Friday Night Lights Forums

The 101 (ended 2011)

Series Finale. S05E13 "Always."

Vidsignup

[1]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 7

Sadly one of the greatest shows of all time has come to and end. Vastly under appreciated because of the perception that this show is 'about football'. This show exuded quality from start to finish and it is sad to see it finish its run.

On to the episode:

Honestly as a fan who has invested endless hours into the show I was pretty disappointed with the way a lot of things turned out.

First really was coach moving. While it's an understandable plot point, to show his love for Tami, it seems that Tami made a call that messed up Eric's plans the last time he had a big job opportunity at TMU and she cited her career aspirations that time as well. So it seemed selfish of her to ask to uproot their whole family across the entire country. Plus I found it strange that any university would hire a dean of admissions on the platform of allowing lower entry standards.

Secondly, the Tim and Tyra thing was way too randomly thrown together. They were together at the beginning of the show but it very quickly dissolved in favor of other relationships. Tim and Lyla ran for essentially 4 seasons. Tyra and Landry for 3 and a half. Now Tyra comes back into town and she's talking about how 'it's hard when you really love someone'? (insinuating Tim for herself) Really? It's as if they just decided to disregard 90% of the show up to that point. Especially frustrating since they bothered to bring back the fantastically talented Jesse Plemmons as Landry. They even wrote a scene for Landry leaving a phone message for Tyra last season, and last viewers saw she loved him but needed to escape Dillon. To 'address their history' wouldn't have been enough. A face to face explanation of her abandonment wouldn't have been nice even if we already pretty much knew the answer. Minka Kelly wouldn't exactly have been busy around the time of filming either so it's really a shame they didn't decide to bring her back. It's fine if they didn't wrap those two relationships up in neat little happily ever after bows, but to have it end the way it did felt like character betrayal. Might as well have had Landry hook up with Lyla out of nowhere.

Matt and Julie was about the only thing I liked about the final 2 episodes.

However I won't judge or remember this show based on 2 poorly thought out episodes.

Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, and Zach Gilford are the 3 best actors that I have ever seen small screen or big. Kyle Chandler says more with a stare than most actors can say with 1000 lines. Connie's portrayal of the strong southern belle was charming and outstanding. And Zach Gilford's portrayal of Matt Saracen was tragic and inspiring. Jesse Plemmons was also quite funny and likeable as Landry. Kudos are also in order for Aimee Teegarden, Brad Leland, Gaius Charles, and Taylor Kitsch. Stacey Oristano was also quite good in season 5.

The show's unique approach to cinematography was something to behold and should be applauded.

This simply may be the very best show that I've ever seen and I will miss having the privilege of viewing the the lives of these amazing characters.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

luv2live

[2]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 14
    I have to agree and disagree on some points. I agree that this is an amazing show that has been under appreciated and I'm sad to see it end. Then again, I don't believe these last two seasons have been as strong as the first few. I did like the fact that Coach was sacrificing for his wife. With TMU, they both decided to go after their goals, he went to TMU for the job and he stayed in Dillon. In the end, it didn't work out, and yes, he left the job to come home. He had other job offers at colleges, but turned them down to stay in Dillon. It also sounded like there had been many moves in the past for Eric's coaching. You get a job offer like Tami did, you go for it. I liked that they showed him choosing his family over football.

The Tim and Tyra thing threw me, and in some ways I'm okay with it. After everything that Tim has been through, Tyra would accept him more for who he is, I don't think Lyla ever would. When she said "I've loved you since I was 5" it just made me go "awww". Maybe its the girl in me, and I'll admit that but its so darn sweet. I do agree that there should of been some talk or something between Landry and Tyra, they'd been through so much together for the writers to just ignore that. I did like the Texas forever moment between Billy and Tim, I thought that was nice. It would have been nice if they could have brought Streeter back. I saw promo photos and there was one sitting at the house with Tim and Billy. Not sure why they cut that out. Julie and Matt were sweet, I did think the marriage thing was a little rushed, she just got done having an affair with her teacher. If I was her parent I'd worry there were rushing it as well. But I understand why they did it, wanted to give it a nice ending.

Sad to see the show ending, overall I really loved it. It's one I won't soon forget. Made a east coast girl wonder what it would have been like growing up in a small Texas town. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

JimmeDK

[3]Feb 12, 2011

The last episode was emotional for me, especially because I knew it would be the last ever episode of FNL. I've never seen a show that has featured such great actors, writing and filming at the same time. This show has had so much hearth and nerve through the last five seasons that it is simply impossible not be be drawn in. It's been a great ride following these charecters portrayed with such brilliance that you just can't help caring about each and everyone of them.

The show will be missed greatly, because there is nothing else like it. RIP

Not living in the united states, I have no idea what kind of promotion this show have gotten. However, I keep coming back to the fact that I simply can't grasp how this show could fail on ratings, while other similar, but vastly inferior, shows gets renewed. It is simply sad for the wolrd of television that the real gems doesn't get a fair chance to shine.

bevan3423

[4]Feb 15, 2011

I was amazed that they were able to wrap everything up beautifully. It was a perfect ending to a perfect series.

They were setting up the Matt and Julie thing since about midway through the season.

Tim and Tyra was what would have ended up happening anyway, Lyla was too good for Tim, she would have never been content with the East Texas/Dillion life. I also thank your a little confused on how long they Tim and Lyla dated and you underestimate how long Tim and Lyla date before the show would have "taken" place.

I do feel that they rushed the Tami going after her goal and causingturbulencein her and Eric's marriage but they needed something to create tension and dram for the finale. (I cant believe she would even ask him to give up his dream, which he had spent years getting to a point ofsuccess)

I do feel it was the "right" ending for Eric to move for Tami. Yeah he (I also wanted) should have stayed in Dillion but moving out of Texas was added symbolism for the end of Friday Night Lights.

Vidsignup

[5]Feb 17, 2011
    No confusion here. Tim and Lyla's relationship began in episode 3 in an 'adulterous' manner. Most of season 2 pitted Tim against Lyla's new found religion. \

They were officially together for all of season 3. And in Season 4 her two episode arc expressed the feeling of Tim just waiting for her. As for how long Tim and Tyra dated 'before' it's irrelevant. Once you start speaking outside of the time line of the actual show then it's just pure speculation. What we saw, and the only thing viewers can take as fact, was Tim and Lyla for essentially 4 for seasons and Landry and Tyra for 3.

BrettBurton0

[6]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 2

What happened before the show does matter if the show provides a bit of background. It was obvious at the start of the series that Tim and Tyra had a very long history together. Plus, it's not like they didn't interact with each other at all after the third episode. They still were important in each other's lives (though admittedly not to the extent that Landry and Lyla were in S2 and 3). It makes sense that Tyra would understand Tim best due to their similar backgrounds. I don't think Lyla would have been able to handle post-prison Tim as well as Tyra did. Plus I don't see how the show betrayed Tyra's character. She's thriving in college, has a clear idea for what she wants to do in the future, and simply left open the possibility that she and Tim may end up together in the future. Sounds fine to me.

Vidsignup

[7]Mar 16, 2011
    Some specific evidence that makes the length of their history 'obvious' in the first episode? A quote? A statement? A picture of them with the year somewhere in it? People seem to like to make 'factual' statements based on their opinion, but they never have evidence to back up these statements.

Oh 'it was obvious', 'of course this happened'. So show concrete evidence. The only real evidence is what was shown on camera and in story. ie Tim/Lyla, Landry/Tyra. Everything else is again, pure speculation.

BrettBurton0

[8]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 2
    All you have to do is watch the first three episodes.