Friday Night Lights

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Mar 21, 2007 on The 101

• Well, this episode didn't really have a plot of it's own - except for the Tim/next door mom development at the end. Still, everything was handled so beautifully that it just didn't matter.

Let me start and say: I'm from Oklahoma. It's part of the bible belt. It's not a PC part of the country at all. And the people here - obsessed with football. People from the two states may hate each other, but we're pretty much the same in this. The best compliment I could give a show like this is to say that it could very well be set in my home town. Well, here goes: Friday Night Lights could very well be set in my hometown. It is that realistic. The storylines may occasionally be more than I've ever run into in my lifetime - but the characters are the most real I've ever seen.

Let's start with Julie. In this episode she's being an whiny brat about moving to Austin when her father is offered a job at TMU. She behaved just how any normal 15-year girl would. I love their family dynamics: they have their fights, their problems, but they are the portrait of a functional family despite what they have to overcome. It isn't easy to have that. And then there is Tim. He has so many issues and he doesn't know how to handle them. He doesn't make the best choices, and I think he knows that. Sometimes I just want to yell at him, but what can I do? He's a teenager. I'm not sure what he's thinking with this single mom, but it's only going to end in pain for him, just like everything else has. Even after all he's done, I still feel horribly for him.

There's so much more I could say, but it would take forever. If you want to know what was so good about this episode, watch it. You won't be disappointed at all.