Friday Night Lights

There Goes the Neighborhood

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 04, 2008 on The 101

• Painful to watch, but in the best possible way.

**Contains spoilers**

Finally, it felt like I was watching Friday Night Lights again. The first part of Season 2 has been below par, but episode 10 was back up to the high standard of Season 1. Not that it was comfortable to watch. If anything, it was almost painful at times, and here's why:

First, poor Buddy finding out that Pam is getting remarried. It was almost unwatchable as he begged her to come back to him, out on her doorstep, with the odious interloper lurking just inside and gleefully witnessing her rejection of Buddy's best sales pitch.

Second, the unfairness of the Laribee boys seemingly getting away with the pranks against their hosts (the ingratitude!). It was so frustrating watching Eric continue to be gracious toward them through gritted teeth, but very satisfying when he finally let the Laribee coach have it, though again, the inappropriateness of the two coaches fighting in front of the students, combined with Eric's loss of control, made the confrontation almost unbearable to watch.

Third, Julie's continued rudeness toward her, let's face it, awesome parents. It's awful watching her transformation as she was such a great kid in the first season.

And worst of all: the end-of-episode scenes with Tim rescuing Julie from the party and sweetly putting her to bed were absolutely cruel to the viewer, knowing as we do that nothing in Tim's life can ever end well, and that the writers would have to punish him for the earlier moments of unguarded and happy domesticity at the Taylors'. Who didn't love seeing him relaxed enough to tease Tami by pretending to take a beer out of the fridge, and his obvious delight at being able to please Tim by fixing the cable? So it felt like watching a car crash in excruciatingly slow motion as Eric inevitably came into Julie's room at just the wrong moment at the end, misinterpreted the scene and threw Tim out in betrayed rage. Poor Tim, alone once more. And having been on probation with Eric after his earlier infraction (abandoning the team to go and rescue Jason in Mexico), how is Tim ever going to earn back his trust, approval or - what he clearly craves (and needs) - his fatherly affection? It doesn't look good.

If I'm being really picky, in an excellent episode, the one or two downsides for me, were:

First, the absence of Jason and Lyla, though it perhaps wasn't surprising, as the writers don't seem sure what to do with their characters anymore, now that neither of them is involved in football - which, after all, is the lynchpin of this show. Lyla did have a brief and moving scene with her mother, finding out that her mother is engaged, and I have to commend Minka Kelly for conveying Lyla's shock, heartbreak and her determination not to spoil her mother's happiness by hiding her true feelings behind a cracked smile.

Secondly, I felt there was again rather too much focus on the peripheral characters of Tyra and Landry, which has been the case all season so far. They are both likeable, but their relationship just isn't believable, and the ridiculous manslaughter plotline they've been embroiled in, has not helped (although it did give us the chance to see some great father-son scenes between Landry and his dad, played sympathetically and conflictedly by Glenn Morshower).

Finally, please can they wrap up this business between Matt and Carlotta? Matt's home dynamic was so compelling in the first season and made him an interesting character that you rooted for, but again it seems as though the writers no longer know what to do with him.

Apart from those small complaints (hey, no show is ever going to give you exactly what you wish for!), I thought this episode was vintage Friday Night Lights and it has me excited again to see how things are going to unfold over the rest of the season.

• Another great episode filled with all sorts of potential game-changers.

Right now, I feel like Friday Night Lights is beginning to truly feel like Season 1 again. I'm not one to necessarily compare one season of a show against another because I understand shows can't 100% stay the same over time, but I do like there to be a consistent quality. Early Season 2 episodes were a bit dull but they've really picked up now.

The main part of the episode involves a rival high-school being forced to share locker space and the school halls with the Dillon Panthers. It should be obvious just by this premise that tensions would be high, and yes, things roll out exactly how you would expect them to. But boy, the writers are good at taking the obvious and wringing surprises out of them. Just because we know or assume it's going to happen, it's just as powerful to see the Panthers and the other team fighting against each other, playing pranks on each other and such.

In fact, although Landry has gotten off scot-free, he's still feeling the after effects of not being able to be with Tyra, which results in him starting a school-wide fight between the other team and the students at Dillon. I'm hoping that Landry and Tyra continue getting stuff to do... right now, the show is having trouble keeping everyone involved in the show. I feel like we go awhile without seeing Tyra, Lila, Jason and others.

That being said, we're being given some pretty strong stories with the other characters. Coach Taylor may be one of the best "good guys" on TV right now, he still has those moments where he goes off the deep end, and when he pushes the other team's coach against the locker and threatens him, it's a powerful moment for Kyle Chandler. I also enjoyed seeing Riggins show up at the Coach's house, although I'm not sure I'm happy with the whole "Coach thinks Tim is trying to get with Julie" thing. Is it really that hard for people to open their mouths and tell the truth?

I won't even bother talking about Matt and Carlotta because it's stupid and Zach Gilford deserves better storylines than this. Overall though, the rest of the episode was good.

• A lot of moments typical of a high school drama but not typical of this series. But some of these moments are still golden and save the episode.

Resorting to immature high school banter is not one of the strengths of this show. Yet, here, it seems like that is what we are left with. Nonetheless, the plot does move forward and there are a few quality moments. Coach Taylor taking up for Riggins stole the show. The evolution of Landry and Tyra's relationship is getting old. He deserves better than her and he is growing to realize this. He was a much more entertaining character when he wasn't obsessed with Tyra. His speech during the dance was another great moment of the episode. Riggins' subplot with Julie is not that interesting and the fact that he is "caught" was stereotypical and is the type of event that can cause a guy like Riggins to make a handful of poor decisions. So wait until next week...
  • watching FNL is allways a pleasure but this episode was really good, tim riggins, is the best character in the show.

where to start... I loved this hole Julie/ Tim story I really think he should be her big brother. He continue to get problems with every thing he does and I hate when he gets missunderstood. I really hope Julie is steping up for tim, cause he needs that from someone. Tim is really a fun guy and always makes the best of the situation.
    It is allways a good episode in every show when a tornado comes to the town, and a can really understand the fights between the two teams. I really hated that team all the players were such divas, when they sould be greatful.
    Julie has this season been very moody and like a little girl, I really hope she becomes like she was in season 1.
    Tamis sister is just so funny of course she thinks Tims hot who dosent, and tami just gets more and more boring she needs to change her attitude a littel. Landry and tyra, well!! what can I say, she is to afraid of his dad and every on else in school, but I dont really think they should be together, but both have grown as a person while beeing together.
    every episode makes me feel happy and sad, Loves this show and this episode. keep up the good work.
  • Do not cancel this show!!

After watching this episode (I have seen all of them) I cannot believe this show is in jeopardy of being canceled. This episode is in my opinion the best one so far. This show deals with problems that the average American encounters in life. All of the off field things that occur in this show are very realistic. I would say some of the on field situations are a little unrealistic. I have never seen a team win so many games on the last play but I can live with it. I love Coach Taylor and Riggins and if this show gets canceled I will be disappointed.
  • In this episode the Taylor family adjusts to Tim living in the house.

I love this episode, it was really funny and touching at the same time. Coach and Tim getting along and playing ping pong together was really hilarious and Tim made a nice addition to the family. Him watching Oprah was great and so very Tim. The big dance brought change for Landry and Tyra as she grew embarrassed of their relationship. I felt really bad for him because that guy she was with was an idiot and he doesn't deserve to be treated that way. Watching Julie get drunk at the party was amusing as well and Tim telling off Riley was classic. And at the end when Coach throws him out for trying to do the right thing, I felt really bad for him because he doesn't have anywhere to go.
  • Why I Watch The Show

This is just why I watch the show. From the lunch room fight, to the Taylor's relationships to Coach just kicking butt in all ways possible. As a Riggins fan, this was not only is it one of his best episodes, but it was also one of the worst. No real reason to get into it here, since some have watched it, and others have not, all I can say it wow...

The Tyra and Landry storyline was perfect, just what I would expect from such a show, it played out just as it should, and God willing, will continue to.

Dang near perfect episode.
  • The best episode of the season so far. Without a doubt.

I can't believe how fast the hour flew by... At first, I was kinda worried, with the whole tornado thing... And then you see the tornado... I was like, nooo, they're gonna start using special effects :D But I'm glad they didn't do the entire episode about the tornados like in Desperate Housewives...

And after the opening scene, things just started getting better and better... The Tim at the Taylors storyline was absolutely hilarious, and then we also had a lot of stuff happening at the school, with that other team coming, and it really felt like I was watching the best teen show ever... Then we had the two sisters storyline... Tami and the other one, Jesalyn Gilsig, right... Connie Britton once again proves what a brilliant actress she is, but of course, coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) was also awesome when he came in and finally made that other coach look like an idiot...

The only thing I hated about it was the last scene... The Julie-Tim interactions were great, but to end like this... Really made me feel sad... And by the looks on Tim's face you could see he was so sad to go, because this was probably the first time he felt like a part of a real family...

And the Tyra-Landry storyline - I like it now because the whole murder thing is gone, but it is frustrating! Just get together! The two of them have so chemistry together, it's just heartbreaking watching them fight on the show...

I still don't get it: Why do people not watch this show??? Why?! This show is better than some stupid, unrealistic Heroes, that soap One Tree Hill or the big, fancy doctor show Grey's Anatomy... Don't get me wrong, I watch all three of them, but compared to Friday Night Lights, they are junk. Junk..
  • Landry and Tyra try to figure out what they mean to each other. Tim's stay at the Taylor house is first a welcome one for Eric, but things turn sour with a misunderstanding, A rival team shares space with the Panthers, and causes trouble for all.

A lot of things have happened since Landry's confession.

Pam Garrity is getting remarried, poor Buddy, his performance at his old house was painful to watch, but in a good way. You really felt for him.

Matt and Carlotta are still going at it.

A tornado hit and caused a lot of damage. There was the brave act of Tim protecting Julie, which she might be reading more into, I got to admit at first I was not on board, but I can see it, they would be an odd couple, in a good way. Although I must admit I am waiting for the day when Tim and Lyla can work it out.

The Laribee team is now sharing the school with the Panthers and causing trouble, playing little jokes on the team, the end result being a player pissing on Tim's stuff. Which resulted in Eric really giving it to the Laribee Coach, wow I actually got up from the couch it was so intense.

It was also the time of the Fall Formal, in which Landry, Julie and Tim did not attend. Instead they went to a party in which Julie got drunk and almost taken advantage of by some kid, and then rescued by Tim, but we will get back to that. Landry leaves to go to the dance to tell Tyra how really feels about her and I am rooting for these two, but I feel like they took a step forward and then a big step back. Now, Tim takes a drunken Julie home and tries to get her to bed and not in that way, just making sure she is ok, but the Coach walks in and well from there Tim is kicked out faster than you can say football. Next week looks really good with the Laribee comes an attack on Tim during the game by the Laribee Coach, and Taylor is mad.
PIVOT