Friday Night Lights

Tomorrow Blues

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 14, 2009 on The 101

• Coach's job is up for grabs while college students figure out what to do with their lives.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who saw the episode "Underdogs" and saw it as a potential series or season finale. The scene where Tim places his shoes in the end-zone represented a sort of willingness to recognize that football isn't life and can be left behind. While a character like Smash decided to keep going and try and make it as far as he could in football, characters like Tim, Matt and others realize that football isn't life and that there are other paths one can take.

This was another great episode of Season 3, which is just about as powerful and strong as Season 1 was with half the amount of episodes. Perhaps the biggest shake-up in the finale was the fact that Eric was screwed out of a job by Joe McCoy and Wade Aikman. Both of those guys convinced the Boosters and the school committee that they should be coaching the Panthers. I sort of saw this arc coming for Eric, especially after the end of the last episode, but it was still handled very well, and I was pleased to see that Coach got the job as East Dillon Lions coach. It should be interesting to see McCoy and Coach Taylor clashing next season.

The rest of the characters seemed to be resting in a state of limbo as everybody made different decisions to either go to college or not go to college. I thought it was a brave decision to shake things up this much, with Matt deciding to stay in Dillon, Lila heading to Vanderbilt and Tim maybe staying behind as well. At the time the episode aired, it seemed like this could be a finale and the fact that it's not makes me curious as to where all of these characters will end up next season.

There's not too much else to say about the episode. It was a great finale and acted as the perfect cap to an amazing season. Bring on Season 4!

• The seniors are graduating and the parents are trying to move forward with their lives. How will this group of friends face the inevitability of change and the unknown?

The director took his time with this episode and featured aspects of Texas culture and life in Dillon that set it apart from the rest of America: a Texas wedding, an auction, horsing around in the middle of nowhere. The radio jockey's voice, like a narrator, reminds us that the stakes are always high, that football is what ties everything together or tears everything apart. This voice is often critical of Coach Taylor, yet coach somehow seems to come out ahead even when he comes in last. In this episode he is again confronted with questions of how he will deal with the consequences of his choices and how his choices will affect his career and his family. The main point of the movie Friday Night Lights, which the show catches up with here, is that winning isn't everything. Life is about the heart that you put in along the way, the difference that the mentor makes in the student's life, about making decisions and learning from mistakes. It's also about the triumph of underdogs like Landry Clarke and Matt Saracen, both on and off the field. The director pans out a little in this episode, perhaps to say goodbye to these characters we've known for so long. The cinematographer chooses wider shots in some instances, as if to say that there is more to life than Dillon, Texas. But we also get some closure to the high school relationships that must change with graduation. We see how the parents deal with the challenges of living by their values and the opportunities that come with the unexpected. The show ends well, giving us hope for the characters even if the story must only continue in our imaginations. Yet there is also a perfect opportunity in the plot to turn the show in a new and interesting direction.
  • Season 3 finale was as heartfelt as the rest of it. One show that I will truly miss if it doesn't make it.

Final episode of season 3 fast forwards 5 months. It develops all the relevant storylines. And gives us all exactly what we want. It is a masterpiece of realistic writing and an emotional whirlwind for which we can just bow down be thankful and pray that it lives on to see many more seasons despite of trouble finding the right spot on air. It is a pearl in the sea of faceless teen dramas revolving around trivial relationships. There is space left in case there is a season 4 and in case there is not we can all consider this a very graceful well rounded ending of an era. This ladies, and gentlemen, is television at it's finest!
PIVOT