Frasier

Something Borrowed, Someone Blue (2)

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 18, 2000 on NBC

• A wonderfully written and acted episode which blends comedy with seriousness in an excellent way!

The classic plotline of someone (a male usually) lusting for someone else secretly (a female usually) is tricky. It can go wrong and end up being a worn-out plotline concerning two people horribly wrong for each other (Ross and Rachel anyone?), it can end up as a huge let-down after a long build-up, and it can end up great. In this case I think it ended up great.
    True to how the plotline usually goes Daphne found out about Niles' secret affection several episodes back. She seemed to be pendling back and forth in her emotions before finally deciding she had to tell Niles. Then the road to happiness got rockier since Niles eloped with his girlfriend Mel. On the nigh before Daphne's wedding Niles finds out that she knows and confronts her.
    As for this episode and the "conclusion" of this storyline there were three things I found to be excellent.
    First of all I thought Daphne was well-written in this episode. Her emotions make sense to me; she can't see everything crystal clear and she doesn't know what to do. Both through great writing and acting we can follow her feelings even when she tries to hide them after finding out about Niles and Mel. And when she learns that he would leave her for Daphne she does not just toss aside her whole life; she realises the problems and adresses them. And she thinks about other people but herself, not wanting her happiness at the cost of someone else's.
    The second thing is the scene out on the balcony with Daphne and Niles. The tosses from nervousness to happiness to sadness work really well and the whole thing has a beautiful Romeo&Juliet sense to it with the balcony setting, fitting for someone as Shakesperian as Niles. It also explained both Niles and Daphne's feelings and thoughts in a great way.
    The third element to this episode, the doubtlessly best one, is the acting by David Hyde Pierce. He is absolutely superb in the scenes after he has found out about Daphne's feelings. Especially out on the balcony, where he is hopeful, happy and scared all at once. You can really feel how close he is to get everything he's ever wanted and how he knows that if it does not happen now it never will. There are really no words to describe how taken I was by his excellent performance in this episode!
    These are the three top reasons why I think this episode is one of the best I've ever seen, but there are other reasons as well. This episode combined comedy and drama in a very natural way. When I watch these types of sit-coms with live studio audience laughing I don't want the drama parts, I don't feel like they belong in that type of medium, not the really dramatic ones. But in this episode I thought it worked very well. And it made me a fan of a show I had only watched from time to time before.
    If you only watch one conclusion of a will-they-won't-they storyline... let it be this one!