Friday Night Lights

Full Hearts

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Dec 05, 2006 on The 101

• Matt takes Julie out on a Date, and the Dillon Panthers face Gatling High.

A tearjerker of an episode: Watching Matt have to coax his grandmother out of a closet by imitating his Grandfather, in FRONT of Julie during a botched date could force even a heart of stone to break down into tears. A truly devastating scene that was beautifully done. Smash\'s plight is also devasting to watch, as we see him sink lower and lower, and begin to see his friends and Coach Taylor notice that something is wrong. Smash\'s family struggles are also well done in this episode, and flesh him out as well, and starts to tie together a recurring theme of fathers and children (Coach Taylor, Saracen, Buddy Garrity)

Buddy Garrity also becomes more fleshed out in this episode, while the Mayor remains as annoying as ever. I also find Lyla annoying as hell, as well as being irked because she doesn\'t seem to have an accent in a town where EVERYONE else does. Finally, the could-be-cliche kiss at the end of the episode is made original by Julie\'s shocked reaction, and then the shots of Tami\'s reaction. Tami has quickly become my favorite character in the show.

And lest I forget, THE FOOTBALL ROCKS! Something to look forward to every episode, IMO.
LONG