Freaks and Geeks

Smooching and Mooching

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jul 08, 2000 on NBC

• Bill Haverchuck is King.

Everything about this episode is delightful, which is just one reason why it's such a tragedy that it never even got to air. The thing about Freaks and Geeks is that it gets better with each episode as you have a chance to get to know the characters, and as they get to know each other. If this show would have been allowed to mature past one or two seasons, who knows how many more classic episodes we would have gotten. But "Smooching and Mooching" is my favorite of the whole series for one reason: Bill Haverchuck. From the moment he opens his mouth at lunch, painfully open-mouthed and awkward, complaining about kissing, you know you're going to be in for a treat. Martin Starr deserved some kind of award for this character. "I mean, what are you supposed to do, lick the inside of her mouth?" he says, and really, isn't that something we all think? He's just one of the few who can say it out loud. So at the end when he's in the closet and he tells Vicky off for judging him on appearance and they end up making out, it's one of the best moments in the whole series. Who'da thunk?