WWE Friday Night SmackDown

Things to Come

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Aug 01, 2008 on Syfy

• Edge has a mystery guest on Cutting Edge.

7.6
    WWE Smackdown has always had better wrestling than RAW. While it is often criticized, the main complaints come at the overall booking and lack of variety. The show got off to a start the right way with an actual match instead of a 20 minute promo. It was an okay TV squash between MVP and Jimmy Wang Yang. Unfortunately it was followed by a horrible Jeff Hardy promo and beatdown. MVP is a great worker but I don't know if even he can get a good match out of Hardy. Kennedy is getting really annoying. He was a mildly original and entertaining character upon his debut who could have good matches, but now he seems to phone in his performances and just give brutal promos. He should not be a babyface, ever. I never was a big fan of Spanky (The Brian Kendrick) in ROH, the indies or his past run in WWE, but his new character is pretty interesting. His kicks bring that MMA dynamic into wrestling which is entertaining and his cocky attitude will hopefully propel him to main event status.

The Great Khali vs. Jeff Hardy match sucked and did nothing to further either wrestler's push or current storyline. I will admit the chop that sent Hardy to the outside off the top rope was pretty cool. We were then given two pathetic outings in Maria vs. Victoria (which made the TNA Knockouts division look good) and The Big Show vs. Domino.

The show was made however by the outstanding final promo by Edge and Mick Foley. Emotional, hard-hitting and real. It was incredibly performed by both guys and made WWE Summerslam's Hell in a Cell the must watch match of the year.