Friday Night Lights

The Son

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Dec 02, 2009 on The 101

• The funeral of Matt Saracen's dad

Why is Zach Gilford not in the main credits? This was his best episode yet as he attempts to fight through his feelings towards his father, and by the end, I actually felt as if I was there at the wake, listening to him tell stories about his dad and fight back grief. It was an amazing performance by Gilford, and as a result, everybody else stepped up.

Saracen goes through a lot in the episode, fighting off well-wishers who tell him his dad was brave, trying to hide his frustrations from Julie and Landry, breaking down at the Taylor's house as he tells their family he hates hating people and the terrifying moment (even though we don't see it) when Matt peeks into his dad's casket to see him. Gilford's eyes say it all. By the time we get to the end, when he gives the touching eulogy and then buries his own father, I was thinking, "I wouldn't care if this show was never about football." That's how good the performance was.

As I said before, it seems as if everybody else stepped up the plate and delivered some strong scenes. Matt Lauria continues to be my tentative vote for mid-season MVP. Sure, he hasn't gotten nearly the same amount of scenes that other characters have, but if there's something I like about him, it's his willingness to yell back at the cocky idiots on the Panthers who berate the Lions. The game at the beginning of the episode show Luke's willingness to put aside his differences with Vince, and despite the fact that they lost, it still helps that they got a couple of touchdowns in a row plus a forced fumble. Like I said in the previous review, it's not about winning anymore for this team... it's all about the little wins.

There's other stuff going on with Tim and Becky, but for the most part, I didn't care for that. I was focusing more on the other fantastic stuff going on. For instance, Aimee Teegarden also did a great job here. She's been under-used lately and I'm glad to see her in some good scenes with Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton. Also, Lyla returns, although for just a few seconds. I'm sure we'll have some other scenes with her next week.

• Matt comes to terms with his father's death while trying to prepare for his funeral.

This is one of the best episodes of the entire series. The writing and acting were pitch perfect and I'm not one to get teary eyed, but Zach Gilford had me pretty damn close. Not since "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" have I seen death treated in such a real and powerful way. The focus isn't so much on the deceased as it is on those who are left behind. More specifically, a son who had felt abandoned long before his father's death. There are even some political undertones about being in the army and how dangerous it is, even nowadays. In the end, it's Gilford's performance that drives this home. He goes through many stages of emotion (anger, regret, confusion, hopelessness) throughout the episode and he hits every note. Just another reminder why this is the best drama on television period.
  • Best episode of Season 4 so far.

This was an extremely impactful episode. I was in tears at the end. Even though Matt's father has been absent most of the series (serving in the military) and Matt seems disassociated from him, you can never underestimate the powerful impact parental relationships have, even when seemingly strained.

It was fun to see Lyla back in Dillon. The ongoing development of other characters and new relationships is also intriguing. Only FNL has been capable of eliciting this kind of emotion in me. It's like watching a first-rate movie every week. Acting is amazing, writing is amazing, show is amazing. It's hard to believe that a last-place network like NBC can't find a spot for it in its mediocre lineup until after its run on satellite.