Friday Night Lights

Last Days of Summer

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 05, 2007 on The 101

• A good start with a big surprise

The episode started nice and fresh, with the team lounging around the town's pool about 8 months from their state win. This is quickly followed by Tami (who was also at the pool) giving birth (at hospital!) and so the return of the famous Dillon coach Eric Taylor.

We find out during the episode that Julie has become ... well very slightly odd, in that her relationship with Saracen is somewhat unclear and that she's flirting with 'The Swede' who also works ... at the pool.

However the big shock of the episode was surely Landry's apparent accidental killing of Tyra's stalker. A very big surprise, and a very big change to the sort of episodes we have been used to watching. I found it a little bit too much, and their reaction was infuriating at best. Why does no-one ever call the police?! Obviously this storyline will play a major part for the show.

On reflection I suppose it was a good move. Another series of football specific incidents might have meant the show going a bit stale so more non-football incidents could be the right idea.

Aside from that it was disappointing that there was not really much of Smash, Riggins or Jason. And what was with Layla's rebirth?! That seemed very random, although her table antics were amusing!

Oh I just remembered the scene were Tami and the coach are talking about him having to return to Austin. That was very moving - great acting by Connie Britton!

Good start. Lets hope the stories develop.