Freaks and Geeks Forums

NBC (ended 2000)

freaks and geeks or undeclared

wittyscreenname

[21]May 30, 2007
    • level: 16
    Word. Have yet to see something that compares in my books.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

annie888

[22]Sep 12, 2007
    • level: 9
    Definitely Freaks and Geeks.

aisyx

[23]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 3
    both are great, but F&G s soo much better because-

jason segel as a main character.
    the lovely Lindsay
    brilliant soundtrack
    a 'longer' series (each one is 45mins )
    set in the 80s!
    soo original.
    smarter and deeper.

aisyx

[24]Dec 9, 2007
    • level: 3
    ooh defo check out undeclared, soo many guest appearances from the F&G gang!

wittyscreenname

[25]Dec 26, 2007
    Okay, this is really Off-Topic, but Yaaaaaah! I got the complete scripts of Freaks and Geeks (Volumes I and II) for Christmas!! I read the pilot last night. Ooooh I'm so happy!

davepuddy

[26]Dec 26, 2007
    • level: 10

Good for you; I'm glad your "subtle" hint about wanting the scripts paid off! Enjoy them.

I read somewhere that, in the special "Yearbook" edition DVD box set, there is script included of an episode of F&G that was never filmed. The title of the episode was "The Bus". Is that script included in the collection that you received? That would be great if it was. Either way, what a great gift for a Freaks and Geeks fan. I would like to get that collection myself at some point.

After completing another viewing of all the episodes and some of the commentaries over the last couple months, I have cycled back to the beginning andstarted anew by watching the pilot episode again before going to bed on Christmas Eve. Still the best episode in my estimation. Often, shows take awhile to find their footing and establish the characters, but this show came out in top form right from the start.

One of the things that makes the show so great is that it is so much more realistic in relation to the high school experience than other high school shows. With respect to that, I have one slight criticism about the pilot after seeing it so many times.

Anyway, it occured to me that one of the most unrealistic moments portrayed in the entire series was the first moment of the pilot. I think Paul and Judd were so good at portraying the Freaks and Geeks because that's who they were and related to in their high school days; not so much the jocks.

In that first moment of the pilot, a hunky football player sits in the bleachers with his pretty cheerleader girlfriend, having an inane discussion about their shallow relationship. Maybe it's just because I was a jock in high school, but how is it that this kid is lounging in the bleachers, talking to his girlfriend, IN THE MIDDLE OF FOOTBALL PRACTICE! It seems to me that Coach Fredricks--who seems to be the coach of every single sport-- would not allow that!

I played basketball myself, but if I was chatting up a cheerleader during practice--not that they were very interested in me--I would have spent the next 20 minutes running wind sprints!

Watching the commentary for that episode, I realize that the point of including that part of the scene was to set up the initial moment with the jock and the cheerleader--like a typical high school show-- and then segue into the introductions of the characters who the show is really about, the Freaks and the Geeks. It turns out to be an excellent scene, complete with the use of Van Halen's "Running with the Devil" to introduce the Freaks, and Kenny Loggins' "I'm Alright"--from Caddyshack-- to introduce the Geeks.The opening set up is just a little unrealistic to me; I know, I know, I'm being over-critical.

Oh man, this long comment has nothing to do with this thread! Sorry. Wittyscreename started it!

After all this, do I actually have to answer the question posed in this thread? Um, I guess I will have to pick F&G. Shocking, huh? Undeclared was a good show too, though.

Edited on 12/26/2007 10:26am
    Edited 2 total times.

wittyscreenname

[27]Dec 27, 2007
    davepuddy wrote:

Oh man, this long comment has nothing to do with this thread! Sorry. Wittyscreename started it!

Suuuuuure, blame your long rambling posts on me.

As for the complete scripts, the only episodes included are those which were aired (no elusive script called 'the bus'. They do, however scrapbook sections with photos that I've never seen, as well as a hodge-podge of handwritten notes about random things and some print that I recognize as the Freaks and Geeks Bible from the (now inactive) Freaks and Geeks Official Site.

Another nice thing is that for each episode there is a 2-3 page introduction from someone involved with the show (usually the writer of the episode in queston), and nice introductions for each separate volume by Paul and Judd respectively. I still find it's neat how there are subtle changes between the written script and the final show, and the alternate lines that were almost chosen over some of the most classic and memorable dialogue in the show.

Just to stay on-topic: Freaks and Geeks trumps Undeclared.

Edited on 12/27/2007 8:34am

davepuddy

[28]Dec 27, 2007
    Rambling? I have no idea what you mean. (That's seventeen words, including this parenthetical aside. So there!)

wittyscreenname

[29]Dec 27, 2007
    ^Quite possibly your shortest post ever, too! (nine words.)

davepuddy

[30]Dec 28, 2007
    Yes.

davepuddy

[31]Dec 28, 2007

Who am I kidding? I absolutely must make a long-winded comment! Last night I watched the movie Superbad, an Apatow production. I noticed that Seth Rogan co-wrote the story, as well as playing the role of a police officer.

It was an entertaining film; I expected nothing less. Many sightings of Freaks and Geeks alumni as well. The bearded Martin Starr at the first party the guys in the movie go to. That party was hosted by Millie's crazy cousin that got the Freaks fake ID's, and also in attendance was the guy that played Neil's brother. Oh, and Millie's cousin's girlfriend was played by a girl who was one of the main characters in Undeclared.

Even better, the math teacher in Superbad is the same math teacher from F&G, Mr Kovachesky!!! Talk about typecasting; I guess he just looks like the quintessential math teacher.

And finally, the most classic F&G alumni of all: the old guy at Lindsay's party was at the first party attended by the guys in Superbad. He's even older now! Older than me, even! Eventually, he ends up fighting with the main characters in the movie on a public bus. The only thing that disappointed me is that he didn't use his signature "head-butt to the chest" move that he used on Ken in Freaks and Geeks.

There. Now I feel better. It just didn't feel right to leave my last two posts that were so brief! Man, do I deserve to be promoted to level 2, or what?

gnomesie

[32]Dec 28, 2007
    davepuddy wrote:

Who am I kidding? I absolutely must make a long-winded comment! Last night I watched the movie Superbad, an Apatow production. I noticed that Seth Rogan co-wrote the story, as well as playing the role of a police officer.

It was an entertaining film; I expected nothing less. Many sightings of Freaks and Geeks alumni as well. The bearded Martin Starr at the first party the guys in the movie go to. That party was hosted by Millie's crazy cousin that got the Freaks fake ID's, and also in attendance was the guy that played Neil's brother. Oh, and Millie's cousin's girlfriend was played by a girl who was one of the main characters in Undeclared.

Even better, the math teacher in Superbad is the same math teacher from F&G, Mr Kovachesky!!! Talk about typecasting; I guess he just looks like the quintessential math teacher.

And finally, the most classic F&G alumni of all: the old guy at Lindsay's party was at the first party attended by the guys in Superbad. He's even older now! Older than me, even! Eventually, he ends up fighting with the main characters in the movie on a public bus. The only thing that disappointed me is that he didn't use his signature "head-butt to the chest" move that he used on Ken in Freaks and Geeks.

There. Now I feel better. It just didn't feel right to leave my last two posts that were so brief! Man, do I deserve to be promoted to level 2, or what?

lol I noticed all of those. Check out Pineapple Express if you like stoner movies. Next year it comes out with Seth Rogan and James Franco. I just like how they can get the same people. They seem like great friends.

FrozenHeart_

[33]Dec 31, 2007
    • level: 8
    Im yet to see a show even close to Freaks & Geeks .!.

bigpuppax

[34]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 7
    Defintiely Freaks & Geeks. Undeclared is a respectable show, but not nearly at the same level.

wittyscreenname

[35]Feb 7, 2008
    Absolutely random: I typed 'Cult Favorite' into the Keyword Search for IMDb, and Freaks and Geeks was number 3 on the resulting list.

JBBO3314_basic

[36]Apr 16, 2008
    • level: 5
    Watched them both when they aired but F&G is by far the superior show. I hope this doesn't stop anyone from watching "Undeclared" though because it's worth seeing.

InstantClubHits

[37]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 5
    Undeclared was a good show, it had it's moments...but COME ON!!!! FG all the way!! Way more original characters, better music...more heart...even better comedy!!!