WWE Friday Night SmackDown Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on SyfyIn Season

Mistico to the WWE *updated*

telvisnostic

[1]Jan 30, 2011
    • level: 52

The Cubs Fan wrote:
    Mistico has signed a deal with WWE. There's been a background talk about Mistico leaving CMLL of late, especially the last week, but nothing anyone was able to definitively confirm until now. I had heard multiple rumors about hisdestination, but WWE had always seemed the most likely. He's expected to head to Florida Championship Wrestling, where he'll join Alex Koslov (and Hijo de Medico Asesino!) as luchadors training for WWE.

Mistico's last Arena Mexico match was January 18th, the two fall loss in the main event where Porky got mad at Mistico. Mistico worked the two show NJPW tour and has not been in a CMLL ring since. It's possible he may work a final show or two in CMLL if his Florida commitment doesn't start right away, but he's obviously out of the Dos Leyendas plans. Friday's Averno/Dorada feuding was intended to create a replacement match (or relevos tag partners.)

CMLL almostcertainlyowns the Mistico gimmick, though WWE would likely given him their own anyway. CMLL probably won't put someone new in the suit, because they've been building Sombra up as the replacement lead tecnico for about 10 months already. Astro Boy, Mistico's brother, probably won't be affected only because they barely use him as is.

Mistico likely told CMLL he was leaving in late December, or maybe around when the CMLL/NJPW cards first came out, because it would explain why NJPW announced Mistico as working those cards while CMLL didn't have him listed. Even though CMLL probably knew he was on his way out, Mistico did beat Negro Casas and Ultimo Guerrero (by DQ) in singles matches during the last month.

Alberto Del Rio's success was the catalyst for Mistico jumping to WWE. Dos Caras Jr. was never great in CMLL, but has gotten over great in WWE. The line of thinking – and not just for Mistico – is if a guy who never really got over much in Mexico got over that easily in the US, it should be easy for bigger stars to succeed. I'm not sure that's true – a lot of Alberto's success is due to WWE deciding he was going to be be a big star, real quick – but it definitely gives Mexican wrestlers more faith in the company compared to how guys like the Mexicools were used.

UPDATE: The article states Mistico flew to the US to sign the WWE contract this past Tuesday, and CMLL did not find out until after the fact. Mistico had previously been open with CMLL about any contact with WWE, but had kept CMLL out of the loop recently. His most recent tryout match was – in California – was without CMLL's permission. Leaving like this likely precludes Mistico from returning unless there are massive changes in CMLL leadership between now and then.

If you've never heard or have seen him, look him up. Dude is just fun to watch!

Edited on 02/24/2011 3:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Raccoon1459

[2]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 22

He may gain as much success as Del Rio is currently getting. I can't wait to see what he can do.

Edited on 01/31/2011 1:54pm

qfrodri85

[3]Feb 1, 2011
    • level: 27
    :
    Despite CMLL claiming Mistico has not signed with WWE, Dave Meltzer is reporting that the lucha star has indeed signed the paper work, and is expected to start in Florida Championship Wrestling in Tampa later this month. He has been told he'll be there a couple of months, and has to learn English.

Au revoir, Mistico?

telvisnostic

[4]Feb 1, 2011

You would think that with his not being signed years ago due to that exact issue, he'd learn the damn thing already!

Edited on 02/02/2011 12:03pm

Deadnight-Majin

[5]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 18

They should just get the dude a manager. In Dragon Gate USA, they've added one or two American members to most of the stables to do the talking (well, they wrestle too), since most of the Japanese guys don't speak English. Jon Moxley (Kamikaze USA) is the best example.

It's pretty funny when the Japanese guys do try to speak English though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bjdsyMR-2w

Edited on 02/02/2011 3:29am

Crulex1369

[6]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 26
    ^ Hahahaha! Uh, nice try guys.

Deadnight-Majin

[7]Feb 2, 2011

Crulex1369 wrote:
    ^ Hahahaha! Uh, nice try guys.
    "Are, you, serious?" is definitely my favourite line, but "I wish, for good match" is brilliant too.

I also like the part in the middle where they give up and start speaking Japanese again.

Raccoon1459

[8]Feb 2, 2011
    What kind of moves does Mistico have?

telvisnostic

[9]Feb 2, 2011

Raccoon1459 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sqoY0hCOTU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uzNYHOAvRk&playnext=1&list=PL79ECA6CCA18A8BD2

Edited on 02/02/2011 6:40pm

Raccoon1459

[11]Feb 2, 2011

telvisnostic wrote:

Raccoon1459 wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sqoY0hCOTU and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uzNYHOAvRk&playnext=1&list=PL79ECA6CCA18A8BD2

Man, he's quick! I would hate to challenge this guy to a game of Dance Dance Revolution.

Hurricane1123

[12]Feb 3, 2011
    • level: 34
    Mistico left the CMLL? Good, CMLL is a small shadow of what it used to be anyway. In Mexico, AAA is where its at! Looking forward to seeing Mistico in the WWE, though I don't know how he'll come off on TV considering the whole English thing. I also don't know if they'll remove his mask like they did with Del Rio, but either way, I expect great things from the religious mystic one.

JandSman

[13]Feb 4, 2011
    • level: 32

Anyone want to see Mistico vs Mysterio vs Del Rio in the near future. But i would also like to see Mascara Dorada join the WWE as well.

Edited on 02/04/2011 3:23pm

telvisnostic

[14]Feb 4, 2011

Hurricane1123 wrote:
    Mistico left the CMLL? Good, CMLL is a small shadow of what it used to be anyway. In Mexico, AAA is where its at! Looking forward to seeing Mistico in the WWE, though I don't know how he'll come off on TV considering the whole English thing. I also don't know if they'll remove his mask like they did with Del Rio, but either way, I expect great things from the religious mystic one.
    I don't think it will make any sense to have him with no mask when he can't really talk English like Del Rio can. Much like how they changed Rey's name a bit, they'll do so with Mistico. They'll probably go with Mystic. Who knows.

How is he the religious Mystic One? Just asking.

Hurricane1123

[15]Feb 6, 2011
    • level: 34
    telvisnostic wrote:

Hurricane1123 wrote:
    I don't think it will make any sense to have him with no mask when he can't really talk English like Del Rio can. Much like how they changed Rey's name a bit, they'll do so with Mistico. They'll probably go with Mystic. Who knows.

How is he the religious Mystic One? Just asking.

In CMLL he had sort of a mystic gimmick, I don't really know how else to explain. Plus Mistico is an exact Spanish translation of mystic. Either way though, expect an overhaul for his gimmick when he comes to America.

telvisnostic

[16]Feb 24, 2011

He's got a new name. It is Sin Cara which is said to mean No Face in English due to him being masked. One wrestling site is saying that it's a shot of some sort to ADR, him being known as Dos Cara, Jr. for so many years.

CoporateWWe wrote:
    Stamford, Conn., February 23, 2011 – WWE┬« (NYSE: WWE) today unveiled their latest Superstar signing, Sin Cara, formerly known worldwide as Mistico. The announcement took place today during a press conference in his hometown Mexico City, where passionate fans of all ages turned out to see their favorite performer become the newest addition to the WWE roster.

Having already forged a strong international fan following, Sin Cara, known for his high flying style and awe inspiring acrobatics, is expected to reach new heights of global success with WWE.

"Sin Cara is a tremendous performer who brings the crowd to its feet every time he steps into the ring," said Stephanie McMahon, Executive Vice President, WWE. "With us, his stardom will only get bigger and brighter."

Upon his signing, Sin Cara said, "WWE is the pinnacle of sports entertainment. It is an honor and a thrill for me to be able to perform with the world's best. Being a WWE Superstar will present new challenges, new mountains to climb and new competition. It is a new beginning and a new life. With that in mind, I have chosen the new name of Sin Cara in hopes to represent all the legendary Mexican masked performers and to carry the banner of their legacy to the entire world."

http://corporate.wwe.com/news/WWECorporate-_001.2011.2.24.jsp

Deadnight-Majin

[17]Feb 24, 2011

I hope they build him up before the inevitable (and hopefully awesome) feud with Del Rio.

Edited on 02/24/2011 4:16pm

JandSman

[18]Feb 24, 2011
    • level: 32
    Deadnight-Majin wrote:

I hope they build him up before the inevitable (and hopefully awesome) feud with Del Rio.

Yeah i would hope that Sin Cara debuts the SD after WM and they build him up until Summerslam where Del Rio vs Sin Cara should happen for the World Title i think that would be amazing.

telvisnostic

[19]Feb 24, 2011

They've got a Facebook page for him already.

hkl;

Deadnight-Majin

[20]Feb 25, 2011

JandSman wrote:
    Deadnight-Majin wrote:

Yeah i would hope that Sin Cara debuts the SD after WM and they build him up until Summerslam where Del Rio vs Sin Cara should happen for the World Title i think that would be amazing.
    They could save it til next Wrestlemania (with Del Rio not dropping the title from this Wrestlemania until then).

I doubt they'll debut Sin Cara for a few months, they need to WWEifyhim.