Freaks and Geeks

NBC (ended 2000)

RoryJamesSaywer

Freaks and Geeks Fan Reviews (90)

• Ahead of the Curve

This show has everything a hit series about high school needs. It was just about ten years ahead of its time. The characters are realistic and believable, the situations are realistic and they truly captured that awkward feeling of high school. In my opinion, Freaks and Geeks just needed a different audience. Today's audience.
  • Best show ever

I loved this show. It has everything that I love about a series. Although it only had one season, the depth of the characters, the story line, and pace of the show was remarkable. I really wish they would make a reboot, or something along the lines of a student in high school or college like this. As the story line develops, you really start to fall in love with each and everyone of the characters. For me after about 4 episodes, I realized how great of a character bill was and how he by himself kinda made the show that much better. You can say that "it never had the chance to spoil by having a lot of The ending leaves you wanting more and make you feel like you lost a best friend, and that everything in your life is not worth living for anymore. How could they cancel this show. Quality TV. Highly recommended.
  • Amazing TV Series!!!

I just found about freaks and geeks while browsing the filmography of James Franco - a big fan of him. Really sad it had only one season. Totally addicted to it. Lindsay is so damn good. Wish it had more episodes :(
  • Why was this cancelled? WHHHHHYYYYYY????? MINOR SPOILERS BELOW.

Lol for being melodramatic, anyway to the show. Freaks and Geeks is about main character Lindsay Weir and brother Sam Weir. Lindsay is becoming a sophomore, and Sam is becoming a freshman. Lindsay is a shy, very intelligent girl who's life changes dramatically. Her grandmother dies and she starts questioning morals and everything, she turns over to a new side, the Freaks. The Freaks are a gang of big under-achievers and spend most of their time rebelling, smoking, and causing trouble. One of the main themes of the show is how her life changes when she turns to this new clique.

Sam is a small, shy, nerdy, confused boy who is somewhat of an outcast to the most of kids instead of his friends. He starts out with a big crush, the sweet cheerleader Cindy Sanders. He has many problems throughout the series, trying to get a date with Cindy and his cold hearted bully who picks on him and the rest of the geeks.

The Geeks are part of Sam's clique. The Geeks are 3 (later 4-5) kids who do work, are outcasts, don't have many friends, and play D & D. Friendly to each other and others, they don't get in much trouble and try to follow the rules as much as they can. The 2 other main geeks are Neal and Bill, Sam's best friends. The 4 other main freaks are Daniel, Ken, Nick, and Kim. Daniel is a burnout, Nick is a striving artist, Ken is a sarcastic underachiever, and finally Kim is Daniels girlfriend, spends most time having sex and fighting with Daniel.

Now that I've explained all the main characters, let me tell you more about the show and its themes until it's cancellation. I'll try not to spoil it as much.

Contrary to it's high school theme, it's actually realistic! Surprise, huh? There are barely any realistic high school comedy-dramas, and this might actually be the only one. Each episode of it is a realistic view of high school back in 80's, themes are peer pressure, drugs, education, and so on. Every main character has their very own episode, focused on just them. We learn about each main characters more personal life every step of the way. Not every episode is just about the central character, Lindsay.

Characters change and learn lessons throughout the series, it explores and deals with serious issues.

Not only does it have a great plot and story, it also has a rockin' soundtrack too. Mostly classic rock, songs played on there were released when the time takes place, or are big hits by that time. At least 2 songs are played within every episode, it really is a nice addition.

I loved pretty much every aspect of the show, so much spot-on realism, and a great ability to balance out the drama and comedy. I will never forget about this show, as it is one of my biggest favorites.
  • Maybe the best show of it's kind!

Yes I do believe that Freaks and Geeks is a must see comedy. It has it all, great actors, great scripts, just an hour of pure enjoyment. Just take a look at all the actors and how much success they are all enjoying. Linda Cardellini was a perfect cast here. A great lead character, a geek/freak. I loved the way she struggled between the two. Jason Segel had so many awkward moments that were just brilliantly acted. Run out and buy this DVD set. An absolute shame we only got 18 episodes! Thanks Judd for a real gem that I will watch over and over again.
  • My mind = Blown

Anyone who has read my other reviews know that I say this alot, but this series was incredible. Freaks and Geeks was a high school drama that you can relate to. Freaks and Geeks deals with problems that face the everyday high school student, unlike other shows of the same genre (I mean who the hell can relate to the OC, or 90210?). An amazing cast including Linda Cardellini (ER, Scooby Doo), James Franco (Milk, The Pineapple Express), Jason Segal (How I Met Your Mother, I Love You, Man), and Seth Rogan (Superbad, The Pineapple Express). The only thing I disliked about the series was Sam Weir (played by John Francis Daley), not only was he not a good actor, I absolutely hated his hair. Anyways, I strongly recomend everyone watch this series.
  • amazing

so... I´ve just downloaded and watched the whole thing and I´m now wondering how this gets cancelled after only 1 season?

It is true that its a lot of ground is covered and since the show depends mostly on freshmen and seniors it started with its days counted (similar to friday night lights), since when you don´t have all your characters on the same environment a lot is lost and any show usually becomes poor (like one tree hill or the old beverly hills) but still... i dunno. It´s just too good to be cancelled after only a single season. The show really benefits from its cast, most of the main cast are now successful actors in big productions. Anyway, its a good season and I recommend it. I don´t have much to add to the other reviews, but I just felt I could drop a good word so maybe we get more shows like this one in the future.
  • Great start to a great show.

I absolutely love this episode. We are introduced to some truly amazing characters: Bill, Neil, and Sam the geeks, Daniel, Ken, Kim, and Nick the freaks; Lindsey the ex-mathlete trying to become part of the freaks. We meet Lindsey and Sam's parents Mr. and Mrs. Weir, who have to be the most realistic parents ever shown on TV. In this episode Sam and Lindsey don't want to go to the homecoming dance. Their parents insist they do, with the reason that high school is about socializing. How they end up going is classic. When the geeks beat up the school bully was also brilliant too. In the end this is a great start to an amazing, albeit short lived series
  • this show is perfect

first, everything in this show is perfect. the acting, the writing, the directing. all of the characters feel real. it's 98% accurate to high school life. the relationships between the characters feel genuine. every episode is fantastic. i believe everyone can relate to at least one of the characters in the show. even the music they play on the show feels just right in each scene. I really wanted to see this show go on for at least a second season. i also love the way it focuses on the outcasts in high school instead of it being a typical high school comedy/drama
    My alltime favorite show. Though I grew up in the sixties in a small town, this show is a frighteningly accurate picture of life in school. It was hell. This show helps me laugh at what was so painful then. I remember the agony of gym class, the tightly knit cliques, the idiotic adults that taught us and were very much like children themselves. Everything was so confusing then. Friendships changed overnight so you never knew who you could count on. It was very frightening and lonely. My favorite people were the freaks because they didn't give a damn and seemed to be having fun. They were much more interesting anyway. Great show!
  • It makes me angry that this show was canceled. It was and is brilliant!

It makes me angry that this show was canceled. It was and is brilliant! Each episode was written well and kept me anticipating what would happen next. In the 18 episodes that made up freaks and geeks there were twists and turns a long the way. It depicted what high school was and is really like. It was geeky and funny, but not cheesy and lame. It made me smile and feel light hearted. The characters developed over the short time and it would have been fantastic to have seen them develop more. To see what eventually happened to Lindsey and Nick. Would they eventually realise that they are in love with each other? Would Lindsey stay in school? It was great seeing Daniel and Kim finally happy. Kim with Lindsey going for a trip out of town, and Daniel with the geeks playing a game with people who he could be himself around. That goes with Sam, Bill and Neil. It was great seeing them happy. They were finally cool and they didn't have to pretend to be someone else to do it. Fantastic show! I wish this show had not been canceled.
  • "Freaks and Geeks" follows the lives of high school students, each in their groups- the "freaks", and the "geeks"; whom along the way encounter conflicts, but come to realize they're not so different and that they can be friends. A "coming of age" series.

Though it only ran 18 episodes, "Freaks And Geeks" is possibly one of the most original, classic, and priceless shows of all time. Each episode is filled with golden moments of classic humor that will leave you quoting the show time and time again. Many who watch this show can't help but be a fan of it. There is something in at least one of the characters in this show, that each of us can relate to- making it a show that viewers can connect to. It is a timeless portrayal of the "high school experience"; the bullies, the insecurities, the awkward moments, the first crush, wanting to fit in- and then realizing it doesn't matter so much, and finally- finding your own place. Each character brings something special to the show, and with early performances from actors like James Franco, Seth Rogen, and Jason Segel- who have all broke out into bigger films and comedy roles, this show is a perfect package- one that you won't regret watching, and one that will stick with you for a very long time.
  • I grew up in the wrong era. Forget the 90's its all about the 80's

When i first heard about this show it was airing on comedy central. I checked it out and i was not a fan. It felt like i was watching nick at nite again. I grew up in the 90's so it was hard for me to relate to this and thats the best part of this show, seeing yourself in some of the freaks and geeks. Now im 18 and out of highschool. I have been looking into all of Judd apatows movies and in the middle of his imdb page was freaks and geeks. Everything judd has done I have been a fan of. So i decided to revisit this show. Glad i did. I watched episode 1 at a friends house and as soon as the credits rolled i went out to buy the DVD. I may not be able to relate to this as much as my parents but no matter when you grew up, every highschool has freaks and geeks. I've had my geeky days. Ive had my freaky days. I love this show just for the fact that each character on the show is like one of my friends in real life. Seth rogans character reminds me of my friend robby, doesnt talk much but always has an oppinion. I can do that with each character. I relate to the chacters even though I grew up in the 90's. There will always be freaks and geeks. This show is perfect. I can pop it in my dvd player any day and I am automatically in a good mood. I held off on watching the last episode for about a month because I always wanted to have something to look forward to. This did not get the views it deserved because it did not get the air time it deserved. Buy the DVD. You won't regret it.
  • Simply one of the greatest TV shows ever created! FACT***

Freaks And Geeks was one the best TV shows around i never got to see this when it was on TV as i think that was for alot of people thats why it was canceled but just because it was canceled after one season don't let that stop you from watching this amazing TV show just think of it as the best 18 hour teen movie you will ever see.

This show was too good for its time and really shame that was canceled so soon it would have only gotten better with age but this is a must watch for any real tv/movie fan you will not be disappointed. You will even see some guest appearances from todays biggest stars for example Ben Stiller and up and coming Shia LaBeouf.
  • From creator Paul Feig, and producer Judd Apatow, comes a cult classic about a high school with the freaks...and the geeks.

The show centered on a teenage girl, Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini), and her brother, Sam (John Francis Daley), both attending McKinley High School during the 1980–1981 school year in the town of Chippewa, Michigan, a fictional suburb of Detroit. You have your geeks: John Daley, Samm Levine, and Martin Starr. And your freaks: James Franco, Linda Cardellini, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, and Busy Phillips. I remember watching this show when it was on, but not understanding it. Now 14, and watching show, it was a shame this got cancelled, but if it didn't, it wouldn't be as good of a show.
  • The fact that this show is a "cult classic" makes this show good, and even seeing Seth Rogen, and Jason Segel makes it funny.

The show centered on a teenage girl, Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini), and her brother, Sam (John Francis Daley), both attending McKinley High School during the 1980–1981 school year in the town of Chippewa, Michigan, a fictional suburb of Detroit. I remember watching this when it came on even though I was like 5 years old lmao. Now that I watch it as a 14 year old, I like the show even more. Even though it only lasted one season that's what makes it great, and the show recieved massive cult status with DVD sales and what not. That's really it.
  • It's a shame that such a great show such as Freaks and Geeks would be cancelled after only the first season, certainly leaving fans and the F&G cult-following longing to see more from the series.

One of the things that really pulled me into the show was the ingenious story and scriptwriting that remained consistently excellent during the entire span of 18 episodes. I like how the show focuses on different point of views from both the "Freaks" and the "Geeks" within the cast, sometimes revealing an ambiguous line between the two labels as the characters begin to expose themselves as human beings. Seth Rogen's deadpan humor in the show was a treat despite only getting a slight attention to character development due to the show's early demise. There are also many other characters in the crew of the show that had the potential of being more dynamic had Freaks and Geeks continued broadcasting. Fortunately, many of the actors that made their debut on the show used it as a launching pad for their careers, several continuing their work with Judd Apatow or remain in the industry, such as James Franco and Linda Cardellini.

Had Freaks and Geeks been aired more recently, I'm sure the show would've been a major hit that quite possibly could've went on for more than two seasons. With the major success Apatow is experiencing from his comedy hits such as Knocked Up and Superbad, it'd be wishful thinking to see him and Paul Feig get together again one last time for a Freaks and Geeks film.
  • This is my all time favorite show, From the brilliant cast to the realistic plots. Anyone reading this wondering if they should get it, Do it, You wont regret it.

Anyone reading this wondering if they should get it, Do it, You wont regret it.

It takes place in high school where you get to follow the struggle of two totally different types of characters with their respective type of friends.
    Lindsey who was one of the smart kids recently lost her grandmother wich made her reflect on her life and changing it, She now tries to fit in with the cool gangs who's lives mostly revolves around drugs and booze.
    And her younger brother who is a real Geek trying desperatly to keep his sister out of trouble while having a bunch of them on his own.

The highpoints of this show is definetly the cast and the realism, I definetly feel this is how high school was, And you are bound to symphatize and recognize some of it.
  • This cult classic was unjustly cancelled by NBC but than again, they placed it on Saturday dead night. This one-season show is available in it's entirety on DVD including three un-aired shows from the series. Go buy it and watch in full.

I just finished watching the complete series of Freaks and Geeks and it left me wanting more. Sadly, I am unable to watch more episodes of Freaks and Geeks as NBC executives cancelled just over halfway into the series due to low ratings. Low ratings came as a result of placing a series on Saturday nights.

The series focuses on Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini) and her brother Sam (John Francis Daley) during the year of 1980-81.

They are joined in the cast by the Freaks: Daniel Desario (James Franco), Ken Miller (Seth Rogen), Nick Andopolis (Jason Segel), and Kim Kelly (Busy Philipps). The Geeks include: Neal Schweiber (Samm Levine) and Bill Haverchuck (Martin Starr). The Weir parents were Harold and Jean, played by Joe Flaherty and Becky Ann Baker.

The series starts as Lindsay wants a change in her life. She's tired of being just the smart mathlete and starts hanging out with the freaks. Sam and his friends are tired of being geeks and want to fit in.

There were notable guest appearances on this show, often going unhyped, with the likes of Ben Stiller, Shia LaBeouf, Rashida Jones, Allan Covert, Ben Foster, Jason Schwartzmann, David Koechner etc.

It's evident from the get go that Sam likes Cindy Sanders, a cheerleader, who likes Sam because he's nice. However, we don't find out til later on that she likes Todd, a jock. Towards the end of the series, Cindy starts dating Sam but they have nothing in common as evidenced by the fact that she doesn't find anything funny about The Jerk while the theater is laughing up a storm.

Bill's mom is dating Mr. Ben Fredericks (played by Thomas F. Wilson of Back to the Future fame), the gym teacher. Bill is upset at first but then they start to get to know each other better. Towards the end of the series, he and Vicki, the head cheerleader actually make out during "7 minutes in heaven."

Other great casting choices included Dave "Gruber" Allen as the guidance counselor and David Krumholtz as Neal's older brother, barry.

All in all, this was a great series. The casting played a huge role--Allison Jones, Coreen Mayrs and Jill Greenberg won an Emmy award for Outstanding casting. Two episodes were nominated for Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series (Pilot, Discoes and Dragons).

Judd Apatow and Paul Feig should be commended for their work on this series. Despite low ratings, it has become a cult classic.
  • Makes you miss high school

Caught a couple of episodes on late night tv when it aired in australia. The only bad thing about the show was the cancellation. Ending on the disco episodes was a huge let down 'DISCO SUCKS', but the great actors, real scripts (not focused on the cheery chearleaders) and style had me hooked
  • Beautifully scripted, memorably casted...maybe TV just wasn't ready for the brilliance that was Freaks and Geeks.

Freaks and Geeks, short-lived as it may have been, remains my favourite television series of all-time. It dared to go to that place that is either avoided or overly sensationalized by other television series: High school.

And everything about this show was so real. It did not require a stretch of the imagination to see where you could fit in with the main group of characters, or to envision yourself in similar situations...Heck, most of us had gone through exactly the type of obstacles that they faced each episode, and dealt with them similarly. The friends were our high school buddies, or even ourselves, the families were our families, and the people playing extras in the background reminded you of those people that you never spoke to or really even noticed, but were always in the background of your school life. And the great thing was that we got to see most every perspective of high school, from the geeks and AV nerds, to the jocks and cheerleaders, to the burnouts, mathletes, and teachers, in an honest way.

The kids in this show weren't portrayed as caricatures of overwrought angsty teens, nor were they John Hughes-esque 'teenagers, yours lives are precious' characters, who somehow always knew more than the adults around them. No, these are typical kids who are more likely to respond to an insult with "Oh yeah? Well, you're a...uh, a big loser!" than to come up with some groundbreaking, witty insult that makes you automatically wonder what kind of tunnel-visioned perspective of teenagers the script-writers must have. I know that I had a huge shortage of witty comebacks when I was a teenager...and I still do, unless I have a lot of time to think about it.

So, with a show so honestly scripted, with such endearing characters with whom we can all relate in some way...you would think that this show would have lasted more than one season.

What saddens me is that networks are afraid to keep such realistic portrayals of life on the air because, in their opinion, who wants to see their own lives on-screen? Apparently, we all want to escape into the worlds of the deeply troubled, the filthy rich, and the over-sexed or drug-abusing, and the dysfunctional families...in short the fictional (and sometimes non-fictional) people whose lives grace the television with nearly every new pilot that airs. For the most part, we haven't proven them wrong...and it's our thirst for these sensationalized depictions that let gems like Freaks and Geeks slip through the cracks.

We all remember these shows fondly, and wish that there were more like them on TV today...and maybe if Freaks and Geeks had waited a few more years before coming to television it would have had more success...but, for future shows of this genre to have any chance of survival, we have to pull our heads out of our butts (to put it mildly) and watch them.
  • High school freaks and geeks in the 80s. What more could you ask for?

I really miss this show. It was so completely underrated. A perfect example of television at its greatest but still unappreciated by mainstream audiences. Every single character was believable and uniquely hilarious from the kids to the adults. The cast was perfect as well. Upcoming stars like James Franco and Linda Cardelini shined in their parts. I'm so glad I stumbled upon it on late night television (it had been pushed to a late slot after poor ratings I assume). It's so rewatchable and the humour remains even after multiple viewings (believe me I would know).

TV producers should look back to shows like these to really understand what TV SHOULD be about.
  • I have just finished watching the complete series of freaks and geeks and am frustrated that it is over. I LOVED this show. I cant understand why I had no clue of it back in 1999. Im completely bored with whats on the television today.

i loved this show and am completely desprete for more. I am so tired of the choices of television shows on tv today. reality after reality. im bored out of my mind and find that the tv stays off way more that it is turned on. I looked forward to this show coming in the mail and am saddened that its over. Can someone please pick up the show so I can watch tv again??
  • it's nothing but a beyond amazing show that desparately needs to be put back on television!!

gosh. i hella miss this show so much. it's definitely one of the best shows to ever come on tv. why it ever got canceled and/or taken off is a mystery to me because this is seriously one of the best, most funny, shows a person can watch. the characters are somewhat realistic, the acting is great, the episodes rock, the dialogue kicks ass. how did they show freaking get canceled or whatever? this show needs to be put back on tv immediately. it promotes old school music and it shows that how it feels to be a little different then most kids in high school. it shows the kids who fit in, the kids who don't. yeh, it's just the best show to ever come on tvvv.
  • I miss this show

Freaks and Geeks was one of the best shows when it was on. I can not believe that it got cancelled after only one season. I bought the season on DVD and I watch it often. I wish this show was still on. They could have made many more episodes based on how the last one ended. I like the geeks better than the freaks because they are so much funnier. They always get into stupid problems and the way they try to solve them is one of the best parts of this show. Hopefully they will show the reruns on TV one day.
  • fantastic program absolutely love it

the show was fantastic the idea was great and the cast was great it should never have ended I would of liked it to come back but they couldn\'t do it know the cast has moved on it the cast made the program if they did with any other people it wouldn\'t be the same. I think the people that cancelled that program are a idiots who have no idea what people really want and I intend to boycott there channel completely because any good program will just get cancelled whats the point I mean if so many of there programs weren\'t cancelled so quickly they and put on stupid times they would get the ratings they want with a bit of time.
  • One of the best shows EVER.

If there ever was a show to watch, this would be it. Seriously, if the end of the world was nearing, and you wanted to watch as many shows as you could, you better watch this one!! it TRUTHFULLY portrays high school life...none of that fake crap where everyone's hair is perfect and everyone learns their lesson or whatever. No, everyone here has their faults as well as their talents, everyone makes mistakes and not all of them get fixed, and not everyone has a loving family. Yet, even though it shows the not-so-nice parts of high school, it's still one of the FUNNIEST shows you'll ever see...so watch it!!
  • nice

i really liked this show it's a pitty they cancelled it. they said they cancelled it because of bad ratings and if so they are right because i have to admit the ratings of Freaks and Geeks where very low but they should have atleast waited a bit longer. here is my opionion on the show. It has a very good polt and story line although not may favourite type. the cast is very good they all fit in the characters that have been asgined to them. thats all as i said earlier it's a pity that this show was canelled.
  • A funny and heart-warming show about teen life circa 1980.

Aside from the fact that it spoke my specific generation and seemed to recount almost exactly the high school which I attended in Canada, it was just a great show all around, from the writing to performance. Most people involved in that show are now super successes. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it, only everything was right with it. Every single episode delivered. So why was it cancelled? Just like what\'s happened with Arrested Development, such a càncellation reveals some deeper disease within our television system. What is this flaw? When a television program is not properly marketed, they blame the program and throw away a masterpiece. When a television program is a success, everyone gets credit for it. Yet we have to wonder, is there any instinct or heart to any of this. Everyone knew it was a great show, but alas the ratings... what to do? So many stories like this where great shows are lost for very forgettable reasons, like Star Trek, which struggled to stay afloat, only to become a cultural phenomenon that would last for 4 decades.
  • If it was possible for this show to come back I'd so be campaigning for it!

Freaks and Geeks was amazing! I can't believe the network was crazy enough to cancel it! It's sad what such and amazing show is cut short. I wish the networks would take a step back and realize quality show when they see them. So maybe the ratings are great the first season. Give the show a chance to grow!
< 1 2 3