Friday Night Lights Forums

The 101 (ended 2011)

The Camera

sundaysfad

[1]Sep 21, 2007
    • level: 3

I think Friday Night Lights is a tremendous show! I love it! I love the characters and everything. But, the camera makes me dizzy for some reason. Sometimes I have to look away because it shakes a lot. I was just wondering why it does that...

Has anyone else noticed?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

clockworx23

[2]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 17
    I honestly never noticed the moving camera until i started reading reviews on the show. People were tanking the show soley based on the shaking camera which is cornball city. But yea once i read about it i started noticing it a lot more but within a few scenes i went back to not noticing.

Ofieliaz

[3]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 11

I think the camera thing is a big part of the show's charm. It makes me feel like I'm a part of the FNL-word! I think it's cool that everything isn't perfect, I'm tired of the perfect photo, the perfect light, the perfect makeup... It feels real!!!

BenRyan33

[4]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 16

clockworx23 wrote:
    I honestly never noticed the moving camera until i started reading reviews on the show. People were tanking the show soley based on the shaking camera which is cornball city. But yea once i read about it i started noticing it a lot more but within a few scenes i went back to not noticing.
    Exactly! I never even really thought about it until people said they thought the show was at least decent but the "terrible camera work" made it hard to watch or even unwatchable. From what I've read, the "shaky, handheld" approach got toned down as the season progressed so the earlier episodes have it more than the later eps.

Edited on 10/16/2007 7:21am

gjvrieze

[5]Oct 4, 2007
    • level: 6
    This "shaky" camera crap is getting really old, People are setting closer to big screens in HD, and do not need headaches and to be dizzy... I really hate it when great shows think they have to use "cool" high tech video editing, I am a modern computer tech and still think it is dumb......

MurraytheSkull

[6]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 5
    gjvrieze wrote:
    This "shaky" camera crap is getting really old, People are setting closer to big screens in HD, and do not need headaches and to be dizzy... I really hate it when great shows think they have to use "cool" high tech video editing, I am a modern computer tech and still think it is dumb......

It actually couldn't be any less "high tech." It's just all filmed with handheld cams. That, coupled with the very sparse lighting, gives the show a very naturalistic look, and is used to draw the audience further into the story. It's meant to look like you're right there with the characters.

Personally, the camera work is one of my very favorite things about this amazing show.

mikenelson_7

[7]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    its called a P.O.V (point of view) camera shot, and its done mostly just to create the sense that your looking through someones eyes and extreme close-ups, though it is over used a bit, i still love the cinematography in this show.

gjvrieze

[8]Oct 6, 2007
    • level: 6
    I think that for the outdoor shots, like the town and footballs games the shaky camera work is more true to what they are trying to show, but to do it on all shots gets old, on close-ups and scene's with people intimately talking should be shoot very carefully.... Also the "grainy" old look of the video itself, is kind of a waste. I just do not get why people want to make modern video look old, we have plenty of old documentary's in low quality, and it took us 50-75yrs to get to the HD of 2000's.... My favorite writer/creator Arron Sorkin, like to use this style too, so this show is not alone......

meee223

[9]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 8
    Did anyone notice that sometimes the camera shots somehow don't capture the actor's image? During the pool scene at the beginning, Julie was talking and all you saw while watching was air. The camera didn't even show Julie's face! Then there was another scene with the coach and his wife sitting at a table and during a moment during the conversation, the screen we the viewers are looking out didn't pan out far enough to get these two people in!! What the heck is this? This didn't happen during the first season. It's pretty annoying and I don't understand why they do this.

kopeckee

[10]Oct 20, 2007
    • level: 20
    Friday Night Lights' is heavy on freedom >Friday Night Lights" uses a documentary style to give the series a you-are-there feeling. Actors are filmed on the run, from angles they can't possibly anticipate, while occasionally delivering lines that may have popped into their heads only moments before. That's at least half the fun for cast members Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler. "I love to talk about the style that we use because it's so unique and as actors it's been, oh, such a gift," said Britton, who plays guidance counselor (and coach's wife) Tami Taylor. "It creates so much freedom for us. We go in, there are four cameras rolling all the time. The cameras are always moving to different locations, always, so the cameras are moving just as much as we are," she said. "I call them the snipers, the people holding our cameras," said Chandler, who plays football coach Eric Taylor http://www.nynews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/ENTERTAINMENT/710190323

Ellen416

[11]Oct 25, 2007
    • level: 9
    I think the show is beautifully filmed -- there is something just transporting about the camera work, the lighting, the shots of the locations/sets . . . really very wonderful

mishelly888

[12]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 5
    I absolutely love the camera work. They don't need to change a thing. It definitely gives the show a different feel and that's one of the reasons why I tune in to the show every week - its originality.

rozy975

[13]Oct 26, 2007
    • level: 12

Documentary stylecamera work is the charm of this great show. I just love it.