Freakazoid!

The WB (ended 1997)

Freakazoid! Fan Reviews (28)

• Freakazoid has everything that makes it an instant classic and should be brought back on the air.

Just like Stephen Spielberg's Animaniacs, Freakazoid was an instant hit, but it was short lived and only lasted 2 seasons. The show centers around Dexter Douglas, a typical teenage nerd who one night logs onto his computer and is thrown into the internet where he becomes the craziest, weirdest, and yet the funniest hero ever, Freakazoid! Freakazoid battles villains and saves the world so the story is not complex,but is executed in an interesting way. The stories all have interesting villains that are unique and are hilarious. Freakazoid himself is just random and hilarious and has great superpowers as well that come from cyberspace. he always makes jokes that will never fail to amuse anyone at all. The artwork and animation look excellent. Characters are drawn uniquely, and the same animation is never used. The humor in this show is some of the best I have ever seen and is guaranteed to make you laugh until your sides hurt. Everything about Freakazoid is done perfectly. The characters are unique and funny, Freakazoid is a unique and awesome hero, and the humor will never fail to impress. I just hope this show will return or come out on DVD. This show deserved to last longer and we need good shows like Freakazoid back on the air.
  • best cartoon ever

freakazoid is my favorite cartoon, and one of my favorite shows of all time, the show is hilairiously random and completly ahead of its time, i remember watching this show when i was little and loving it and now at 15 i love this show even more, sadly though it was cancelled at only 1 1/2 seasons because it didnt apply to its target audience (young children) which is obviosu because children are stupid and have to have everything explained to them, so please if you havent seen it yet buy the first season on dvd you wont regret it no matter how old you are, this show is a masterpiece
  • an awesome action cartoon

Dexter Douglas is a mild-mannered teenager who, while logged onto the Internet one Christmas, is thrust into a horrible crash on the information superhighway and transformed into an electrifying superhero. He's average, predictable, the middle of the bell curve and the center of the silent majority, which most consider completely dull and boring; the type of person who just blends into the crowd. However, all this changes when he turns into the Freakazoid, a lightening haired superhero who wears red underwear who uses his new abilities to fight evil and do battle with villains such as the Lobe. That is, unless Cosgrove, his best friend and chief of police, can suggest something better to do. With his many trusted sidekicks, his fabulous Freakalair and his girlfriend Steph by his side, he's ready to save the day; that is, unless there's something better on TV.

Character Descriptions

Freakazoid is the hero of our show, the crazy alter-ego of Dexter Douglas. He draws his amazing powers of super speed and strength from cyberspace, which he obtained after an accident involving a Pinnacle Computer Chip. While he does his best to save the day, he's considered a lunatic and often does the unexpected.

Dexter Douglas is the teenage geek alter-ego of Freakazoid, he's quiet, mild mannered and a bit of a nerd; though he does keep his other identity a secret. However, when evil rears its ugly head, Dexter will "Freak Out" to become the mighty Freakazoid.

Cosgrove is the chief of police and Freakazoid's best friend. He's always on the hand with good advice for our hero and he typically has a neat idea about how to spend the afternoon. While he's not always useful, he usually does come along to bust the bad guys when Freakazoid managed to defeat the villains.

Steph is both Dexter and Freakazoid's love interest; she's considered an attractive character but is romantically interested in Freakazoid, which makes Dexter upset; though it does permit her to be around to help Freakazoid save the day at times.

The Lobe is Freakazoid's archenemy; he's always coming up with diabolical schemes that will help him take over the world, though despite his huge brain, he's always running into Freakazoid's opposition at every turn.

The Huntsman, formally Marty Feeb, is a super strong, super fast hero who lives in the forest, but will run to the city to fight crime in a jiffy whenever 'The Horn of Urgency' is sounded. Provided it isn't a slow crime day, that is.

Lord Bravery is an up and coming British super hero trying to make his name. Things just never seem to go right for him though.
  • Everyone needs a hero in underwear.

Freakazoid! was a greatly underappreciated show that was cut down do to low ratings and new FCC rules. This show was ahead of what age group it tried to reach out to because of it's strong use of adult contented humor which kids don't get and it's many shots at everything in the world. Heck! It made fun of the pope. Freakazoid! was as off the wall as Animaniacs if not more off the wall. The show had a great use of comedy among culture and even made fun of itself. The characters really made this show a classic as well as great reason to watch because even the villians were hilariously funny along with the heroes and special guests. It's a real shame it only lasted two years and should be brought back where it can hopefully be appreciated more.
  • Dexter Douglas becomes a super-charged hero after a horrible crash on the internet. He isn't as dedicated as most would like him to be but he gets the job done...if he feels like it.

A funny show about a not-so super hero battling strange alien creatures Freakazoid! is a show that combines joking behaviour with a superhero show. The amazing storyline and funny moments like when Freakazoid realises he can't fly are what make this show so great. Helped alot by the fact that the character design allows for these comedic moments to be so effective. Considering it was made by the guys who brought us pinky and the brain Freakazoid! is a real gem concealed in the cartoon rough that deserves to be brought back!!! I hope that you all agree with me. Thank You.
  • Insanity in a cartoon form.

Freakazoid was a fantastically funny cartoon series. The problem is I think as slapstick and goofy as it was, some of the gags and jokes went over kids heads. I think it is aimed more at teens and 20 year olds. It is amazing that incredibly wonderful stupid comedies like this weren't around as long as fans would have hoped. The jokes are fantastic and just plain silly. The plots are well done. Great jokes abound in them like a villain kidnapping nerds to try and drain their brain power to get girls. Freakazoid defeats him by letting him know the girls just want to "be just friends" with nerds. Classic stuff.
  • It's Freakazoid. I love this show.

These are the funniest theme song lyrics ever.

Super-toon extraordinaire
    Runs around in underwear

Rescues Washington D.C.
    Unless something better's on TV

His brain's overloading
    It has a chocolate coating
    Textbook case for Sigmund Freud

Check out Dexter Douglas,
    Nerd computer ace.
    Went surfing on the internet
    And was zapped to cyberspace

He turned into the Freakazoid
    He's strong and super-quick
    He drives the villains crazy
    'Cause he's a lunatic

His home base is the Freakalair
    Freakazoid! Fricassee!
    Floyd the Barber cuts his hair
    Freakazoid! Chimpanzee!

Rides around in the Freakmobile
    Freakazoid! Freakazoo!
    Hopes to make a movie deal
    Freaka me! Freaka you!

He's here to save the nation,
    So stay tuned to this station.
    If not, we'll be unemployed
    Freakazoid!!!
  • This show was unfortunatelly underapreciated; if not, reruns would still be on TV today, or even some new episodes...

This show was one of a kind (and sadly, it stil is). It combined action with comedy in a way no other cartoon managed to to this very day.
    Basicaly a comedy show, "Freakazoid!" was also a superhero type cartoon, that brought an unseen side of the superheroes' lives to TV.
    Dexter Douglas, the Freakazoid, is a hero that possesses super strength, super speed, and... that's about it. He's always trying to fly, but without success.
    He owns a Freakmobile and a Freaka-Lair (both obvious refferences to Batman's Batmobile and Batcave), and even a Freaka-Dog called Foamy (a hilarious rip-off of Superman's Krypto the Superdog).
    Freakazoid is fantastic, or better said, "freaka-tastic"!
  • basiclaly this boy named Dexter Douglas, by accident sends himself into the internet by hiting a series of keys on his keyboard then hits delete and gets sucked into the internet and becomes a Freakazoid.

They should bring this show back it, deserves it truly, or they could at least put it on DVD, i mean they put Animaniacs on DVD so why not Freakazoid! That show is the best, not to mention the most insane show to ever be created. I think the show deserved more than two seasons anyway, i think the writers could come up with more episodes, cause i bet i could.
  • Take a gander at the main page ;)

This show was one of the best! Every single time it came on, I laughed until I couldn't breathe!!! It was a classic cut down before it's time, it's an absolute tragedy that it is not still on tv for everyone to continue to enjoy! I have yet to find a funnier, more enjoyable show!
  • Me Miss You!

I love this television show like crazy. When I was young, I used to watch it everytime it came on.
  • One of CN's best show. Needs to be brought back.

This show was off the hook. The humor was funny, the fight were awesome, & it was a show that i would watch every morning. But as time marches on, we forget things. I already forgot some of the episodes. But, i do remember all of the funny things about it. CN seriously needs to bring back this show.
  • This is the best WB cartoon. . .

One of the best, if not the best WB's cartoon, really funny, crazy and original. Freakazoid was the perfect hero from the modern ages. . .

It's impossible that someone doesn't like this show, it has everything that a show needs to be the best, but sometimes people dont see it.

Everyone should watch, none show is so crazy and good like this one.
  • Awesome! Totally fabulous!

Freakazoid is such a great show! From it\'s characters to the theme song! I love this show cuz every little bit of this is so funny! I feel like I could spend hours and hours and hours and never ever get sick of this stuff. I recommend to it to anyone.
  • Freakazoid! come back!!!!!!!!

I fell in love with this show as soon as I saw it, which was when it first aired back in the early 90s! It was totally original and very funny! The theme song was just as funny and catchy! With lines like:

Super-teen extraordinaire
    Runs around in underwear

Rescues Washington D.C.
    Unless something better's on TV
    Freakazoid! Freakazoid!

Freakazoid! was a loveable goofy superhero. With even goofier villains. I was very saddened by the news that it had been cancelled! It was very under-rated and deserves to come back and have a second chance! This was one of the best shows in the early 90s along with Tiny Toons and Animaniacs. Freakazoid! was similar to other fellow(and also under-rated) goofy superhero's like The Tick and Earthworm Jim. Bringing back Freakazoid! would be a really great idea(They brought back The Tick and thank god too!). In a time when cartoons are either waaaay too serious(most anime) or just waaaay too dumb(just about every american cartoon on today!) Freakazoid! would make a perfect edition to the cartoon line-up! So if you haven't seen Freakazoid! You simply must! And then you'll wonder how you ever got along watching cartoons of today. Freakazoid! is Freakamazing!
  • This show was great, I can't believe that the WB cancelled it. I loved the theme song. The show was an awesome cartoon!

This show was one of the most underrated shows ever. The Animaniacs were great, and so was Pinky and the Brain. However this show was just as good but didn't get as much recognition because it got cancelled so quickly. This used to be a great show about the nerd Dexter Douglas a computer nerd who turns into Freakazoid the total opposite. Funny show, this show and Earthworm Jim are so underrated. They were two really well done and good shows. The WB really lost alot when they cancelled this show. Man I really miss it, it was a good show.
  • One of the best cartoon shows ever made! Steven Spielberg made many wonderful cartoon shows, but this is by far my favorite. Freakazoid! is a zany superhero with some great abilities that he uses to fight generally wacky and insane villians in this hila

Steven Spielberg was the executive producer of many notable Saturday morning cartoon shows on the WB including Freakazoid!. Freakazoid! appeared first in a lineup that included Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain and Earthworm Jim. Freakazoid! is my personal favorite of the bunch because of its humor and generally non-offensive content. (much like the other shows listed) Unlike other funny shows such as The Simpsons or Family Guy, children and adults of all ages can sit down and watch any episode of Freakazoid! and enjoy it.

Freakazoid fights his enemies who have a personal vendetta against him, hold hostage his friends, family and cat (Mr. Chubbykins), or they just want to do the usual destroy/take over/enslave the world bit. It's not a complex story line, however the execution of the show is unparalleled! Freakazoid uses his super strength, red underwear and his ability to attach his head to a lightning bolt to subdue his opponents! How awesome is that??? Attach your head to a lightning bolt! I bet Marvel never thought of that one... Emmitt Nervend. Anyways, with the help of his friends, his Freakmobile, Norm Abram and the occasional rabid dog, Freakzoid takes superheroism to a new level. Whether that level be up or down is debatable, but you can't deny the entertainment of this show!

The villains are well crafted with many different characteristics and motives. Their devious plots always coincide with the villains' character. The Lobe (he has a huge brain-shaped head) is my favorite bad guy. He always has some intricate, well thought-out plan to get rid of Freakazoid, but something or somebody causes it to go wrong and Freakazoid ends up saving the day. Emmitt Nervend. Another great foe is Cave Guy. Cave Guy is this big blue gorilla-looking guy that has the etiquette of a Harvard gentleman. He uses his brute strength to get what he wants, yet he does it with respectability and class. Whenever he and Freakazoid fight, Cave Guy always beats the baconbits and yogurt out of Freakazoid!

Freakazoid! is very similar to Animaniacs in its presentation. Most of the time, it is one story the entire episode, but other times it is several stories split up by commercial breaks. Emmitt Nervend. Freakazoid! also features many other characters that make cameos or have their own short segments. A few of them are The Huntsman, Hero Boy and Lord Bravery Smoked Meats and Fishes, all of whom are very funny.

This show is not available on DVD yet, and as far as I know, it is not upcoming either. =( So if you want to see it, you will have to catch it on Cartoon Network at an odd time, or contact me through AIM (Mishkin100) and I can hook you up with some details on how to find some of these episodes. Enjoy this show! It totally freakin' rocks! Freak Out! Zweeeeeeeeesh! [Runs away with arms stretched up in the air]

(Hey kids! See if you can spot Emmitt Nervend in this article 3 times!)
  • It really was a fantastic show that was just ahead of its time in terms of comedy.

This show was absolutely hilarious. Its of the wall humor and totally random, often obscure, jokes were unprecidented at the time of the show's airing. Now there are many shows that mimic its brand of comedy, and, although most likely indirectly, one cannot help but feel this show set that form of humor in motion. For example, Waylon Jeepers, a creepy little man who created the Medusa Watch, which has the power to turn people into stone. He has also created a similar device that turned beavers into gold. As unlikely as it may be, I hope it is someday brought to DVD format.
  • Review sponsored by Anubis Market.

A short-lived, but hilarious animated series from the people that brought you Animaniacs. The story follows Freakazoid, pretty much the craziest superhero ever invented. He can't fly, so he runs with his arms out in front of him, making whooshing noises. Littered throughout the show are fourth-wall breaks, self-referential humor, obscure pop culture references (The Stockard Channing Show), live-action stock footage (a man wrestling a bear), strange catchphrases (HUGGBEES!!), and plenty of things that went flying over the heads of young children, making it a cult classic.

Sadly, it's not on TV at the moment, but the DVDs are coming soon.
  • Freakazoid was one of the greatest television shows ever created.

I have seen every episode of this television show. it has to be one of the weirdest and most hilarious shows I have ever seen. Sadly this show was canceled after the first 2 seasons. Even though it was hilarious it wasn't very popular so it was ended. It even had mini episodes with heros in and they were Lord Bravery, The Huntsman, Fatman and Blubberboy.

This has to be one of the best animated comedy shows ever. If you like randomness, spoofs, and all around humor, then this WOULD be the show for you, but the took it off for some reason. If they can't bring it back, I'd at least want to see this show on DVD!

This show definately needed another season. I mean, we weren't able to see Eye of Newt and Freakazette! @_@

Anyway, if you like the sound of this show and see it for sale somewhere, I highly recommend getting it.
  • One of those shows that made Saturday morning fun...

A show like this needs it's writing to be on the button in order to work. Freakazoid never failed to disappoint. With it's snappy one-liners combined with a sometimes incredibly random jokes, Freakzoid showed what could be done with a Saturday morning cartoon.

It's wide assortment of great characters (from Freakzoid and Dexter to Cosgrove and the Villians) kept the show fresh with each new episode. It also knew how to draw the audience in, frequently breaking the fourth wall in order to encourage audience participation (Screamovision anyone?).

In an age where every Saturday morning cartoon has become some form of anime or anime/action wannabe, it's fun to go back and watch a show that's just out there to be funny.

This is one of the many WB Saturday shows that needs to be released on DVD. Kids these days don't know what they're missing.
  • Gosh, this show brings back so many memories. I just remember eating soup one day and I told my brother that it was on. I can't believe I found it on here and now i keep asking my brother "do u remember that show? a lot of memories for me and my bro

Freakazoid is basically about a teen boy who leads ouble-lives by switching his identity from boy to hero evry so often-in mere seconds. This show, I remember, did not last long. It was wierd, I don't even know what channel it used to be on. hmm? anyway, it was funny watching the Christmas episode, i remember that one the most, i don't know why, and the one where he eneters the restaurant looking for something-it kind of is a Batman replica because the usher looked a little like the butler in Batman, but it was still enjoyable! great, great memories. 90's rule
  • Very, very funny

It has been a while since I've seen this show, but I remember it being really funny. Underappreciated, even by animation fans. I hope it comes to DVD. I really recommend it. So I can post this review, I'll end by saying, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Yams!
  • The Freakazoid!

This show was one of the funny cartoons on television. Too bad it was so short-lived.

I love how anything could happen at anytime. You'd almost expect a whole episode to consist of Freakazoid just staring at you inquisitively.

I think if it wasn't for the dated 'gimmick' of the pinnacle chip and Internet bestowing Freakazoid with his powers, this show would be timeless.

I liked anything involving Mo-ron or Fan Boy, cause they were so annoying. And the Norm Abram episode was hilarious!

On a side note: The coloring of The Incredibles costumes was strikingly similar to Freakazoid's, coincidence? I think not!
  • A bizarre show with bizarre humor and bizarre characters. Nevertheless, those things all mix together for a hilariously insane cartoon.

Freakazoid! was a severely underappreciated show. The problem with it is people are either too dumb to understand any of the jokes or not used to the fast-paced, crazy atmosphere presented in this show. This show works mostly off of its insane humor, brilliant voice actors, and wonderful music. While I am basing my opinion off the first season of the show (having not seen the second), I can honestly say that the characters needed more time to develop. I never really began to care about any of them on an emotional level. With Animaniacs and The Simpsons, that kind of empathy came to me quickly, but in this show, it was a bit more difficult. This show had so much potential to branch out and develop even more, but it was canceled much too quickly to do that. Nevertheless, we get an amazing program that surpasses the quality of most cartoons today. I would have loved to see the creative jokes and the hilarious plotlines carry into modern television, but unfortunately, a show like this is rare. It may have been weird, but that's what made Freakazoid! unique, bold, and different compared to the vast multitude of other programs.
  • About a boy who becomes a superhero with a mind made of nothing but insanity.

7.4
    I can't believe that Cartoon Network got rid of this show! It was really good, it had a bunch of comedy elements that you probably wouldn't see in any other show, and it was a good show to watch if you were sick or had a bad day. It was also very original and very zany at times. I also liked the spinoffs parts in this show like Lord Bravery and the ones with fanboy in it. But here's the thing I don't understand:Why the hell hasn't this show been released on DVD already!?! Animaniacs has already been released, so why not Freakazoid?
  • Craziest superhero ever, fights the strangest menacing creatures.

There is not a whole lot i can say about this show, because it was probably on colombian TV for 6 months tops. Things i remmember: The name Steven Spielberg on the credits, the horrible haircut on Freakazoids head, the incredible and witty-funny dialogues, the humor and the crazy situations we would find each episode. Sadly, this kind of humor gets old easily and the show went downhill pretty quickly. The animation was very much ala Animaniacs, the colors, the drawings, even the expressions and the humor were borrowed or at least were payed homage by the producers.

Very funny but gets old easily.