claming it will be a big mistake.

However Roz takes Daphne to a singles bar called "The Sure Thing" and while there Daphne picks up a man that acts just like Niles, everybody can see it, and after awhile Niles finally realizes it too.

So Niles goes to the same bar and meets a woman named Adelle and they hit it off.

Niles later on finds Adelle at Cafe Nervosa with Rodney, Daphne's boyfriend; he then tells Rodney that he will tell Daphne that Rodney is dumping her.

When Niles arrives at the restaurant where Daphne was suppose to meet Rodney, she tells him that Rodney already tell her, they then sit and talk about their love lives, with Daphne misinterpreting several of Niles' hints that he likes her.

A great episode about Niles and Daphne, by picking somebody that acts like Niles, shows that Niles does have a chance with Daphne.
  • Life gets in the way of love, again!

Great episode. It combines 2 minor story arcs with a 3rd which was to become a major story. Frasier vs Eddie and Roz's private life gets a longer outing and the Daphne and Niles story seems to get some head of steam up. It's one of the funniest and saddest episodes of the whole series. Martins response to Niles and Rodney meeting at Frasiers is pure classic. When his friend Duke calls Martin fobs him off with a "Not now Duke, I'm in the Twilight Zone" had me laughing so much I had to pause the TV because I was missing the dialogue. It's hard to believe that it took the writers another 90 episodes for Daphne to know how Niles feels and another 48 episodes on from that before they marry. This sets the groundwork for the kind of relationship they would have all the way through - the writers mae sure that they would really love each other on so many levels.
    After so much laughter the pathos of the final scene stands in stark relief.
  • Great Niles/Daphne episode

The earlier Niles and Daphne centered episodes are absolute gold. This is one of the best ones. As a sort of precursor to season 5's "First Date," we see Niles for the first time attempt to confess to Daphne his true feelings for her. Even though I desperately wanted him to succeed, there was nothing I could do to keep from laughing at the situation or feel the slightest bit sorry for him. I believe that the Niles dopelganger is one of the best concepts the show has ever produced. Absolutely hilarious. I did however feel sorry for him during the final scene. It was actually very sad to see Niles shot down like that, but I suppose it was essential to the overall plot of the show. A perfect blend of strong humor and sorrow.