Friday Night Lights

The Giving Tree

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Dec 10, 2008 on The 101

• Matt and Julie hook up and get caught while Tyra tries to make up her selfishness to Landry.

Buddy Garrity is a pretty complicated character. Sometimes, I'm drawn to his personality, especially when he's being the good guy, but most of the time, he can be an incredibly dimwitted individual. Case in point: this episode. Buddy took Lila's college-fund money and invested it in a risky scheme. It seems like a decision that not even a stupid person would make, but I believe it because the writers have established this character very well and I believe he would make a dumb choice like this with the mindset that it'll help in the long run.

Brad Leland did a great job here as usual, and it carried on into the rest of the stories too. Matt and Julie finally hook up and who else but Coach Taylor walks in on them. Kyle Chandler plays the scene well, doing everything without saying a word. Sometimes, Coach's face is enough to say a hundred words, so I love it when the writers give him scenes to chew on. Equally great was the scene between Connie Britton and Aimee Teegarden, where Tami was attempting to have "a conversation" with Julie about sex. It was a touching scene and completely evocative of those emotions parents feel when their kids are growing up and they can't do anything about it.

I've been harsh on the character of Tyra this season, if only because I loved the way her character developed since the beginning of the show, and I thought this season gave her a regression, mostly with the Cash arc. But now that he's gone, we get back to what makes her character stand out more: Landry. Despite how much breaking up and getting back together Landry and Tyra do, I think they're right for each other, and this episode was perfect proof. Landry's speech about the giving tree was right on, and Tyra getting Landry a gig was equally good. Let's hope we find them getting together by the end of the show or something.

It also seems like every episode finds me hating J.D's father more and more. I no longer have any qualms about Matt being benched in favor of J.D, mostly because this dynamic (J.D as quarterback and Matt as receiver) makes more sense. But J.D's father, as the mother said, is freakishly obsessed with J.D focusing on football. I hope he gets reamed out. I also hope that the assistant's coach win doesn't effect Coach Taylor. Coach was responsible for them even being close in the first place and just because the assistant coach made a few calls in the last thirty seconds doesn't make him responsible for the win. But we'll see what happens.

LONG