Freaks and Geeks Forums

NBC (ended 2000)

why did it end ???

davepuddy

[21]Aug 5, 2007
    • level: 10
    I think my original reply to this topic was slightly off: the show usually aired on Saturday nights, not Friday. Still, Saturday night is just as bad as Friday in terms of building a following for a new show, so the point I was making remains the same.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wittyscreenname

[22]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 16
    That's okay. I didn't watch the show during it's original run, so I wouldn't have known the difference!

davepuddy

[23]Aug 6, 2007
    Since discovering the F+G DVD's at the video store a week ago, I have already watched 5 of the 6 discs. It's so disappointing there are only 18 episodes of this great show. Whatever time and place a person went to high school, the characters and situations that occur are something everyone can relate to. For me personally, it really takes me back to those days. The show takes place in 1980, with Sam and Lindsay being a freshman and sophomore, respectively. I was an 8th grader that year--yeah, I'm old-- so I can relate to the whole thing, right down to the clothes, music, and pop culture. I remember quoting Bill Murray lines with my friends like Sam and the geeks did in the opening scene of the pilot. Speaking of the pilot, the final scene of that episode at the dance was amazing. I started laughing when I recognized the beginning of the Styx song "Come Sail Away", because I knew Sam would end up getting Cindy on the dance floor at the exact moment the song went up in tempo from ballad to "hard rocker", so he wouldn't be able to slow dance with her. The rest of the scene, with Lindsay and Eli, was incredibly sweet. I never liked Styx, and always thought that tune was kind of lame, but if I hear it on the radio from now on, I will listen to it just based on how great the scene in the show was. Well, I better stop now; too much red bull today. I thought I rambled on before; Witty, this is some SERIOUS rambling.
    Edited on 08/07/2007 8:01am
    Edited 2 total times.

wittyscreenname

[24]Aug 8, 2007
    SERIOUS rambling indeed!!

I think that Paul and Judd, and everyone who worked behind the scenes on the show did an amazing job at capturing 'real-life' on TV, as opposed to the skewered realities which plague the small screen these days.

I don't know whether you have ever visited the Freaks and Geeks official site (if not, unfortunately it is closed down for repairs at the moment, so you'll have to wait a while longer), but the "Freaks and Geeks Bible" as it is dubbed, holds so much detail as to the exact feel that was desired for the show, that you just can't help but admire the effort put into it, in order to make it real and relatable, but also entertaining.

The song "Come Sail Away" had never before made much sense to me, but the pilot did leave it stuck on my brain for quite a while afterwords. Not my favourite song, but I will sing along with it when I hear it.

davepuddy

[25]Sep 2, 2007
    For the first time since watching the pilot, I heard the song yesterday. It came on the radio as I was cutting the grass while I was listening on my headphones.

As the song started, I stopped the mower for a moment, and--after checking to make sure nobody else was around-- swayed back and forth dorkily for a few seconds like Millie did at the beginning of the scene.

During the final slow part of the song, before it goes up tempo again, I thought about Lindsay going over to Eli and taking him out to the dance floor. One of my favorite moments in the series.

It was warm and sunny as I cut the grass, but I still felt a chill as I listened to the song and thought of that scene. Good stuff.

wittyscreenname

[26]Sep 2, 2007
    Haha...sounded like a good time

I'm currently preparing to convert my roommate to Freaks and Geeks...we'll see how that ends up.

thecomedianky

[27]Oct 15, 2007
    • level: 19
    keith22 wrote:
    i loved this show why why why and why ???????
    It was on a Saturday night. No one stays home on Saturday night!

FrozenHeart_

[28]Nov 10, 2007
    • level: 8
    I remember seeing this show on TV, Really really loved it, Recently found out its name and it really saddens me it got cancelled so early on : (

davepuddy

[29]Nov 14, 2007
    Welcome Frozen Heart. You are so right; the show should have been given more time to build an audience.

I don't know if anybody on this forum watches the show 30 Rock on NBC, but the character portrayed by Alec Baldwin on that show is probably the kind of clueless executive that pushed to cancel Freaks and Geeks. As someone once said, the answer to every question is money. Not enough viewers, advertising dollars, blah, blah, blah.

Now, on to my main reason for this post. At what point am I going to be promoted to Level 2? I have been at Level 1, 77% for a long time. You have to be at Level 2 to post a review or add to the trivia comments about a particular episode.

I'm not saying that my posts have been particularly funny, insightful, or informative, but they are long-winded and the words are spelled correctly! Vote Dave Puddy for Level 2!

wittyscreenname

[30]Nov 17, 2007

lol! Um...well, many things contribute to your level (just visiting the site actually scores you points!) Try writing a blog, or adding information to your profile(if you haven't already)...those types of actions typically raise your level.

Good luck!

Oooh slightly OT, but I asked for the complete scrips of Freaks and Geeks (vol I and II) and I'm hoping that my sister will actually get them for me!

Edited on 11/17/2007 6:13pm

kimchisucks

[31]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    I was out of the country when this show aired, so I had no idea it existed until I saw the DVDs and heard from others how much this show absolutely rocks.

Rock it does. The first DVD had me thinking of how cool it was to have all the music that I love to listen to. They did a REALLY good job at making sure this show resembled 1980. Disco was on its way out, rock and punk were changing direction. It was a perfect time to pick for a show. I find it funny some of the actors who were in this show weren't even born in 1980, so would have no clue about all that; YET they were able to pull it off as if they had been around in 1980.

I freaked out in that episode on disc 5 (the one where the gym teacher is dating Bill's mom). Bill is sitting in front the TV drink a glass of milk with his Star Wars glass. I have the exact same glass...it was made in 1980 and came from Burger King. I had the whole set, but only that one glass hasn't been busted yet. The fact that they would put something so authentic in a 5-10 second scene just blew my mind. Just one of the MANY reasons this show was so awesome.

I don't want to make waves, but I thought Seth had the least talent out of the cast, yet I see him in movie after movie...he must have good butt kissing ability

Anyways, rant over. This show is awesome and I am VERY glad that it got put on DVD.

Now if they can get get Boston Public on DVD I can watch some eps with John Francis Daley!

ThatLostGuy

[32]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 11
    yeah this show rocked

slayme3

[33]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 13
    I just finished up the finale Disco's and Dragon's for the first time and - wow - what a great show! Is good to see Judd Apatow doing well with his films these days. I was in high school back in the late 80's (as both freak and geek) and this is the closest a show has ever come to getting it right. I would have LOVED it if they had continued the show but at least we have what we have. I just wish tv.com would put the eps in viewing order when you chooses episode list instead of airing order. Luckily I watched um in the correct order. Great show. I'm gonna really miss it.

crystalopal

[34]Apr 11, 2009
    This was an awesome show, but it was somewhat understandable why it was cancelled.