Friday Night Lights

Tomorrow Blues

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 14, 2009 on The 101

• Coach's job is up for grabs while college students figure out what to do with their lives.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who saw the episode "Underdogs" and saw it as a potential series or season finale. The scene where Tim places his shoes in the end-zone represented a sort of willingness to recognize that football isn't life and can be left behind. While a character like Smash decided to keep going and try and make it as far as he could in football, characters like Tim, Matt and others realize that football isn't life and that there are other paths one can take.

This was another great episode of Season 3, which is just about as powerful and strong as Season 1 was with half the amount of episodes. Perhaps the biggest shake-up in the finale was the fact that Eric was screwed out of a job by Joe McCoy and Wade Aikman. Both of those guys convinced the Boosters and the school committee that they should be coaching the Panthers. I sort of saw this arc coming for Eric, especially after the end of the last episode, but it was still handled very well, and I was pleased to see that Coach got the job as East Dillon Lions coach. It should be interesting to see McCoy and Coach Taylor clashing next season.

The rest of the characters seemed to be resting in a state of limbo as everybody made different decisions to either go to college or not go to college. I thought it was a brave decision to shake things up this much, with Matt deciding to stay in Dillon, Lila heading to Vanderbilt and Tim maybe staying behind as well. At the time the episode aired, it seemed like this could be a finale and the fact that it's not makes me curious as to where all of these characters will end up next season.

There's not too much else to say about the episode. It was a great finale and acted as the perfect cap to an amazing season. Bring on Season 4!

LONG