Frasier

The Good Son

Aired Unknown Sep 16, 1993 on NBC

• About this episode

It had wonderful written and directing.
  • Gold from the Beginning

This pilot was won of the best written funniest pilots ever in television history. It would go on to win writing for a comedy series at the 1994 Emmy Awards. This was the first of many funny episodes and would be a wonderful start to a classical eleven year series
  • The premiere.

The premiere of the long-running show was amazing in every sense of the word. Each part of Frasier's life was beautifully portrayed and introduced to the viewers. I never watched Frasier during his Cheers days, so this was a new experience for me, but for now each character is intriguing in its own way.

I have watched the entire show already once, and am beginning to watch it again, and it's bittersweet to see how great the pilot was. The jokes are all quite clever, and I'm loving the ride to where it all began. It's weird how everyone's story is just about to start.
  • Frasier Debuts

The Pilot is the best setup for a brilliant show. The beauty is the immediately recognisable characters who as an audience we warm to a few lines in. Niles 'and speaking of that i heard your show today'
    Daphne 'Oh you've caught me with me hand in the basket case'
    Martin 'Thanks if i hadn't lived here my entire life i would never have noticed'
    Roz doesn't really have much development other than her sarcastic tone. Lupe Velez was pretty interesting.
    Kelsey comes off the best with his nervous pompous portrayal of Frasier. He is different to the Frasier of Cheers, but that's all explained in the season 3 finale. A Pilot truly worthy of its emmy awards
  • The pilot episode sets up Frasier Crane adjusting to his move from Boston back to his hometown of Seattle. He has found a job as a radio talk show host dispensing advice (He is a Freudian-style psychiatrist). He and his dad have to learn how to get along.

The pilot episode of Frasier is great. It sets up the quirky characters of the show: Frasier, his brother Niles, who are slightly snobby, their down-to-earth father Martin (who has a strained relationship with his sons). It is explained that Frasier and Niles took after their mom, a more artsy, sensitive person. Martin's personality has an edge, to be sure! Martin's Manchester, England-born home health care worker Daphne and Frasier's producer/call screener, hot to trot Roz, round out the cast. Martin is a former policeman who was shot in the line of duty. He can't live on his own any more, so Frasier and Niles decide that they would pool resources to pay for a home health worker and that Martin would move in with Frasier (Niles and his wife Maris - who is never shown the whole run of the show – declined to take Martin into their own home. Chaos ensues in Frasier's apartment while Frasier and Martin try to learn how to live together with their differences in personalities and styles, such as Martin's hideous chair that really clashes with Frasier's upscale furniture. The ultimate change to Frasier's life is Eddy, Martin's Jack Russell Terrier dog, who loves to creep Frasier out by sitting right by him and just staring at him. He was expecting Daphne to be a part-time helper, to be around when Frasier couldn't be there. But due to a misunderstanding at the home health care agency, Daphne thought she was going to be a live-in helper and had no place to live, so Frasier makes even one more sacrifice and gives up his study as a room for Daphne. It's a well-written, well-acted introduction to this excellent show!
  • I thought that this episode was the most beautifully written pilot. Great casting and directing

I had found one major observation for both of the pilot episode and the series finale of Frasier. The chair that Niles moved in the pilot was not the one moved in the finale. It was not the chair that Frasier brought down in the finale, but a different one instead. You should watch the pilot episode and the finale too see what I am talking about.

• This pilot will go down in television history as one of the of the best written, directed, acted and most intelligent comedy pilots.

Quiet possibly one of the best pilots in television history, not just in terms of acting but also a brilliantly written and directed episode. The three writers/creators deliver each character in the perfect way beginning with Frasier and Roz with the former on the radio giving advice in both a serious and comical way. In just the short time with see the characters of Frasier and Roz together its obvious that Kelsey Grammer and Peri Gilpin have great chemistry, as if having worked together for years.
    The introduction of Frasier’s brother Niles, played by the ever great David Hyde Pierce, is delightful. In most comedies the writers would have the brothers to be completely opposite of one another so their contrasts would be funny but these three writers/creators got it right by making the brothers the same, both psychiatrist both pompous. Some see Niles the way Frasier was when the latter first walked into a bar in Boston nines years prior. We see a very important part of Niles’s character when he wipes down his chair with a handkerchief showing how meticulous he is, this piece of brilliance was James Burrows's, who directed the pilot, idea. We also hear the first of Maris, Niles’s never seen wife.
    The next scene shows great talent from Kelsey Grammer with not a word been said as he disconsolately trudges across his beautifully decorated apartment to let his father Martin, played by the talented John Mahoney, in as he is moving into Frasier’s apartment. Right away we see the contrasts between Martin and his two sons and we also see Martin’s distaste at having to move in with Frasier because of his bad hip. Frasier’s reaction to Martin’s chair is hilarious but one of the most hilarious and side splitting scenes is with Martin’s dog Eddie just staring at Frasier making him feel very uncomfortable.
    Frasier and Niles decide to get their father a physical therapist to help him with his exercises and take care of the apartment. With the interview of Daphne Moon, played by the lovely Jane Leeves, we can see that Martin doesn’t like the idea of having to be taking care of but as the Manchester born Moon begins to aggravate Frasier she begins to grow on Martin getting the job and adding another person to Frasier’s househol. The scene involving both Frasier and Martin was a risky scene to do in a comedy pilot with no funny jokes and a serious ending to their argument about the way Martin has been treating Frasier. The scene was a chance made by the three writer/creators and Kelsey Grammer and John Mahoney pulled it off.
    The ending of the episode takes full advantage of Frasier’s new career as Martin calls he to talk to him about the trouble he’s having with his son. We see here how difficult it is for Martin to talk about his feelings, something that will slowly change as he evolves through the next few years.
    The ending credits show Martin, Eddie, Frasier and Daphne watching the television with Eddie staring at Frasier. This brings to an end one of the best written, directed, acted and most intelligent comedy pilots in television history.
  • The first ever episode of Frasier

Introduction to all the character starting with Frasier and Niles in Cafe Nervosa. The Radio Station program with Roz Doyle. Then we get to meet Martin Crane and his dog Eddie. We get a great view of Frasier's apartment from the introduction of Martin's Lazy Boy to all of Frasier's furniture and art. The introduction of Daphne Moon and her psychic abilities. A very solid introduction to my favourite series of all time. Martin's phone call to Frasier calling into the show was good. Good to see some witty comments from Niles and talking about Maris the wife that we'll never see.
  • Probably one of the funniest pilots I have evr seen in my whole entire life...

Frasier Crane, everyone's favorite self-absorbed psychiatrist from "Cheers," moves back to his hometown of Seattle. He has a promising new job as a radio psychiatrist, and he's living in a beautifully furnished apartment. Then his brother, Niles, informs him that their father, a retired policeman who was wounded in the line of duty, can no longer live alone. Frasier realizes that a nursing home would be too harsh for Martin, so reluctantly, he invites Martin to move in with him. But Frasier gets more than he bargained for when a psychic English homecare specialist and Martin's four-legged companion join them. This pilot was without a doubt hilarious what a way to kick off one of the most intelligent and most hilarious shows to ever air on all of TV.
  • I very much liked this episode which started a great era and following for one of the best \"Spin-Offs\" of all time. One Problem, when on Cheers Frazier said on atleast one occasion that his father had passed away. HMMMM!!!

I very much liked this episode which started a great era and following for one of the best \"Spin-Offs\" of all time. One Problem, when on Cheers Frazier said on atleast one occasion that his father had passed away. HMMMM!!! How could this be when the show centered around Frazier and his Father???
  • What a clever way to introduce a new series!

As in all new television shows, the main characters must be introduced. The makers of Frasier did a wonderful job of this by introducing the characers one by one, and by using a subheading before each of those scenes. Kelsey Grammer does such an excellent job playing the part of Dr. Frasier Crane. Kelsey gave an especially wonderful facial expression when Frasier's brother Niles insulted his radio show by implying that it was mundane. The other actors and actresses also are perfect for the roles that they play, and they are more beloved during later episodes as their characters become more developed.

The ending credits are even interesting. While Kelsey Grammer's voice is heard singing the theme song, the actors wordlessly act out a very amusing scene that refers back to an earlier event in the episode. This particular episode not only has delightful humor but also the right amount of human drama as well. And this is just the beginning. Keep watching...
IQ