Friday Night Lights

Backfire

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 26, 2007 on The 101

• The body of the rapist is found while Jason and Tim go to Mexico to look into a surgical procedure.

Okay, so maybe I spoke too soon. I think the "stem-cell spinal surgery" plot that Jason and Tim are involved in right now is the lamest plot going on. It seems absurd that Jason would drag his friend along to Mexico and stay there for a week without telling anybody to get a risky surgery. I love the idea of the writers focusing on Jason's new-found urge to walk again, but they're going about it the wrong way. This whole Mexico thing is a bit absurd and I feel like the writers are getting further away from what makes this show great.

That being said, I thought Scott Porter and Taylor Kitsch did a good job with the scenes. Their drunken scenes singing karaoke were funny and touching at the same time. As for the rest of Dillon, the other big plot point is the return of Coach Taylor. Buddy Garrety finds a tricky way to get Coach McGregor fired from the school so Taylor can return. Not only is the return of Taylor to the team a good sign for the season, but it also creates what should be a potential future plot by having Taylor and McGregor go head to head (you just know the writers are going to have McGregor get hired by a team that Dillon will have to face, sort of like the Dillon vs. Voodoo last year).

Based on my last few reviews, it may seem like I'm being a bit harsh on the show, but I'm just being honest. I really do love this show and I absolutely loved the first season, but I think we're just getting the typical sophomore slump that most shows get. I think having fifteen episodes instead of twenty-two is a detriment to the show, mostly because last season, there was anopportunityto slowly develop plots. Now, we're forced to fast-forward through stuff.

Because of this, I feel like we're rushing through some of the scenes with Lila. She randomly meets this guy who just got released from juvie, and since she's a good Christian, she gets him a job at her dad's store. And I don't think I mention it enough, but Brad Leland has done a great job as of late as Buddy. Buddy was annoying at the beginning of last season, but the show has fleshed him out a lot more.

As for the rest of the cast, it's the usual. The running-back only plan for the team isn't working, Landry gets nervous after the rapist's body is found and Tyra is questioned about the body, only because her drawing of him last season matched the body found.

Half of the plots are moving in the right direction right now. As for the other half, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

• . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .

4.9
    I watched this but it didn't have any sound half way through..did anyone else have this similar thing happen? i don't know what happened. it was really getting interesting too and then all of a sudden i heard the background noise and no foreground noise. i was just wondering if this only happened to me. i'm in san diego, . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . ..
  • The coach is back!!!!! This is exactly why i watch this show. spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!! you have been worned!

i personly liked this episode a lot because coach tylor is back!!!
    in landry is simingly cleared of nurder as the body is found and tyra is qusetioend and than informed that they are closing the case, i think it is premture and is yet to be seen.
    Jason goes down to mexico with Tim to under go stemsell surgery. Tim isn't to happy about this and he asks lila to come down to mexico to convince Jason not to do it.
    if you are looking for more wate for the full recap.
    i will just say, that the show is very well written and the plot twistes and turns and makes me want to see next weeks episode yesterday.

Go panthers!!!
  • Coach Taylor's story moves to the forefront but other storylines were littering up the episode.

Coach Taylor's quick resignation from TMU was predicted but no one could have predicted it would occur as rapidly as it did. For one, Coach Taylor was surprised that there was no transition. Like the Yankees' recent communication with A-Rod - if you don't want to be part of the team, don't be part of the team. But when Eric Taylor returns to Dillon, he starts to feel the pressures of the small town again. He is immediately back in conflict with Buddy. Also, he immediately is more involved with his daughter's life, which right now, is not too welcome a challenge. Riggins and Street spend the week in Mexico and at first, Riggins looks like the idiot making the bad decisions - he just wants to blow their money and have fun. Street is there for a "serious" purpose. But in the end, it is Street who looks foolish, telling everyone at the bar how shark cells are going to help him walk again in a language no one understands. It will definitely be interesting to see how this resolves.

Lyla's story was interesting but didn't advance any part of main plot other than put her back in good graces with her father. Julie's story is somewhat compelling with the Mom/Daughter talk and the Swede's actions in conformity therewith. The interesting character development that occurs here is for Eric Taylor and Coach McGregor. McGregor clearly made some bad decisions with the team and his misfortune is not at all unprecedented. But from an episodic television standpoint, there could have been more to build up his termination. That being said, it happened basically as it had been plotted. The surprise twist at the end was finally putting a face on McGregor as he's exiting stage left (for now). This definitely sets up some interesting rematches/rivalries down the road for the Panthers. Everyone wanted to see McGregor get fired - the fans, Eric Taylor, Buddy Garrity, etc. But now we see the consequences of our own selfishness. McGregor has a family and was working a job just like the rest of us. There are consequences and one of them will be a team in transition. Coach Taylor has his work cut out for him on the home front and on the football field, and that is before he runs into McGregor again.
  • Jason and Tim go wild in Mexico so Jason can get his surgery. Lyla befriends an ex-con. Landry and Tyra grow anxious about their secret. Julie's infatuation with the Swede fades. Coach Taylor returns after a betrayal of Coach MacGregor.

I liked this episode, it was well written and thought out.

The entire scenes in Mexico were hilarious. Watching Street karaokee and talk about Dillon after all of the cervecas was great. Riggins offering to bribe a cop to show him to the senoritas was great. Then things went south when Tim's concern for the shark stem cell surgery forced him to call Lyla because he fears he won't be able to stop Jay. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Was it just me or did the Swede or Anton really do a 180 this week, well maybe more like a 120, but he totally blew Julie off, when it seemed like last week he was totally trying to get in her pants. Maybe he just realized that Julie came with Tami and Eric and that was not something he was interested in getting involved in. Although I wonder if we have really seen the last of Anton.

It looks like things are starting to unravel for Tyra and Landry, the discovery of the body in the river puts their secret in jeopardy. Though it is Landry's dad who truly suspects something is up when he realizes that the body in the river was the same man who attempted to rape Tyra. I feel that he does not really know what he suspects.

Then there was Coach Taylor, well he is back. I am guessing though that the conversation he had with Coach MacGregor on his front door step will lead him to feel guilty about the decision he made.

All in all a good installment, this show is coming back to greatness.
PIVOT