Friday Night Lights

I Think We Should Have Sex

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 21, 2007 on The 101

• Julie and Matt contemplate doing the deed. The Taylors react accordingly. Buddy's affair comes to light.

Julie and Matt became official in the last episode. Now Julie has decided that they should have sex. Matt agrees, but as he proves later in the episode why he is the only football player to ever turn her head. The leg wrestling thing was very sweet and they seemed like the good kids that they are. I liked the interactions between Eric and Tami. Both were justified in their thinking. I like that they struggle and disagree, but manage to find their way back to each other. It's what adults do. Buddy gets busted. Saw that one coming from a mile away. It will be interesting to see how Lyla deals with given how she expected Jason to forgive her. Granted they weren't married, but her dad was there. I also think it should prove very amusing to have Buddy on the Taylors' couch.
  • Great interaction with the kids and parents of Friday Night Lights...

This episode was fantastic in the beginning and ended even better. From seeing that Julie is so naive about sex saying that its just one body part going to another. And Tami being as patient as ever to understand her daughter. Very touching to hear her have the "sex talk" with Julie was great. I would love to have her kind of patience. I love it when Tami and Coach Taylor discuss their daughter. And with her telling him that they both have the same amount of parenting skills between each other and him apologizing for loosing it when their daughter "lied" about where she was. Great connection between the two. Loved that they stayed up all night sitting on the couch quietly waiting for her to show up. Such dedication towards their daughter.

With Tim and his dad, who unfortunately feels that his son is a drinking partner and then steal from his son's team because he wasnt welcome at a practice.

Seeing Matt and Julie decide on not having sex was perfect. Most kids feel that way, and it was refreshing to see it played out that way. First times should be planned out, but not forced. Great episode all around.

Now with Jason. I think he is becoming very independent and maynot need to lean on Lyla as much as he thinks he does.
  • This would be the "sex-talk" episode of the series.

Poor Tim, he has his father in his life again and he ends up falling off the wagon. He's drinking. His dad steals a camera and he defends him to Coach Taylor only to find out later that his dad really did steal it. After asking his father to leave he tries to prove that he doesn't need his father to protect him and shows up at the pool hall to fight his own battles and gets beat up pretty badly. Tyra's mom and Buddy had an affair, as predicted and he fires her. She was more upset about losing the job then anything else and embarrasses him in front of everyone at church. (the clips for next week's episode look great) Jason is in Austin and he meets a new girl and he's about to get a tattoo (I'm sure he'll have fun explaining that to Lyla). BUT the episode was really about Matt and Julie. Julie's is willing to have sex but she's emotionless and very nonchalant about it, while Matt is nervous and emotional about it. Tyra of all people tells Julie that she doesn't have to do it if she doesn't want to but Julie is determined because she doesn't understand what the big deal is. Julie's mom freaks out but still handles herself well, Coach Taylor just gets upset like any father would but he is pushed into the background as Tami and Julie basically deal with the situation. In the end they do not have sex. It is a mutual decision to wait and it ends with Matt and Julie confessing their love for each other.
PIVOT