Friday Night Lights

Keeping Up Appearances

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 12, 2008 on The 101

• Landry tries to get closer to Devon, tensions rise between Coach, J.D and J.D's father.

One thing I've throughout the three seasons of Friday Night Lights I've seen so far: why is Brad Leland not a main cast member? He's in the show as much as any of the people in the opening credits and while he can be a bit irritating in terms of always thinking about football, he can also be a good family man who makes a few mistakes here and there and a great character for others to interact with. At one point, I thought he would be a roadblock for the Taylor's, but he's more or less a simple irritation.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying that Leland was great in this episode. He's been divorced from his wife since Season 1 and for the first time since his wife got remarried and moved away, his younger kids returned home to visit. But they've been "brain-washed" by the organic guy Kevin and as a result, there's a huge disconnect between what he wants them to act like and what they act like. His tantrum over the fact that his younger kids don't eat meat anymore is a great character moment.

The "Jason Street sells a house" arc continues along and thankfully comes to an end here. I never hated it, I just wanted Jason Street to get a better ending and the writers give that to us in the form of "Jason being an agent in New York." It's a smart and realistic way for him to leave the show and also provide money for his kid. I also really liked the "college tape" that Jason made for Tim. It reinforced how close these two were, something that hasn't been around as much since Season 1.

After getting an overload of Saracen for the last six episodes (something I would never complain about), we get some more focus on other football players, both people that Coach Taylor and Tami take an interest in. Ever since Tami stated earlier in the season that Coach is a "molder of men," it seems the writers have been showing this more and more. First off, it seems that J.D McCoy is being sculpted by the writers to be apermanentandrelatablecharacter for the season. I've grown to like him more now that I've had a chance to get used to Matt being benched, and what I like most about it is that I'm still expecting a huge blow-out between Coach and J.D's father. It's only a matter of time. before they explode at each other.

Landry has some other stuff going on, including trying to get over Tyra. It's not exactly high-stakes stuff, but it's fun nonetheless. Another good episode.

PIVOT