Friday Night Lights Forums

The 101 (ended 2011)

The Greater TV Show - One Tree Hill or Friday Night Lights?

Wich is the better show?

AgentBauer101

[1]Mar 28, 2008
    • level: 9

Hey guys,

Just wandering which of these 2 great shows everyone prefered. I am more familiar with OTH but have recently started watching FNL and have to say that so far I think the first season of FNL is better than the first season of OTH.

Both are very compelling dramas centered around basketball (OTH) and football (FNL).

To have an even opinion I have created this same thread on the OTH forum.

Cast your votes and discuss what you like/dislike about these 2 shows!

Thankyou.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DreamCruise

[2]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 13
    Well, no disrespect meant, but comparing these two shows is like comparing a Gremlin to a Cadillac, or Halloween to The Godfather. There are a thousand cheap, poorly made cars and movies out there, and both last about fifteen minutes. Once in a while you find a gem, and it lasts for a lifetime, and that would be Friday Night Lights. Superior in its premise, writing, directing, etc. All ages can watch it and see themselves in it, and learn something from it. It's so true to life it's scary. I've watched One Tree Hill and I don't hate it, but let's just say I never in my wildest imagination would even consider comparing the two. Actually, I don't think I could compare FNL to any show, it's that good. Again, no disrespect to you at all, and thanks for asking, it's fun to discuss this stuff.
    Edited on 03/29/2008 5:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Swink17

[3]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 14
    Again, no disrespect to OTH fans, but Friday Night Lights is an extremely superior show. In every way possible. OTH is a soap opera. Primetime soap. And I hate it. Friday Night Lights is a primetime tv-drama. Not comperable.

lovethatTAR

[4]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 6
    Well, of course I'm going to say Friday Night Lights, hands down. But what do you expect on a FNL board? If you go and ask this question on a OTH board, you're going to have fans say their show is greater. Unless you have a neutral board, there shouldn't be too much of a question which show fans like more.

bouges13

[5]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 19

Without question, FNL.. easily.

Calfkiller

[6]Apr 1, 2008

Why even pose this question. Without a doubt Friday Night Lights beats One Tree Hill down. It has more compelling characters, the acting is in a completely different league and the sports action more realistic and intense. One Tree Hill is more light drama than Friday Night Lights heavy style.

While on paper both shows seem similiar, following the lives of two teams and the people around them. But both shows are markedly different.

Friday Night Lights simply blows One Tree Hill out of the water in virtually every respect.

DreamCruise

[7]Apr 1, 2008
    Calfkiller wrote:

Friday Night Lights simply blows One Tree Hill out of the water in virtually every respect.

It blows a lot of shows out of the water. I really don't understand why more people don't give it a try, or if they have, what didn't they like about it? Maybe they are too hooked on reality crap and can't sit still to watch a show like FNL, one that captures the tiniest hints of emotion on someone's face, or the smallest of gestures that mean everything to another. It's far more real than any reality show could hope to be.

The_Beekeeper

[8]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 10
    I laughed when I saw this thread. There is no comparison. Friday Night Lights is better in every single way I can think of.

krisi1021

[9]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 11

I have to agree, it's pretty ridiculous to ask such a question on the FNL boards, and expect a neutral frame of mind.

From someone who loves both shows ...
    I don't think these two are comparable. While they both deal with highschool, and sports ... they entire technique of each series is different.
    For starters, OTH is no longer focused on basketball. It's moved up, and the characters have aged.
    OTH has proved to be a great show ... I mean, it's on it's 5th season, going into it's 6th.
    FNL is struggling with getting a season renewal at the moment, although it's looking very good, thank God!
    FNL brings in roughly 6 millions viewers, while OTH brings in roughly half of that.
    Yet, ratings shouldn't mean squat, considering they are on two entirely different networks.
    CW doesn't broadcast to as large of a viewing area as NBC does.
    FNL I HATED when I tried watching the first season ... yet I LOVE it now.
    OTH I have loved since the beginning.

Both are very good shows, with very talented actors. The storylines are similar ... I mean, it's all been done in every series, so there's no way to say they have "unique" storylines. Everything is a repeat somehow.

Basically, I love both shows, and I'm glad to have another season of both. Personally, I can't see that the two shows are even comparable, regardless of being originated around a certain sport.
    Overall, I'm going to continue to tune into both until I lose interest.

wcrapkin

[10]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 1

You can't compare OTH to Friday Night Lights. OTH is light escapist fare in the same vein as Melrose Place and Beverly Hills 90210.

Currently Friday Night Lights is arguably a top-tier drama in the same league as critically acclaimed quality shows like Rescue Me and Damages, along with The Shield, Mad Men, Lost, Greys Anatomy, and Mad Men. Even the creators of One Tree Hill would say that their goal is just to be a fun entertaining soap, while FNL aims to be a compelling character-driven drama ala Lost and Greys.

domino87

[11]Apr 2, 2008
    The Wire, No Doubt

Swink17

[12]Apr 3, 2008

domino87 wrote:
    The Wire, No Doubt

Ahahahah!! The Wire is undeniably the best show ever to grace the TV screen. Ever. In the history of TV. Best. Show. Ever.

Although, I find The Wire and Friday Night Lights to be somewhat similiar, yet worlds apart from one another. The Wire is a show set in 'big america', Baltimore, and it is about drug trade, FNL is set in 'small america', Dillon, and it deals with highschool football. Yet both of them approach their theme with such honesty and truth and emotions that make them what they trully are. I think The Wire will not be matched, quality-wise, for a very long time, but I love Friday Night Lights. It is one of the best shows on TV right now.

Calfkiller

[13]Apr 3, 2008

domino87 wrote:
    The Wire, No Doubt

It's funny, but I feel that The Wire and Friday Night Light's share the same kind of spirit. Both shows are renowned for their realism and quality. Both are recognised by critics and fans alike as being top of their respective fields and also for being criminally overlooked by the mainstream.

With The Wire finished its run now, and with Friday Night Lights getting a renewal for a 3rd season, maybe its time that some Wire fans turned their attention to this gem of a show.

Also, The Wire would kick One Tree Hill's arse without breaking a sweat.

Swink17

[14]Apr 3, 2008
    It's funny to even see OTH and FNL in the same sentence. Actually, not funny, but insulting for FNL.

nicmar19422

[15]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 7
    domino87 wrote:
    The Wire, No Doubt

yes the greatest show in the history of television but I digress, comparing Friday Night Lights to One Tree Hill is just silly one is a teen meladrama Friday Night Lights is a complelling look at small town America with fooball used a metaphore so I just don't see the comparsion

DreamCruise

[16]Apr 3, 2008
    Swink17 wrote:
    It's funny to even see OTH and FNL in the same sentence. Actually, not funny, but insulting for FNL.
    I know, it really is. And I'd love to see The Wire but I do not have Showtime, or HBO, I forget which one it's on........anyway, I should rent it ......

lovethatTAR

[17]Apr 3, 2008
    • level: 6
    It's HBO...but I've never seen it. I really want to, though...seems like a very intriging series!

JagsFan1

[18]Apr 5, 2008
    Well I Dont Watch OTH Ive Seen Clips And Scenes But Not Enough To Compare To Another Show That I Watch On A Regular Basis, So Easily I Would Pick FNL

domino87

[19]Apr 14, 2008
    Swink17 wrote:

Ahahahah!! The Wire is undeniably the best show ever to grace the TV screen. Ever. In the history of TV. Best. Show. Ever.

Although, I find The Wire and Friday Night Lights to be somewhat similiar, yet worlds apart from one another. The Wire is a show set in 'big america', Baltimore, and it is about drug trade, FNL is set in 'small america', Dillon, and it deals with highschool football. Yet both of them approach their theme with such honesty and truth and emotions that make them what they trully are. I think The Wire will not be matched, quality-wise, for a very long time, but I love Friday Night Lights. It is one of the best shows on TV right now.

Yeah I agree with you on all that. Plus both show's have/had the best young adult actors on TV today.

Kadodian

[20]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 23
    Two very different shows but I have to go with One Tree Hill.