Frasier

The Innkeepers

Aired Unknown May 16, 1995 on NBC

• Frasier: We're not being asked to do anything we haven't done in our own kitchen in our own homes. Now quick Niles, kill five eels! (May contain spoilers)

This episode exemplifies the brilliant script-writing typical of the early years of Frasier, combining witty dialogue and slapstick/farce. Frasier and Niles decide to run a restaurant together, which they dub "Les Frères Heureux". But we know the brothers, so we know this isn't going to end happily.

Like watching a slow motion train wreck we see how inevitably Frasier and Niles' joint egomania causes one thing after another to go wrong on their opening night. First they cause injury to the waiters. Then they antagonise the chef. Finally Niles scares away the remaining kitchen staff by name-dropping the head of the immigration department - as always in Frasier, social commentary lurking just beneath the surface.

Left to run the restaurant alone, the not-so-happy brothers press-gang Martin, Daphne and Roz to help out. And of course at that moment Gil Chesterton the snooty food critic turns up to review the restaurant, demanding fresh eels. This is classically constructed comedy, brilliantly executed. One of those episodes that lives in the memory even a long time after watching.