Friday Night Lights

Last Days of Summer

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 05, 2007 on The 101

• By the far the worst episode of this excellent drama. Unbelievable, totally out of character and steeped in melodrama.

By the far the worst episode of this excellent drama. The first season was a superb display of the importance of sport to a small Texan town. Unlike other teen focused dramas, it wasn't based on unbelievable story lines and melodrama. The characters were interesting, well developed and diverse. It was also very intriguing to see a show not set in California. Yet the opener of season 2 is a huge disappointment. The situation with Matt and Julie is rather pointless and irritating. It seems completely out of character for Julie to be interested in the 'Swede'. As for Leyla, the revelation that she has become a born-again Christian whilst we were gone is bizarre. If the writers wanted her to go down this path surely they would have shown it develop on screen. It was incredible, literally. Finally, the events surrounding Tyra and Landrieu are those usually found in a C-grade teen flick. One positive is that it has retained the charming wit present in the first season.
    Yet overall, one can only hope this episode isn't indicative of the entire season.
  • Season 2 premiere

I flew through the first season of Friday Night Lights on Netflix in about five days, so I didn't exactly have time to slow down and review each episode as it came up. But overall, I have to say it was one of the more satisfying seasons of television I've watched recently. There were some issues, sure, but most shows have issues. Overall, the quality was excellent. Great acting, nice, subtle writing that never went too far over the top and plenty of balance between football scenes and character development. I really felt like I enjoyed every character, even the more irritating ones.

I'm a bit disappointed in this season premiere. It's been about four years since this season premiered, so I'm sure everybody already has voiced their opinion on the whole "Landry kills Tyra's attempted rapist" plotline, but having just watched it for the first time now, I can finally give my opinion. I think that the show made a huge misstep in having Landry do that. They could've figured out a way to have a good story to tell without that. But now that we're in it, we're forced to watch as the two hide a secret from everybody for God knows how long.

Besides that plotline, everything else was enjoyable. I still love the chemistry between Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton on this show. The scenes with them, where Coach Taylor tells her that he's going to leave her a week early to return to Austin was heart-breaking, and watching Matt Sarason continually get pushed aside by Julie so she can hang out with her new lifeguard friend was a subtly sad moment.

I also like the idea of this new coach, someone who doesn't take crap and certainly doesn't see his players as a part of a community. In his eyes, he's the coach and they're supposed to follow his every order. Jason Street, who is still the QB coach, is forced to follow his orders, even after watching him make Riggins exercise so much that he pukes.

Right now, all the pieces are in place for a great season. I just don't know how the show will be able to balance them all out this time.

• A good start with a big surprise

The episode started nice and fresh, with the team lounging around the town's pool about 8 months from their state win. This is quickly followed by Tami (who was also at the pool) giving birth (at hospital!) and so the return of the famous Dillon coach Eric Taylor.

We find out during the episode that Julie has become ... well very slightly odd, in that her relationship with Saracen is somewhat unclear and that she's flirting with 'The Swede' who also works ... at the pool.

However the big shock of the episode was surely Landry's apparent accidental killing of Tyra's stalker. A very big surprise, and a very big change to the sort of episodes we have been used to watching. I found it a little bit too much, and their reaction was infuriating at best. Why does no-one ever call the police?! Obviously this storyline will play a major part for the show.

On reflection I suppose it was a good move. Another series of football specific incidents might have meant the show going a bit stale so more non-football incidents could be the right idea.

Aside from that it was disappointing that there was not really much of Smash, Riggins or Jason. And what was with Layla's rebirth?! That seemed very random, although her table antics were amusing!

Oh I just remembered the scene were Tami and the coach are talking about him having to return to Austin. That was very moving - great acting by Connie Britton!

Good start. Lets hope the stories develop.
  • Eight months after winning state, relationships are strained. Julie is flirting with a co-worker, while Matt sits idly by, the distance is hitting Tami & Eric hard, Lyla is alienating all with her beliefs, and Tyra and Landry are growing closer.

I thought this was a great episode because despite the eight month fast forward, we were able to conceive two very opposite things, somethings change and somethings remain the same. The changes;

Eric is no longer a fixture in Dillon.
    Tami is ready to pop.
    Julie is no longer interested in Matt.
    Lyla found god, and a snippy new attitude.
    Landry is trying out for the team.
    The new Coach kicks Buddy out of practice. (Which was like one of my favorite moments.)
    Smash is now the standalone team captain.
    Jason is torn between his role as a coach and as a friend.

The things that remain the same.

Landry is still pining for Tyra.
    Matt still has no idea what is going on.
    Matt's Grandma still gets excited to see Coach Taylor.
    Smash is still the Smash.
    Riggins still has a way with the ladies.
    There is still someone after Tyra.

And that last one brings us to this episode's shocker, I got to say I am a bit confused by this, but I feel like at FNL they how to bring you on board with the unexpected twists and turns.

I have some predictions...

The new coach obviously doesn't mesh with the boosters and the team, I give him four episodes (like two games) before Eric is back.

Julie and Matt are over for now, she is going to break his heart. Matt will meet someone new and this Swede is going to make Julie feel she will have to grow up too fast.

Lyla and Riggins are nowhere close to being over.

By November we will all know what Tyra and Landry did, and the reaction won't be good.

Some questions;

Where is Waverly?
    Where is Jackie and Bo?
    Is Herc still in China?
    Did Matt and Julie eventually take things to the next level?

Guess we will have to wait and see.
  • Lyla becomes born again Christian... she seems like the type. Julie drops Matt Landry and Tyra kill her stalker Tami has her baby Eric deals with coming home to his family

Yeah, I'll agree with what everyone here is saying... a lot of it seems unrealistic, especially the dilemma that they put Tyra and Landry through. A lot of people are saying how they were really unreasonable for not just calling the cops. Yeah, it's illogical and what they did was definitely a stupid move, but there is a reason for it. People are forgetting about a certain complex that Tyra has. Last season, Tyra almost got attacked by that same guy, he almost raped her but she refused to call the cops. This is typical of many girls who are sexually molested; they cannot bear to let anyone know what happened to them and thus a lot of times the sex offender gets away with it because the girl is too ashamed to call the cops. Tyra is an example of this. Tyra's family's reputation is already blemished... her sister is a stripper, her mom had an affair with Bud Garrity... and Tyra herself is known as the school slut. And also, they're teenagers who are in the midst of a crisis, they're not experienced enough to be able to be level-headed in situations like these. And maybe Landry shouldn't have listened to her... perhaps he didn't. But he isn't known to be such a bright kid either, as we've seen last season when her got into a fight with one of the football players. So yeah, what they did wasn't reasonable or very smart, but it's not just a mere plot twist the creators have thrown out there. There's reason and depth behind it. As for Julie... it's just weird to see this transition in her. Last season she was so adamant to stay in Dillon just because of Matt and now she's dropped him like a sack of potatoes... well a lot can happen in eight months. So the season might be off to a shaky start but last season was so stellar... that I have faith in this series that it will pick up. And either way, I'm sure the dynamic between Landry and Tyra will surely intensify and that's something I can't miss.
  • Not at the top of their game.

I am a huge fan of this show and completely fell in love with it watching reruns over the summer, but I was not very into this first episode back into the second season. I did like some of the football-related stuff as well as the stuff within the Taylor family. There is a moment between Eric and his daughter Julie where she opens up to him about her relationship with Matt and about her crush on an older co-worker that was really moving. But I found the scenes with Lyla, who has just become a born-again Christian, completely unbelievable. So were some of the scenes with Tyra and Landry after he defends her against the stalker who tried to rape her last season and winds up killing the guy. I find it hard to believe that they would try to cover it up rather than just calling the police, but I am sure it is being used as a device to bring the two of them closer together. I think they could have done this without creating this falsely toned melodrama, but I will give them a chance to hopefully execute it well in the aftermath. I do still plan to watch the show and hope that it will return to it's more honest and refreshing tone from the first season so that more people will tune in.
  • This is a very special episode...

This episode is very special , dont miss it .
    Friday night lights is up to another kind of high school drama, i like it! For example : When Landry Clarke and Tyra Collette accidentally killes the man they showed us a situation full of chaos and dramatic decisions that in another teen drama we won't experience the fact of it .
    i think it will get better next episodes...and i wish they could put a better soundtrack! most of the tracks are boring and sometimes they dont make it connected to the scene, i think they could do it better.
  • The season starts off with more storylines than any other show on TV.

The dramatic realism of this show is what caught the attention of most of its audience. Here we get an example of how this can make for exciting television and call into question where a line should be drawn between that and melodrama.

Dramatic realistic events like the tensions in the Taylor household are convincing by themselves. It's only when Eric leaves his newborn baby after on a few days, Tyra is confronted again by here would-be attacker, Matt's relationship falling apart and Landry's actions in the parking lot ALL come together and happen in the same week, that we begin to compare this show to a melodrama. This episode really set up a lot of storylines and it's hard to judge where they are all going this early in the game. Remember, last season's premiere featured an extremely traumatic event - Jason Street rendered paralyzed after he was built up as the top high school quarterback in the state. Last season also presented storylines that made the show look stereotypical - Coach Mac McGill's racial comments, Smash using performance enhancing drugs. But all of these stories were told and wrapped up in a very satisfying and almost compelling way by the writers. So I am willing to give these plotlines a chance as well.

That being said, the character development that occurred in the last 8 months is important to note. Lyla Garrity has become a super hypocritical born again christian in an attempt to salvage her life and reputation after her family's actions and her own. Buddy is getting pushed around more than he would like as he is kicked out of his own home and the new Dillon Coach won't let him sit in on practices. The Taylors have all grown apart from one another. Eric's absence seems to not only affect his relationships but has also altered that between his wife and daughter. We get hardly any focus on Riggins and Smash barely even got screen time. Of course, the Landry/Tyra story arc will have to continue for several episodes. I didn't really like them bringing this story back to begin with since it just seemed recycled but I doubt they would have done so if the writers didn't have a long-term plan. Since Landry's dad is a cop, he will probably become a more important character. This episode is flawed only in the sense that it presents an overwhelming amount of drama and shocking twists. Most of this, I never saw coming, and when I'm watching tv to be entertained, that's a good thing. But now that they've caught me off guard once, it will be hard to do so again. So to keep from crossing that line, the dramatic effects of this episode will need to linger for the next several weeks without much further complication. It's hard to judge a premiere like this one by itself but based on previous work that has been done on the series, it may be a set up for something really good.
  • a great beginning to a new season.

What a great show. I hate the new coach though. what an **** Coach Taylor needs to come back to his old job. For the team, and especially for his family. Julie has turned into a **** She kind of made up for it at the end though. Tara has got herself in trouble as usual, and now she taking down Landry with her. I don't think Landry is going to be able to stay hush hush about the incident. He's not that way. He's an honest kid and he will end up turning himself in. It's sad but true. This might be better than the first season, and that would be hard to do.
  • A great beginning to the season despite the comments against Tyra/Landry.

Although the discussion of this episode on the forum talks about the show becoming "emo," I completely disagree. I love this show and will give it a chance to do great things even with a storyline that seems a bit different from the usual realism of the show.
    I continue to love the Matt/Landry dynamic, especially when Landry called him to try to get advice about how to put his arm around Tyra. I don't completely understand Julie's fear that she and Matt will turn into her parents, but I do understand that she is not ready to be tied to only one boy and she is confused because she is still quite young. Lyla seemed like a complete witch for someone who is supposed to have become a Christian recently. Although the things Tim said to her seemed uncalled for, I would not mind them having a relationship. The most affecting performance came from Connie Britton as Tami Taylor, when her husband had to leave her when she just had her baby. The fact that she was trying so hard to remain contained in her emotions made her pain so much more wrenching. The conversation between Coach Taylor and Julie in the car was moving because he wanted to emphasize how much he still loved her. I also thought it was interesting when Julie was watching her parents with baby Grace, and they didn't look up at her for quite a while. Finally, Matt's comments to Julie in the grocery store about how he did not want to lose her were heartbreaking because he is still trying to hold on. Clearly she seems to have been distancing herself from him, but he is not ready to stop fighting yet.
  • Good intro to season 2

I enjoyed this episode very much. I like the way it's not ALL about football anymore. Julie has a much bigger role now which is cool, and they now have a new baby girl. I'm not sure how much I like the new coach, but we shall see as the series progresses. I enjoyed the first season very much and this episode didn't disappoint me at all. I hope the new season stays this good. I feel like I'm back in high school, counting words on my essay. I'm forced to have 100 words even though I'm done with my review. I liked this show very much/ The camera angles are a bit jerky, but I can get past that for the great acting and story lines.
  • so much happened in such little time

7.7
    within the 1st excerpt before the theme song, there was already a baby in the world, tension between julie and matt, landry goin for Tyra, and Tim and smash partying. Lyla takes a complete different path which is both exciting and surprising. Coach has a lot of tension with his family and leaves town. Tyra's rapist is back and Landry ends up killing him, which is shocking. Landry is also trying to buff up and be on the football team, so his dad will respect him.

i think that this episode may have put in too much new material and forgot about the old stuff. there was nothing about Waverly or Riggin's neighbors. it is ok to not go into that so much in this season, but they need to ensure viewers that it is over between them.
  • I will say that headed into the second season, I was kind of worried. The show was brilliant last year and I wondered if the show could continue that brilliance into a second season. Or would it be just a one-season wonder?

I was excited to hear that the ratings services are finally going to start counting the numbers of time-delayed shows in the final ratings. Hopefully that will help Friday Night Lights as it moved to the night in the title of the show. Because, let's face it, this could be one of the most time-delayed shows on television.

Now, I'll admit I saw the season premiere a few weeks ago thanks to the streaming video on Yahoo. But I still watched it again last night out of solidarity to the show. I'm not a ratings family, but if I was, this show would be number one.

Well, with the exception of one plotline, so far so good.

Let's just get that plotline out of the way first. Now, I'm all for the potential of a Landry, Tyra relationship. And up until about the last five minutes of the episode, I was loving every minute of it. The confusion on Landry's part about putting the lotion on Tyra's back and calling Matt to see if and how he should make a move while watching Fried Green Tomatoes with Tyra...every last part of that was great. But what didn't work was the plotline of her attacker from last season stalking her and then attacking her again outside the convenience store. I think this is a place where the eight month gap didn't work in the show's favor because it seemed like this came out of left-field a bit and was put in to get us to the melodramatic moment that happened at the end. When Landry attacked the guy and ended up killing him, I will admit I rolled by eyes a bit. That seemed a bit melodramatic for a show that has been so grounded in reality and realistic situations until now. I'm willing to cut the show a lot of slack to see where this revelation might take things, but right now it's got me kind of worried.

But beyond that, it was all good. I won't even get into the nitpicking that some players should have graduated by now, based on what I thought we established last year as to age-ranges. Instead, I'll look at what was good.

I have a feeling there was a lot of things being set-up here for this season to explore. Lyla's new found religion (her pious prayer before dinner was a riot), the potential rift between Julie and Matt and how the town reacts to the new football coach. It's interesting to go back and watch the pilot from last year and hear how the town seemed to be reacting to the new coach in much the same way, though Eric Taylor went out of his way to shake some hands and win over the goodwill of the community. So far, the new guy seems to be alienating everyone, including Buddy Garrity. Banning Buddy from practice and calling out Street for being friends with Riggins..not exactly Eric Taylor territory. I have a feeling that should the team lose, the new coach will be called under scrutiny faster than Eric Taylor was...and let's face it, Eric is now a legend in the town. Having won the state championship and left to follow his dream, he's now the stuff of legend. It should be interesting to see how the new coach tries to measure up to the legend of Eric Taylor, who in a few weeks will be parting the Red Sea and walking on water in the town's estimation.

Meanwhile, things aren't well in the Taylor home. Eric's been MIA for eight months and the strain of it is showing. Tammy doesn't take the news well that Eric has to go back to Austin sooner than expected after the birth of baby Grace. The scene between the two as Eric tells her and Tammy breaks down...it just shows you what a crime it was this show got no Emmy nods. Just give them the Emmy for that scene alone...brilliant. And these two can say more in a look than some actors can say with minutes of dialogue . But, back to my point.

We also see the strain Eric's being gone has put on the family in terms of Julie. Again, I will say it--the father/daughter relationship between Eric and Julie is one of the best on TV. It should be interesting to see how Julie will react to the new baby and the fact that she's no longer the only "daddy's little girl" in the Taylor house.

I did find it interesting the parallels the show gave us between Eric and Buddy. We see two men, both of whom love football. Seeing how high a priority these two place on it in their lives is fascinating and it's interesting that when Eric needs a place to escape after disappointing Tammy, he goes to see Buddy.

So, Friday Night Lights is back...and except for one small misstep, I'm very, very pleased with where season two has started. I can't wait to see how the rest of the season unfolds.
  • What happened to this amazing show?

4.5
    It looks like the fight for viewers has turned FNL from greatness to mediocre soap opera tripe. It's disappointing, because critics were backing it, and I was ready for more of the same goodness that is FNL...Too bad it only lasted about halfway through the first ep. I mean, come one, do you really think that would happen? Would they really be that stupid to think they'd get away with it. It was self defense, and they're lack of logic couldn't be explained by a 3rd grader, let alone high schoolers. Stupid and disappointing. Hopefully it gets better.
  • Where is this going?

6.7
    I was a huge fan of season one last year. It was one of the best shows on. I just finished this episode to start season 2 and I am dumbfounded. This episode was all over the map with not much at all tying last year into season 2. There is a big gap missing. I know this show is not all about football but the new coach played a less than minor roll. Where is Smashs' girlfriend, or if she is not his girlfriend anymore what happened to her. Why is Matt and Coach Taylors daughter on the way out??? Does Riggins still have his neighbors?? I have to say I am disappointed in this beginning to season 2. If you are going to end different plots at least put closure on them. I hope the next few weeks get better.
  • Thank you, NBC, for reminding my why I never want to get invested in this series.

Friends have been urging me to get into FNL since the day it started. Well, when the series 2 premiere got put up early, I was bored one day and figured...what the hell? I'll give it a shot. It's not like I have to worry about being spoiled, seeing as how I'm inundated with info about each episode as soon as it airs.

First off, it was horribly rushed. We get about thirty seconds to get used to the idea of Mrs. Coach looking ready to pop, and the awkwardness that it's causing Julie (who, by the way, is the worst. lifeguard. EVER. I'm sorry, but the former lifeguard inside of me cringed as she leaps down out of her chair without warning to lecture her mother. Sorry kid, I meant to save you from drowning...but I was too busy trying to save my social life.) Then all of the sudden, BAM! The baby's born. Um.....ok. They just blew past alot of potentially good material right there.

Julie all of the sudden being into this other guy was so out of left field. I don't think that the writers have fully decided whether they want her to be the sweet girl-next-door, or the sarcastic been-there-done-that type. And going into the second season, that's kind of the stuff that you should have a handle on by now. The general concept of what they wanted to do with her interest in another guy - have it be about wanting more in life and being scared of too much, too fast with Matt - works on paper, but Julie's tearful confession in the car was badly-written, full of horrible cliches and even worse acting. And again, it was so RUSHED. They tried to squeeze way too much into one episode.

Also? The sex talk between her and her mother makes me want to give her a good ol' smack.

Coach....what happened to Eric Taylor the family man? His wife has just popped out a kid and he's leaving town without a fight? Time to man up, put your foot down, and stay where you belong. I highly doubt that most any profession is going to argue with the fact that you have a newborn at homw. But it's just the fact that he sighs and goes along with it that bothers me the most.

And then, of course, there's the final scene. *Headdesk*. Let's ignore, for a moment, the ludicrous horror movie cliche of dumping the body even though it was clearly an accident and self-defense. But the direction that this sends the show is just....well, it's different, I suppose. But I highly doubt that it's what the creators originally intended. The show is about emotion and triumph over adversity and everyday struggles - even a non-fan such as myself can appreciate that. But this idea of spending every episode in "suspense" of 'OMG when will they find out?!' is just cheap thrills.

What does the episode get points for? Cinematography, as always. Tyra being completely awesome, as always. Landry being so painfully realistic in his less-than-smooth moves. Julie calling her dad out on his absentee parenting as of late. Connie Britton. Some hot shirtless guys in the pool.....and really, that's about it.

Sorry, FNL. You may appeal to the inner pre-teen in some of us, but I remain unimpressed.
PIVOT