Freaks and Geeks Forums

NBC (ended 2000)

Freaks and Geeks Survey for Cl@$$

thecomedianky

[1]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 19

I'm writing a paper on the impact of television comedies on American culture for grad school. One of the things I am looking at is the cult following of Freaks and Geeks.

If you don't mind, could you all please answer these questions?

1. When did you first start watching Freaks and Geeks?

2. How did the show appeal to you at the time you first watched it?

3. Would it be fair to say that you consider the show a cult cl@$$!c? Best one-season show ever?

4. Did you buy the show on DVD when it was released or after hearing about it from a friend?

5. Have you seen most of the movies from the Apatow gang?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Anaithnid

[2]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 10

When it first aired in Ireland in 2000.

I was a bit young to get a lot of the jokes at the time, but I went back and watched the whole season recently and think it's the best tv show of all time.

3. Would it be fair to say that you consider the show a cult classic? Best one-season show ever?

Yes and Yes

4. Did you buy the show on DVD when it was released or after hearing about it from a friend?

Never bought it on DVD. Downloaded them online. I wasn't bothered ordering a region 1 dvd when it would only work on certain dvd players here. If it comes out on region 2 format I'll buy it purely for the extras.

Yeah. I loved Undeclared as well as Freaks and Geeks so I watch films featuring the cast from both. Seth Rogen (Ken in Freaks and Geeks/Ron in Undeclared) is my favorite actor so I watch all of his and Monica Keena (Rachel in Undeclared) is my favourite actress so I watch anything she's in too.

annie888

[3]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 9

I thought it was very creative and funny. I loved the geeks.

3. Would it be fair to say that you consider the show a cult cl@$$!c? Best one-season show ever?

Yes; possibly.

I bought the show on DVD after I watched them all through netflix.

I've only seen Knocked Up and I thought it kindasucked.

davepuddy

[4]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 10

I watched the pilot episode when it originally aired in September of 1999; a rave review by the TV critic in the local newspaper got me to watch. I was hooked right away.

The show is so well-written and the characters and situations so realistic, compared to most TV shows and movies about the high school experience. I can even relate to the era the show takes place in. (I was in 8th grade in 1980, and am also from the midwest) A person certainly doesn't need to be from that era to appreciate it though; it's relatable to people of any age. I persuaded my dad to give it a look; he went through all the episodes in a little over two weeks and loved it. He is 66 years old.

3. Would it be fair to say that you consider the show a cult classic? Best one-season show ever?

Absolutely yes to both questions.

I just found out it was on DVD while browsing the shelves of a video store in July. I rented the DVD's and watched them for the first time since the original airing of the series. Purchased the box set soon after.

Yes I have; I enjoyed them. Not as much as Freaks and Geeks though.

wittyscreenname

[5]Jan 17, 2008
    • level: 16
    1. When did you first start watching Freaks and Geeks? Summer of 2005, I think. I found it completely by accident, actually!

It was so refreshingly real after all of the overdone and exaggeratedly dramatic teenager-oriented TV series airing at that time. The characters were, for the most part, people with whom I could relate.

It is undoubtedly a cult classic, considering the following that it has garnered, even after it stopped airing. It is, so far, the best one-season show that I have yet to see.

I bought the DVDs by my own initiative. At the time, I was the only person I knew who had ever heard of the show. I also have the complete scripts for the series.

I've seen a few of them, but I probably couldn't say "most". I have seen most of Linda Cardellini's works, though, in television as well as on the big screen.

FrozenHeart_

[6]Jan 18, 2008
    • level: 8

Just as it appeared on Swedish TV I was hooked after the first episode.

It was just awesome it felt so real unlike much else thats on TV these days, This was exactly how I experienced High School.

Absolutely.

As soon as it was released.

No, Actually I dont even know who they are.

notsosorrow

[7]Aug 28, 2010
    • level: 2

What class are you in?