Freaks and Geeks

Kim Kelly Is My Friend

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Unknown on NBC

• Lindsey and Kim Kelly hang out

Kim Kelly has been one of those weird characters who seems remarkably one note compared to the complex, multi-faceted characters we've already met. I never really thought that I'd actually want to meet more of her, but this episode was pretty good at making it possible to empathize with her without making her a lovey-dovey character. I thought it wasn't exactly in the same class as the first three episodes, which where superb, but it was still an enjoyable episode of the show that had two equally interesting plots between the freaks and geeks.

The episode revolves mainly around Lindsey and Kim Kelly and their attempts to bond and their motives in bonding. Kim has been incredibly harsh to Lindsey and it was a matter of time before they would attempt to bond. However, I was a bit surprised at how ridiculous Kim's life was. It's no surprise that Kim wasn't actually trying to be friends with Lindsey, but it still ended up coming out pretty good in the end.

When it comes to Sam, Neil and Bill, their plot started off okay and ended up getting better as the episode progressed. A young Rashida Jones showed up as a bully that gets upset with Sam, and the episode ends up exploring the idea of who is a bigger geek: Sam or Neil. There's also a funny moment where Kim Kelly talks with Sam and talks about all the horrible things she'll do to Karen. I thought it was hilarious, in a dark and strange type of way.

I didn't really think it was the best episode the show has produced, but it was fun enough. Oh yeah, and when Jason Segal's character, Nick, asks Lindsey's parents if he can have all the food that he stole.. so great.