Friday Night Lights

In the Skin of a Lion

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 11, 2009 on The 101

• Coach finds himself in dire financial straits.

I love what the show is doing with the East Dillon Lions. While the Dillon Panthers have slowly become this massive black hole sucking everything into it, the East Dillon Lions are the epitome of underdogs, and unlike the previous three seasons, where we found the team coming back from deficits over and over again, this time, the only thing worth celebrating for them is a single touchdown in the final moments of the team. In a way, a loss is the norm now. We're watching the team play for the little wins, the touchdowns, the interceptions, the moments that remind them they have talent.

There was a bit more focus here on the new players: Luke Cafferty and Vince. Both are talented and both are upset. It's one thing when you have a team full of talent but when that team has no chemistry, you're going to do horribly. I'm looking forward to seeing if Coach can get his team focused and pick up some wins.

There was other stuff going on here that I wasn't nearly as interested in. I'm not sure why, but some of the characters I was truly invested in last season aren't compelling me nearly as much. One example is Landry and his new friend Jess. There's a lot of potential there, mostly based on their scene together where they practice punting. But right now, I'm mentally putting it on the backburners. Same with Saracen. With Saracen off the team and graduated, it's harder to feel as invested in his art career. Unless the arc takes a drastic turn, I'll be a bit disappointed in this one. And while this new relationship between Riggins and Becky is intriguing, it doesn't have a lot relevance right now. I like Tim more as an employee of Riggins' Rigs or as assistant coach of the Lions, not "eye candy for Becky."

However, there were two great scenes here that made me take notice. We had a superb scene where Buddy Garrity finally flips out on Joe McCoy and the rest of the boosters and leaves them for good. Leland does a great job here (and the writers seem to have been building up to this moment for awhile). We also have Coach making a potentially huge decision to use his own money to buy the Lions' uniforms. Sure, the team is happy, but at what expense?

LONG