Freaks and Geeks

NBC (ended 2000)

RoryJamesSaywer

Freaks and Geeks Fan Reviews (90)

• Freaks and Geeks Great Show

I loved this show so much. I have watched it several times through. This show is funny and serious at the same time. Yeah, im not from the 80's but it is a good representation of the 80's. Love the all star cast as well. Perfect show.
  • Ahead of the Curve

This show has everything a hit series about high school needs. It was just about ten years ahead of its time. The characters are realistic and believable, the situations are realistic and they truly captured that awkward feeling of high school. In my opinion, Freaks and Geeks just needed a different audience. Today's audience.
  • Best show ever

I loved this show. It has everything that I love about a series. Although it only had one season, the depth of the characters, the story line, and pace of the show was remarkable. I really wish they would make a reboot, or something along the lines of a student in high school or college like this. As the story line develops, you really start to fall in love with each and everyone of the characters. For me after about 4 episodes, I realized how great of a character bill was and how he by himself kinda made the show that much better. You can say that "it never had the chance to spoil by having a lot of The ending leaves you wanting more and make you feel like you lost a best friend, and that everything in your life is not worth living for anymore. How could they cancel this show. Quality TV. Highly recommended.
  • Amazing TV Series!!!

I just found about freaks and geeks while browsing the filmography of James Franco - a big fan of him. Really sad it had only one season. Totally addicted to it. Lindsay is so damn good. Wish it had more episodes :(
  • People are still discovering it, and loving it, today

I just discovered it, being a big James Franco fan, and having watched the first episode I was already hooked. I am blasting through them and I have to say I am yet to find a more relatable, accurate and painfully funny presentation of teenagers. It avoids all the obvious cliches and is a joy to watch. Linsay is smashing, but the best part of this show has to be Bill. I would definitely recommend.
  • Cancelled WAY before its' time

All I have to say about this show is that it was funny, having my relate to almost every segment that the "Geeks" had, and it was certainly interesting to see Linda Cardellini, who is a voice actor currently for children's cartoons, try to find her place in the world... whether it was with the burnouts, or the math squad at her high school.

You'll find, while watching "Freaks and Geeks", that you get invested with Linsay's dilemmas of just fitting in.
  • this show gave me pure joy.

All I have to say is... WOW. This is one of the best shows I have ever watched in my lifetime. Every little aspect of this series intrigued me. After finishing the last episode, I was honestly heartbroken. And not to mention the amazing talents of Linda Cardellini, John Daley, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, Samm Levine, Busy Philipps, James freaking Franco, and Martin Starr, in which many of these characters you may recognize the names of, have moved onto some great acting careers. The characters in this show were cast so well. It is a great cult classic. My favorite characters were Harris, Mr Rosso, and the Weirs. I would sometimes cringe at how awkward Sam Weir was, but he was a great character. The fact that they got so much done in only 18 episodes was the amazing part, I just wish they could've expanded more with some of the situations
  • Being Only 18 Episodes is What Made It Memorable...

The brilliant part is that in few TV episodes all the teenage ups and downs is uncovered...

Funny and irresistible
  • The best canceled-after-18-episodes show ever.

NBC couldn't be more stupid after canceling Freaks and Geeks after only one season. The cast was great, with a lot of up and coming stars like Jason Segel, James Franco, and Seth Rogen. The cast was so great, I believe if anyone other than the original cast of "That '70s Show", this cast of teens should of played the kids in "That '80s Show" with the season taking place in 1980-1981.

The story revolves around the Weir family, with fresh meat Sam being part of the "Geeks" and elder sister Lindsay trying to fit in with the "Freaks" after trying to shed all her memories of being a mathlete and what not.

Sam was a innocent character, although he always created awkward situations for himself and I kinda got annoyed as his childishness. His main friends are Neal Schwieber, a kinda funny guy with a rich dad and thoughts that he isn't as geeky as the rest of his friends, and Bill Haverchuck, is tall for his age, kinda slow and talks emotionless, but really I thought he was one of the funniest, if not, funniest characters on the show. They are sometimes rounded out by the overweight Gordon Crisp and also somewhat emotionless, but nonetheless hilarious, Harris Trinsky.

The "freaks" are Jason Segel as Nick, a stoner, (who quits later on in the series to impress Lindsay) and an owned of a 29-piece drum set, something he wants to become famous for one day. There's James Franco as Daniel, a funny, cool guy who has an on-and-off again relationship with Kim, a sort of "tomboy" with crazy parents. There's also sidekick Seth Rogen as Ken, who's unbelievably sarcastic but eventually finds love in the school band's tuba player. Lindsay, trying to fit in, tries to fit in with the crowd but pulling things off such as stealing her parents' car, and causing destruction on Halloween.

Anyhow, I really love most of the characters, (I don't know about Sam) and even Mr. & Mrs. Weir - Harold and Jean, are pretty funny and enjoyable. Freaks and Geeks was a wonderful show and it was a shame it only lasted a season.
  • Why was this cancelled? WHHHHHYYYYYY????? MINOR SPOILERS BELOW.

Lol for being melodramatic, anyway to the show. Freaks and Geeks is about main character Lindsay Weir and brother Sam Weir. Lindsay is becoming a sophomore, and Sam is becoming a freshman. Lindsay is a shy, very intelligent girl who's life changes dramatically. Her grandmother dies and she starts questioning morals and everything, she turns over to a new side, the Freaks. The Freaks are a gang of big under-achievers and spend most of their time rebelling, smoking, and causing trouble. One of the main themes of the show is how her life changes when she turns to this new clique.

Sam is a small, shy, nerdy, confused boy who is somewhat of an outcast to the most of kids instead of his friends. He starts out with a big crush, the sweet cheerleader Cindy Sanders. He has many problems throughout the series, trying to get a date with Cindy and his cold hearted bully who picks on him and the rest of the geeks.

The Geeks are part of Sam's clique. The Geeks are 3 (later 4-5) kids who do work, are outcasts, don't have many friends, and play D & D. Friendly to each other and others, they don't get in much trouble and try to follow the rules as much as they can. The 2 other main geeks are Neal and Bill, Sam's best friends. The 4 other main freaks are Daniel, Ken, Nick, and Kim. Daniel is a burnout, Nick is a striving artist, Ken is a sarcastic underachiever, and finally Kim is Daniels girlfriend, spends most time having sex and fighting with Daniel.

Now that I've explained all the main characters, let me tell you more about the show and its themes until it's cancellation. I'll try not to spoil it as much.

Contrary to it's high school theme, it's actually realistic! Surprise, huh? There are barely any realistic high school comedy-dramas, and this might actually be the only one. Each episode of it is a realistic view of high school back in 80's, themes are peer pressure, drugs, education, and so on. Every main character has their very own episode, focused on just them. We learn about each main characters more personal life every step of the way. Not every episode is just about the central character, Lindsay.

Characters change and learn lessons throughout the series, it explores and deals with serious issues.

Not only does it have a great plot and story, it also has a rockin' soundtrack too. Mostly classic rock, songs played on there were released when the time takes place, or are big hits by that time. At least 2 songs are played within every episode, it really is a nice addition.

I loved pretty much every aspect of the show, so much spot-on realism, and a great ability to balance out the drama and comedy. I will never forget about this show, as it is one of my biggest favorites.
  • One simple, random comment from Judd Apatow was all it took to kill my enjoyment of the show.

5.5
    I never caught “Freaks and Geeks” when it aired, despite raves from family and friends. I caught part of an episode and was suddenly intrigued. I borrowed the DVD collection and began watching it obsessively. “Freaks and Geeks” appeared to be one of those rare cult-classic, cancelled-before-its-time shows that actually deserved real attention. The whole team had really captured the discomfort and awkwardness of high school. Clearly the show’s demise was premature and unfortunate.

As I watched the DVDs I delved through all the extra features and read the DVD booklet. I came to a short section where creator Judd Apatow answered questions he received from fans. One question was what was going to happen to the characters. They set up a great cast, and since it’s really the characters that drive a show (as opposed to the premise), it was the characters that the fans were interested in. Apatow’s reply was “anything you want to happen would happen.” This comment wasn’t wry or ironic; it was rude, callus, and frankly just plain stupid. This killed my love of the show.

Why would Apatow say this? Why would he insult the intelligence of all the fans of the show? His response might as well have been, “Who cares?” Or rather, “Why do you care?” A writer or producer with any real love of their medium would have eagerly told fans all the secrets they’d never get to or explained where they wanted the series to go. I suggest this because other producers of other cult shows canceled “before their time” love talking about their shows in interviews, on blogs, and especially on DVD sets. This was the place to share the love with F&G fans, and Apatow screwed up.
  • This show failed to capture my imagination. It lacked the quality to grip me to my screen. The show did, however, touch on the teenage issues we all go through, and it handled them well.

2.2
    This show failed to capture my imagination. It lacked the quality to grip me to my screen. Whilst there were some funny moments, this show didn’t make me wonder what happens next or keep me glued to the screen.

The show did, however, touch on the teenage issues we all go through, and it handled them well. A viewer could easily relate to issues brought up in the show, but would get more spending the time watching a couple of episodes of Saved By The Bell instead.

To some viewers, this show might be a much needed piece of entertainment and to others it would be a waste of an hour. Like the old saying goes; One mans trash is another mans treasure.
  • I wanted this show to be good

5.4
    After all the hype I heard about Freaks and Geeks, I decided to check it out, long after it had been taken off the air. I wanted so badly for this to be a great show, even for me to lament the fact that it had been cancelled.

I just didn't. Something wasn't comfortable about the show - it could be that I hated most of the characters on it except for Lindsey and Sam and no matter how good the writing is, a show will never last if the characters are not likeable. That, and I never wanted to see Busy Phillips/Kim Kelly's sneering face again. Ugh.

Generally, the show was okay, something I'm glad that I've seen just so I know what it was, but something that the hype seems overrated for.
  • Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, James Franco and co in their early days.

Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, James Franco and co in their early days. This is without a doubt the show that made them. It`s a teen show but not just another one, I think many things makes it way better that the others. The cast very very talented. Most of the leads, the supporting cast and also the guests (Ben Stiller appears in one) are great. The stories are pretty good(brings some good ole memories) with some great characters (except perhaps Sam Weir who is beyond annoying). The show centers around Linda Weir played but the talented Linda Cardellini. Judd Apatow is the producer. It`s great that now that he is one of the leading producers of the comedy genre, he still works with some of the cast of Freaks and Geeks(The movie Knock up is literally a reunion).The show also had a great soundtrack. I`ll never forget the finale as it got me into the Grateful Dead who without a shout of a doubt is one of the best band ever.
    Freaks and geeks got canceled after a season as it was against who want to be millionaire. That`s another win for the reality/game shows over good TV.
  • Maybe the best show of it's kind!

Yes I do believe that Freaks and Geeks is a must see comedy. It has it all, great actors, great scripts, just an hour of pure enjoyment. Just take a look at all the actors and how much success they are all enjoying. Linda Cardellini was a perfect cast here. A great lead character, a geek/freak. I loved the way she struggled between the two. Jason Segel had so many awkward moments that were just brilliantly acted. Run out and buy this DVD set. An absolute shame we only got 18 episodes! Thanks Judd for a real gem that I will watch over and over again.
  • My mind = Blown

Anyone who has read my other reviews know that I say this alot, but this series was incredible. Freaks and Geeks was a high school drama that you can relate to. Freaks and Geeks deals with problems that face the everyday high school student, unlike other shows of the same genre (I mean who the hell can relate to the OC, or 90210?). An amazing cast including Linda Cardellini (ER, Scooby Doo), James Franco (Milk, The Pineapple Express), Jason Segal (How I Met Your Mother, I Love You, Man), and Seth Rogan (Superbad, The Pineapple Express). The only thing I disliked about the series was Sam Weir (played by John Francis Daley), not only was he not a good actor, I absolutely hated his hair. Anyways, I strongly recomend everyone watch this series.
  • amazing

so... I´ve just downloaded and watched the whole thing and I´m now wondering how this gets cancelled after only 1 season?

It is true that its a lot of ground is covered and since the show depends mostly on freshmen and seniors it started with its days counted (similar to friday night lights), since when you don´t have all your characters on the same environment a lot is lost and any show usually becomes poor (like one tree hill or the old beverly hills) but still... i dunno. It´s just too good to be cancelled after only a single season. The show really benefits from its cast, most of the main cast are now successful actors in big productions. Anyway, its a good season and I recommend it. I don´t have much to add to the other reviews, but I just felt I could drop a good word so maybe we get more shows like this one in the future.
  • Great start to a great show.

I absolutely love this episode. We are introduced to some truly amazing characters: Bill, Neil, and Sam the geeks, Daniel, Ken, Kim, and Nick the freaks; Lindsey the ex-mathlete trying to become part of the freaks. We meet Lindsey and Sam's parents Mr. and Mrs. Weir, who have to be the most realistic parents ever shown on TV. In this episode Sam and Lindsey don't want to go to the homecoming dance. Their parents insist they do, with the reason that high school is about socializing. How they end up going is classic. When the geeks beat up the school bully was also brilliant too. In the end this is a great start to an amazing, albeit short lived series
  • this show is perfect

first, everything in this show is perfect. the acting, the writing, the directing. all of the characters feel real. it's 98% accurate to high school life. the relationships between the characters feel genuine. every episode is fantastic. i believe everyone can relate to at least one of the characters in the show. even the music they play on the show feels just right in each scene. I really wanted to see this show go on for at least a second season. i also love the way it focuses on the outcasts in high school instead of it being a typical high school comedy/drama
    My alltime favorite show. Though I grew up in the sixties in a small town, this show is a frighteningly accurate picture of life in school. It was hell. This show helps me laugh at what was so painful then. I remember the agony of gym class, the tightly knit cliques, the idiotic adults that taught us and were very much like children themselves. Everything was so confusing then. Friendships changed overnight so you never knew who you could count on. It was very frightening and lonely. My favorite people were the freaks because they didn't give a damn and seemed to be having fun. They were much more interesting anyway. Great show!
  • This show centers around a family named the Weir family. But it mostly centers around a brother and sister. This show takes off with Sam and Lindsay going to highschool in the early 1980s somewhere in Michigan. To bad it didnt last long I blame Nbc lol.

Looking back I saw all these episodes. It may of been alittle out of order but who cares. I really wished to hell this tv show would of made it to maybe a second or third season. They had a great cast of stars on here. They also did a great job of makeing the show look and feel like it was done in the early 1980s. This was a great time to be alive and there were freaks and geeks not to mention disco was almost dead. And Rock and Roll was coming fast and furious. In so many ways I wanna blame Nbc. I could be wrong. But they never should of played with the different time slots. They had a great show on there hands. And I still wonder to this day if something else was involved on why it got canned so early when it was on.
  • It makes me angry that this show was canceled. It was and is brilliant!

It makes me angry that this show was canceled. It was and is brilliant! Each episode was written well and kept me anticipating what would happen next. In the 18 episodes that made up freaks and geeks there were twists and turns a long the way. It depicted what high school was and is really like. It was geeky and funny, but not cheesy and lame. It made me smile and feel light hearted. The characters developed over the short time and it would have been fantastic to have seen them develop more. To see what eventually happened to Lindsey and Nick. Would they eventually realise that they are in love with each other? Would Lindsey stay in school? It was great seeing Daniel and Kim finally happy. Kim with Lindsey going for a trip out of town, and Daniel with the geeks playing a game with people who he could be himself around. That goes with Sam, Bill and Neil. It was great seeing them happy. They were finally cool and they didn't have to pretend to be someone else to do it. Fantastic show! I wish this show had not been canceled.
  • "Freaks and Geeks" follows the lives of high school students, each in their groups- the "freaks", and the "geeks"; whom along the way encounter conflicts, but come to realize they're not so different and that they can be friends. A "coming of age" series.

Though it only ran 18 episodes, "Freaks And Geeks" is possibly one of the most original, classic, and priceless shows of all time. Each episode is filled with golden moments of classic humor that will leave you quoting the show time and time again. Many who watch this show can't help but be a fan of it. There is something in at least one of the characters in this show, that each of us can relate to- making it a show that viewers can connect to. It is a timeless portrayal of the "high school experience"; the bullies, the insecurities, the awkward moments, the first crush, wanting to fit in- and then realizing it doesn't matter so much, and finally- finding your own place. Each character brings something special to the show, and with early performances from actors like James Franco, Seth Rogen, and Jason Segel- who have all broke out into bigger films and comedy roles, this show is a perfect package- one that you won't regret watching, and one that will stick with you for a very long time.
  • I grew up in the wrong era. Forget the 90's its all about the 80's

When i first heard about this show it was airing on comedy central. I checked it out and i was not a fan. It felt like i was watching nick at nite again. I grew up in the 90's so it was hard for me to relate to this and thats the best part of this show, seeing yourself in some of the freaks and geeks. Now im 18 and out of highschool. I have been looking into all of Judd apatows movies and in the middle of his imdb page was freaks and geeks. Everything judd has done I have been a fan of. So i decided to revisit this show. Glad i did. I watched episode 1 at a friends house and as soon as the credits rolled i went out to buy the DVD. I may not be able to relate to this as much as my parents but no matter when you grew up, every highschool has freaks and geeks. I've had my geeky days. Ive had my freaky days. I love this show just for the fact that each character on the show is like one of my friends in real life. Seth rogans character reminds me of my friend robby, doesnt talk much but always has an oppinion. I can do that with each character. I relate to the chacters even though I grew up in the 90's. There will always be freaks and geeks. This show is perfect. I can pop it in my dvd player any day and I am automatically in a good mood. I held off on watching the last episode for about a month because I always wanted to have something to look forward to. This did not get the views it deserved because it did not get the air time it deserved. Buy the DVD. You won't regret it.
  • Simply one of the greatest TV shows ever created! FACT***

Freaks And Geeks was one the best TV shows around i never got to see this when it was on TV as i think that was for alot of people thats why it was canceled but just because it was canceled after one season don't let that stop you from watching this amazing TV show just think of it as the best 18 hour teen movie you will ever see.

This show was too good for its time and really shame that was canceled so soon it would have only gotten better with age but this is a must watch for any real tv/movie fan you will not be disappointed. You will even see some guest appearances from todays biggest stars for example Ben Stiller and up and coming Shia LaBeouf.
  • From creator Paul Feig, and producer Judd Apatow, comes a cult classic about a high school with the freaks...and the geeks.

The show centered on a teenage girl, Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini), and her brother, Sam (John Francis Daley), both attending McKinley High School during the 1980–1981 school year in the town of Chippewa, Michigan, a fictional suburb of Detroit. You have your geeks: John Daley, Samm Levine, and Martin Starr. And your freaks: James Franco, Linda Cardellini, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, and Busy Phillips. I remember watching this show when it was on, but not understanding it. Now 14, and watching show, it was a shame this got cancelled, but if it didn't, it wouldn't be as good of a show.
  • The fact that this show is a "cult classic" makes this show good, and even seeing Seth Rogen, and Jason Segel makes it funny.

The show centered on a teenage girl, Lindsay Weir (Linda Cardellini), and her brother, Sam (John Francis Daley), both attending McKinley High School during the 1980–1981 school year in the town of Chippewa, Michigan, a fictional suburb of Detroit. I remember watching this when it came on even though I was like 5 years old lmao. Now that I watch it as a 14 year old, I like the show even more. Even though it only lasted one season that's what makes it great, and the show recieved massive cult status with DVD sales and what not. That's really it.
  • One of the best TV series of all time!

I was born in '85 so I never got to experience the 70's unfortunately, but my parents never grew up since the 70's. So with them I was able to understand this show and absolutely loved it.

Freaks and Geeks is a story with really two main characters, Lindsay and Sam, who are brother and sister. Sam is a "geek" with his two friends Neil and Bill, who are absolutely hilarious and trust me you won't stop laughing. Then there is Lindsay, who seems lost being in high school, and starts to hang out with the "freaks" who do drugs, drink, listen to rock, and go against pretty much everything her family believes.

The acting is incredible and so believable. The music is the best part of the whole show. Styx, Zep, Rush, Van Halen, The Grateful Dead, and a lot more. I own to Season 1 box set and I make my friends watch it and now they realize how great of a show it is, but it sucks it's canceled. Even though it is canceled I will never stop watching my Season 1 of Freaks and Geeks and everyone should watch this show!!
  • Freaks and Geeks is a cool TV Show

Freaks and Geeks is one of my favourite TV Shows of All Time along with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, South Park, 7th heaven, One Tree Hill, Malcolm in the middle, Dark Angel, Friends and Doug Funny . The Show is really funny. My favorite character is Daniel because he is really cool. But I also like Lindsay, Sam, Bill, Neal, Nick and Ken and the other Geeks. I think the Show was cancelled to early, only 18 episodes. But the Least Episode: Discos and Dragons was very great. Please vote on my Freaks and Geeks poll on www.misterpoll.com/polls/340570

• A terrific show that was canceled too soon!

This was one of the first shows I got hooked on as a teen!!! It's an absolutely terrific show in everyway. The writing and the actors were great and the entire feel of the show was much more life-like than most other shows for teens. I was so upset when it was cancelled and immediately bought the dvd when it was released. I"m happy that judd apatow and that whole crew is making a huge comeback in hollywood. I just tell any of my friends that like superbad or knocked up to watch freaks and geeks because they'll love it.