WWE Friday Night SmackDown Forums

Friday 8:00 PM on SyfyIn Season

Steriod Investigation

yooperchild

[541]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 28
    It's funny that he's just opening admitting to it recently, when the reason why he couldn't compete in the last MMA bought he was supposed to be in was because he peed dirty.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[542]Jul 26, 2010
    • level: 52

CT Post wrote:
    Despite his run-ins with the federal government over steroids, McMahon is stubbornly skeptical regarding steroids' impact onhealth.

The federal Food and Drug Administration classified steroids as a controlled substance in1991.

"There's not much information that you guys know about steroids other than the media is writing hysterically about them, and maybe they should," McMahon said. "I don't know there's really been any great research you can point to that definitely says this is deleterious to your health or in some cases it helps you or whatever . . . So I don't think there's enough empirical research done, certainly not by thegovernment."

Linda McMahon made similar comments in a recent interview with Bloomberg Businessweek, but her campaign spokesman soon afterward clarified she "believes steroid use can have long-term negative physical and psychiatric impact on the body, and those negative impacts obviously are exacerbated withabuse."

But Vince McMahon said he is not even sure what "abuse"means.

"What is abuse of steroids? I don't know what that is. No one can tell you what that is," he said. "You can abuse sugar or any other substance or any other drug. There's not enough known about these damnthings."

Dr. Gary Wadler of New York, an expert on steroid use and fellow with the American College of Sports Medicine, provided testimony in the federal government's unsuccessful prosecution of McMahon in the early 1990s. Wadler said McMahon's statements to Hearst "absolutely fly in the face of the facts as I know them, and I think I know the subject prettywell.

"Would we like to see more research done? Sure. I've always been in favor of getting as much facts as you can, but you can't ignore the facts that alreadyexist."

Wadler authored the textbook, Drugs and the Athlete, and is closely involved with the work of the World Anti-DopingAgency.

"It is very, very clear what the adverse effects of these drugs are and how they are being abused," Wadler said. "Statements of that sort -- they just don't comport with what's really goingon."

McMahon, who has admitted to using steroids before they were illegal, acknowledged that although he performs for WWE the drug policy does not apply tohim.

When Waxman's staff asked McMahon if he had used steroids since 1996 he declined toanswer.

"I'm in a no-win situation here," McMahon told Hearst, arguing whatever he does he will never be able to convince skeptics WWE's testing policies are not a farce. "If I take this test, then the test is a sham. If I don't take it then I'm guilty of something . . . I don't do illegaldrugs."

Dawn Marie Damatta, who performed with WWE from 2002 to 2005 and whose profile is still on the company website, said she has used steroids during the course of her wrestling career, which began in the late-1990s.

"I chose to take that shortcut," Damatta said. "Did Vince tell me to take that shortcut? No. Did WWE? No. Why did I do it? Because I thought that's what I needed to do in order to keep up . . . There was no testingpolicy."

She said it is clear just from looking at the physiques of today's WWE talent that steroid use is not as prevalent as it used to be. And she believes the drug-testing policy is also reducing the abuse of drugs such as painkillers and savinglives.

Damatta said she likes and respects Linda and Vince but believes they could do more to assist formertalent.

"Wrestlers are taken as children, thrown into this industry and then we're dumped back out as adults. There's no learning in the world. We're on the road, traveling, hustling, getting beat up," Damatta said. "Where do I go? What do I put on aresume?"

He needs his head examined.

Rest of the interview

lightning_kf

[543]Jul 31, 2010
    • level: 36
    Even the most respected psychiatrist would go insane trying to examine that head.

telvisnostic

[544]Aug 14, 2010

:
    MOBILE, Ala. -- A federal judge today handed down a 4-year prison term to a local pharmacist convicted of participating in a nationwide conspiracy to illegally sell anabolic steroids made in Mobile.

J. Michael Bennett, who was supervising pharmacist at Applied Pharmacy Services, was the first to be sentenced from a group of 5 men found guilty after a five-week trial earlier this year. His punishment was less than half of the 7 years and 4 months sought by prosecutors.

J. Michael Bennett ... gets four years in steroids case.

"I stand before you a different man than the one who worked for APS in 2005, even than the one who stood before the magistrate (judge) in 2007," a chastened Bennett told U.S. District Judge Ginny Granade. "I had no idea what I was doing was inappropriate."

Bennett's co-defendants, the owners of the pharmacy and an anti-aging clinic owner, are scheduled to be sentenced at a later date, and Granade suggested they face stiffer punishment.

"I don't think in the overall scheme of things, (Bennett's) culpability matches that of the pharmacy owners," the judge said.

Prosecutors referred to Bennett, 44, and the others in a sentencing memorandum as a "drug dealers in lab coats." They contended that Bennett played a key role in an enterprise involving rogue doctors and health clinics across the country who used the compounding pharmacy to supply healthy adults with dangerous steroids.

Some of those substances were veterinary drugs approved only for use in livestock.

"These are steroids for horses and cows, not for young people and humans," Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Dobbins said.

According to court records, Applied Pharmacy Services shipped 762,388 dosages to 17 doctors and clinics from April 4, 2004, until Aug. 30, 2006. The U.S. Attorney's Office in Mobile contends that does not include many other doctors and clinics that they say participated in the conspiracy.

Those performance-enhancing drugs ended up in the hands of users ranging from professional athletes to teenagers looking to build body mass. Prosecutors cited 22 professional athletes who obtained steroids from Applied Pharmacy Services during the time Bennett worked there.

Snapshots of the 5 defendants convicted of steroids charges Feb. 8, 2009:

• A. Samuel Kelley II of Mobile. The president and CEO of the now-defunct Applied Pharmacy Services, he was convicted of 130 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering.

• Jason R. Kelley of Mobile. The secretary and part owner of Applied Pharmacy, he was convicted of 127 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering.

• Jodi C. Silvio of Baton Rouge, La. The treasurer of Applied Pharmacy and a fill-in pharmacist there, he was convicted of 60 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution and money laundering.

• J. Michael Bennett of Mobile. The supervising pharmacist at Applied, he was convicted of five counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution and distribution to a person younger than 21.

• Brett W. Branch of Eaton, Colo. The owner of Infinite Health, he was convicted of 46 counts, including drug conspiracy, drug distribution, distribution to a person younger than 21 and money laundering conspiracy.

In court today, Dobbins named seven whose orders included Bennett's signature or initials:

• Shane Carwin, a former NCAA Division II wrestling champion who went on to become an Ultimate Fighting heavyweight champion.

• Kurt Angle, a former Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler and professional wrestler.

• Bob Howard, a pro wrestler from Mobile who performed under the name "Hardcore" Bob Holly.

• Tony Freeman, a professional bodybuilder nicknamed "The X-Man."

• Quincy Taylor, a professional bodybuilder.

• Dennis Newman, a professional bodybuilder.

• Troy Zuccolotto, a professional bodybuilder.

Court documents reference 6 other professional bodybuilders, 7 professional wrestlers and 2 professional baseball players by their initials only.

Dobbins pointed to intercepted phone conversations showing Bennett taking an active role in the operation, speaking with co-defendant Brett W. Branch, who brokered many of the steroids sales.

"As the supervising pharmacist, he was the one in charge," she said. "We expect and rely on the pharmacist to make sure what we are given is save, effective and legal."

Dobbins pointed to testimony from about a half-dozen people who described side effects ranging from an intense burning feeling on their flesh to shrinkage of their testicles to depression to quarter-sized acne on their backs.

Dobbins said users "suffered severe -- in some cases permanent -- side effects."

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/08/pharmacist_in_mobile_ala_stero.html

lightning_kf

[545]Aug 15, 2010
    Four years?

That's it?

telvisnostic

[546]Aug 15, 2010

I was wondering the same thing.

telvisnostic

[547]Aug 21, 2010

For more on the Sports Legacy Institute, visit www.sportslegacy.org.

WWE RAISES CREDIBILITY ISSUES FOR CHRIS NOWINSKI

• Chris Nowinski did not reveal, as required, that he suffered previous concussions before signing his contract with WWE.

• He states WWE suggested that its performers take steroids. However, at no time does he ever state that it was suggested that he do so.

• His comments that WWE talent perform in matches 200 days a year is not factual. In 2009, the average active roster talent performed 135 days.

• A sheer fabrication --- that he went through tables four days a week.

• Mr. Nowinski states, "They have an environment where it's absolutely unsafe to work in that ring." "They have no oversight into what actually happens in the ring." If so, then why would Mr. Nowinski have ever wanted to be a part of such an environment?

• It is very dubious that he ever had a conversation with Lance Cade much less Lance Cade confiding to a total stranger that he used painkillers and steroids.

• Although renowned in the field of CTE, we are unaware of any specific qualifications or medical degrees that he possesses which would qualify him as an expert on steroids and pain killers.

Randyspeeps

[548]Aug 22, 2010
    • level: 34
    Very smart move on the part of the WWE. I'm also surprised they responded the way they did.

telvisnostic

[549]Aug 23, 2010

He has responded:

TheHill.com contacted Chris Nowinski for comment on the statement World Wrestling Entertainment released to media regarding Nowinski's comments about the company in the wake of Lance "Cade" McNaught's death last week at the age of 29.

WWE's Claim that Cade and Nowinski were strangers: "They don't think I've ever met my 2003 tag team partner in the WWE developmental system who I worked with in Cincinnati and Louisville in 2002-2003 almost daily and saw regularly while working with WWE until 2007?"

Linda McMahon's claims that WWE had nothing to do with Cade's Passing: "Linda [McMahon] can spend $24 million on a campaign, you'd think they could hire a decent PR person. When someone would disrespect a deceased former employee, when she's seeking [a Senate seat], as a patriot you have to say something. You want to make sure good people are in those jobs."

Steroids: 
"The point I was making was that they reward people who take steroids."

Nowinski not telling WWE of his concussion history: "[I] was unaware that I had a concussion history until the last one."

To read the complete article, http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/115487-wwe-targets-mcmahon-critic-.

Source

telvisnostic

[550]Sep 2, 2010

Mere hours after Luna Vachon's death last Friday, World Wrestling Entertainment issued a statement addressing the many former wrestlers who have passed away as a result of substance abused related issues.

The statement reads:

"Not withstanding our extensive Talent Wellness Program for current Superstars, WWE goes to great lengths to help our former talent who may have substance abuse problems, offering complete drug rehabilitation at no cost to them. Ultimately, however, stars in any form of entertainment should be held personally responsible for their own actions. Prescription drug overdose is a problem not only with former WWE talent, but society as a whole according to the Center for Disease Control, as it is the second leading cause of unintentional death (particularly among younger people) in the U.S."

See the list of WWE drug suspensions

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-LordsofPain.net

Sofa_King1

[551]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 9
    Vince took steroids. Note that not all drugs are steroids, and most wrestling deaths are being caused by overdoses. Even though Benoit and Eddie are big names, the ratio of steroid related deaths to other wrestling deaths are slim.

telvisnostic

[552]Sep 2, 2010

It's the painkillers and other addictive stuff that kills them. Steroids helps someone bulk up, but it also makes your muscles weaker. If they use HGH to heal faster, they may need to take those painkillers to numb the pain while rehabbing the injury.

Example: If someone suffers an injury that is to keep them out a year and they come back 6 months earlier, that is suspect.

Edited on 09/06/2010 10:48am
    Edited 2 total times.

telvisnostic

[553]Sep 6, 2010

Professional wrestler Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart has been arrested for possession and trafficking in a controlled substance and burglary, according to a Hillsborough County Sheriff's arrest report.

Neidhart, 55, of Wesley Chapel, was a wrestler and tag team champion with the World Wrestling Federation in the 1980s and 1990s. He was a wrestling partner of Bret Hart.

Just before 3 p.m. Sunday, Neidhart was pumping gas at the A.J. Food Market, 9806 Tom Folsom Road, Thonotosassa, when he began yelling and causing a disturbance, the sheriff's office said.

The sheriff's arrest report said he was seen opening pill bottles located in the trunk of his silver Pontiac Sunfire.

When deputies arrived at the scene, he was agitated and aggressive. He was observed "ingesting multiple pills that he dropped on the ground while inside the trunk of his vehicle," the sheriff's office arrest report states.

He was found in possession of 55.6 grams of Oxycontin and 17.4 grams of methadone. The prescription pills were in three bottles with the name Mary Cutillo written on the bottles, the sheriff's office said.

Cutillo had reported her Hillsborough County home had been burglarized and that her medication had been stolen, the sheriff's office said.

Neidhart, who is a friend of Cutillo, allegedly went to her home and pried open the rear door of the home. He then stole her prescription pills, which are valued at more than $300, the sheriff's office said.

Neidhart has been charged with two counts of possession of a controlled substance, two counts of trafficking in illegal drugs, one count of burglary and one count of grant theft, according to an arrest report.

Neidhart is being held at Orient Road Jail and with no bail set.

Source

lightning_kf

[554]Sep 7, 2010
    Damn, Neidhart.

Deadnight-Majin

[555]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 18

I had no idea 'burglarized' was a word.

telvisnostic

[556]Sep 15, 2010

LordsOfPain wrote:
    A story on F4WOnline.com Wednesday notes that WWE has officially incorporated a ban of the drug carisoprodol, trade name Soma, into its talent wellness policy. Though not yet noted on WWE's corporate website, the amendment has reportedly already gone into effect.

The amendment was attributed to "issues" that took place with the WWE talent over the weekend. A party drug that is popular with a "certain segment of the talent base," according to F4W, there have been numerous incidents in which wrestlers passed out in public due to overuse of the drug. In a 2007 interview, former WWE Diva Terri Runnels told TMZ, "I've personally seen a WWE Superstar nearly die right in front of me after taking 13 Somas…while still behind the wheel of his car!"

While muscle relaxers, including carisoprodol, had previously been prohibited for "non-medical use," the new amendment reportedly bans use of the drug even when prescribed by a doctor.

Jim856796

[557]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 14
    So the thing is this: Take a Soma and you'll be released right on the spot.

enervator

[558]Sep 17, 2010
    • level: 38

Jim856796 wrote:

Unless you're John Cena, HHH, Randy Orton, Undertaker, etc.....

telvisnostic

[559]Sep 17, 2010

enervator wrote:
    Jim856796 wrote:
    Unless you're John Cena, HHH, Randy Orton, Undertaker, etc.....
    Buahahahahah!

telvisnostic

[560]Sep 17, 2010

The full details on the Soma ban can be read here.