Friday Night Lights

Black Eyes & Broken Hearts

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 14, 2007 on The 101

• I hate to rain on the praise parade, but they were taking the easy way out

Before I rain all over the praise parade, I feel its necessary to state something first... I really do enjoy the show overall. I like all the main characters and almost all of the secondary players. I like in general the universe the show exist in....

HOWEVER (comma dramatic pause),

In this episode the racism card was played to predictable and underwelming sucess. I had problems with the way the writers seemed to wrap up this storyline. First off I liked that Macgill stood up for Smash to the police. I don't like that the head coach didn't seem to get what was happening on the field. The other team seemed to be primarily white or all the players who were taking shots at Smash were white. All the Refs were white. Why wasn't the head coach more "sensitive" to the "atmosphere" of the game. It was obvious to me and everyone I've spoken to about this episode that the Refs were out to punish Smash for "forgetting his place". Did he agree with what they were doing. Why was he upset with the team for protecting one of their own? If Macgill hadn't stepped up what would he have done? He seemed resigned to allowing the police to take Smash into custody. Matt is a nice White kid what if he was Black? Would he allow his black Qb to date his daughter? Does he think that Smash deserved the treatment he recieved? I originally though his reluctance to fire Macgill was because he didn't want to ruin his life by having him branded as a racist forever, but in light of his actions or lack thereof speak of other motives. Could it be Macgill was saying what he has felt all along? Could it be he agreed with him and if he admitted Mac was a racist then he would be admitting that he was a racist? I don't know the answers to these questions and that is my problem with this episode.
PIVOT