Frasier

The Doctor Is Out

Aired Unknown Sep 30, 2003 on NBC

• Frasier's love for opera combined with Roz's new (gay?) boyfriend leads to Fraiser outing himself on the radio...

Well written episode with all of Fraiser's weakness for opera, attention and status on display. Patrick Stewart is the unambiguously out director of the Seattle Opera. They meet at Cafe Nervosa. Fraiser and Niles are smitten with opera lust. Roz's new boyfriend is detected as possibly gay by Fraiser and Niles. This leads to a visit to a gay bar in tight white shorts by Frasier.

The next day Frasier accuses a caller of not being truthful and is outed on the air. Frasier's response: "As to how I got in another man's shorts---that's no one's business but my own!"

Partick Stewart's character is sympathetic which leads to Frasier and he becoming Seattle's new power couple, which Frasier doesn't see as a problem. Brilliant and witty, a classic episode, with Keenan's genius for mixing gay and straight with hysterical results on full display.
  • Roz gets a new boyfriend.

Frasier and Niles meet Roz's new boyfriend, and assume that he is gay buy the way he talks and acts.

Frasier however meet Alistair Burke, who is a member on the opera board and takes a liking to Frasier, Frasier doesn't think anything about it in fact he likes the idea of being one half of a power couple, and enjoys all of the fine things he gets to enjoy.

Its not until Alistair wants to take things further that’s Frasier finally reveal to him that he is not gay Patrick Stewart is a superb actor and he pulled of the Part of Alistair Burke very well.

I also enjoyed the whole scene at Bad Billy's and everyone thinking Frasier was gay because of his shorts, and because he went into a gay bar, priceless.
  • hahah, one of the funniest episodes ever.

This would have to be one of the funniest episodes of Frasier yet... even though it did get cancled. Wearing tight pants and going into a "men" bar, when Frasier is on radio, one of his audience calls him "men-love" (sorry, not sure if were allowed to say g.. on www.tv.com). It's so funny because Frasier doesn't even know that it's happendining intill the end. It's so funny how he mistakes Frasier for a g**. Anyways, even if this would have happend to be the only season I've seen of this show, it is the best... and it was so funny how Niles was jealous of Frasier.
  • The "getting outed" episode comes to Frasier. While the topic has come up many times, it's never been hit as head on as this episode does, with an excellent cast and a wonderful job of keeping the humor on, and the offensiveness off.

The first thing that should be mentioned is the subject matter of this episode. It's the "Frasier is sighted in a gay bar", that's the premise. However for a show that prides itself on trying to take the high road (even when the main character fails to) it remains intellectual rather than perverse. The setup is that the brothers (Niles and Frasier) see a new boyfriend of Roz's who they assume is gay ducking into a corner hide out, which turns out to be a gay bar, where one of Frasier's acquaintances is tending bar. However Roz's new boyfriend was never in the club, as Niles finds out while waiting outside. Of course a listener finds out about this, and discusses it on the air, which is the titular "outing". Frasier then runs into a director for the theater, played by an immensely funny Patrick Stewart, and they start enjoying each other's company. Niles believes the director is actually dating Frasier, while Frasier denies or ignores it. However the audience is left to wonder until the final minutes of the episode, when it becomes painfully obvious to everyone, with Frasier of course being the last to find out. Expertly delivered, the cast rises to the challenge of making this a well delivered punchline to a very funny episode.

Overall it's an interesting set of circumstances and the jokes are delivered expertly (as usual) but the subject matter is handled so well that one can't help but enjoy themselves.

This episode takes the title of "best 'outing'" episode" in my book, taking it away from the Seinfeld's "The outing" episode. While both are good, this one avoids absurd puns and catchphrases and instead gives us an interesting and wonderfully hilarious episode to enjoy.

The only true negative on this episode is the inclusion of Gil Chesterton who while funny in his own place, gets a bit too much exposition and officially outs himself through both actions and words. This comes as no shock to fans, but it gives a bit of finality to the character, as this was his one true joke, and while it was fun while it lasted, it etches the character's orientation into stone.
  • One of the greatest episodes of Fraiser!

I need your help! Can anyone tell me the name of the music being played by a string quartet during the scene "The queerness of you"? I absolutely loved the music, it fit right in!!! What a fine cast who really showed off their acting chops in this episode. Patrick Stewart is amazing and Fraiser really got the opportunity to show off his craft. Daphne even with facial expressions pulled off a wonderful performance of caring and concern without being judgmental. Niles really had some great lines to deliver and Dad well he's just awesome! I just loved the coffee examples! :)
  • Hilarious.

The episode finally toyed around with the idea of Frasier being gay We all knew that wasn't throughout the entire episode, yet it confirmed just how similar Frasier is to what people perceive a gay person to be. Frasier has all the makings of an elderly gay man, and even though it may be stereotypical, it's just the way it is.

The reactions of Frasier's family after he got publicly "outed" for going into that bar were just hilarious, as was Frasier when he decided to go along with it just to get to different places with that opera guy. The episode was just too funny for words.

7.2
    "And you are? Don't tell me.... alright, tell me."

Frasier started to rely on guest stars a little bit too much late in its run (ala Will and Grace) but you really cannot complain about a guest spot by Patrick Stewart. He was funny here as an openly homosexual theatre producer (producing plays that no one left during!) and the situation with him wooing Frasier was well-done, even if it was a bit degrading to homosexuals out there.

While this is certainly not as good as some of the classics out there, you can not be human and not laugh at this.
  • Funny, but not the best.

This episode did have a lot of funny little moments, between Frasier and Niles at the gay bar ("I'm begging you, please take me home!"), Gil's "support" when Frasier is inadverdently outed on the air, Niles being jealous of the attention Frasier is getting from the director, and Frasier's denial that his new friend thinks of the two of them as a couple. However, I think some of the other gay-themed episodes from past seasons worked a little better. (Such as "The Matchmaker" and "Out With Dad.") It was so obvious that the director was treating Frasier like a boyfriend, it was a wonder he didn't figure it out sooner. Also, the whole setup for Niles and Frasier going to the gay bar felt somewhat contrived. (Since when does Niles wear shorts to play Squash? And why were they walking home?)

Not related to the main story, but I didn't like that Niles blatently lied to Daphne about where he was going, and then we were never shown a scene with him fessing up to it. He's so ethical, it seems oddly out-of-character for him, even if he didn't want to listen to Mrs. Moon complain about her "female problems" all afternoon. Usually "Frasier" has its characters come clean at the end of an episode, and I find it hard to believe we're supposed to root for Niles lying to his wife. Perhaps they just ran out of time given all the other subplots in the episode.

Also, I didn't realize Roz's boyfriend lived *beside* the gay bar until after the episode was over! And unlike others, I didn't mind that Gil was seen going into the bar at the end. I feel like it still wasn't "conclusive" evidence - he could have just been checking it out. (No more conclusive evidence than any of his other behaviors, I think.)