Friday Night Lights

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Dec 17, 2008 on The 101

• Matt's grandmother continues deteriorating while J.D and his father snap.

Talk about an intense episode. After building up all season, J.D McCoy and his father finally had it out and it wasn't pretty. Luckily, it was in a public place so Coach and Tami could see it but man... even if we could see it coming from ten episodes away, it was still a powerful, chill-inducing scene. I wonder how this will effect the rest of the season. Equally powerful in a completely different way was the deterioration of Matt's grandmother. When I saw her getting out of the car as Matt's mom backed up, I was shocked. It was a crazy scene and created tension between Matt and his mom after the doctor claims the grandmother needs to be put into a home.

We also found Tim Riggins stepping up and being a great responsible (for him, at least) adult, trying to help Lila talk to her father again and help things calm down. Taylor Kitsch has turned from an okay actor at the start of the series to a great one three seasons in. I'm looking forward to where the writers will take him through the finale.

Every episode this season, we get closer and closer to having Landry and Tyra back together. The more they hang out, the more it makes sense for them to be together. This episode also found Tyra and her mother having a heart to heart that was as emotional as anything else the show has done before.

I usually do longer reviews than this, but it's Thanksgiving and I wanna eat! I'll just say that this episode was one of my favorites this season.

• This is the best episode of the season so far.

I thought the episode was very moving. I love every minute of it. It captures the real moments in life in an non-cheesy way. When Lyla broke down, you can feel what she's feeling. The speech Tim said to her, after the football game, wasn't the typical lovey-dovey kind of speech, but more of a sweet and touching speech. I also really like the relationship between Matt and his mom. It seems like she's making up for lost time. The altercation between JD and his dad was surprising. I'm glad it happened because his dad was controlling every bit of his life. It's about time JD stepped up and stand up for himself.