Friday Night Lights

Black Eyes & Broken Hearts

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2007 on The 101

• One of the best episodes of the series! This episode dealt carefully with the complex problem of racism and prejudice in a small town, looking at all sides. Incredibly thought-provoking and real. Great television.

One of the best episodes of the series hands down. I thought that the series would deal with the issue of Mac McGill's borderline racist comments heavy handedly, but it really tackled the issue with a sensitivity and clarity that I've not seen in a television show yet. It presented wonderfully the shades of grey in dealing with the consequences of McGills' statement and Smash's walkout. On one hand you have a dedicated, old assistant coach who is willing to resign and remorseful for misspeaking about stereotypes that are in play. On the other hand you have a righteously indignant Smash who struggles to figure out how to stand up for equality, and what the practical effect and consequences should be. Then the ending came which was brilliant in the way that it showed what real racism looked like, and how you need to put McGill's position in perspective. It had some football in it, but this episode was about the characters and about society as a whole. I also liked how they kept the subplots going as well, with a hilarious Landry reacting to the luscious Tyra, Julie's own points about how her parents were prejudging Tyra, and the parent's points about her rebellious and negative influence, and finally with Matt's reconciliation with Julie. Best moments of the episode:
    1. "I'm with you Riggins" "Shut up!"
    2. Smash's uneasiness to the great questions posed to him by the media. 3. "I felt something with her" "I bet you felt something"
    4. After Coach speaks to his wife as guidance counselor, wife, and friend. "The three of you scare me."
    5. McGill's heart to heart speech and offer of resignation.
    6. Mama Smash's great speech to Smash, you know how to get back at people, you play like a star, you get a scholarship into a great university and you show them.
    7. Great Landryisms "and secondly, look them in the eyes, not in the rack. That is a huge mistake."
    8. "All the other parents picked up their perps, why can't we pick up ours."
    9. The unexpected outcome of the football game.
    10. The scary showdown with the police, "you get that boy, or we'll go in and drag him out ourselves." With McGill standing firm asserting his rights to see a warrant.
    11. The haunting, weary bus ride home, set to some great music.
LONG