Before watching the pilot episode of Friends with Better Lives, I had read many different things across the internet, all the way from this show being a waste of time, to it being someone's new favorite show. And, after succeeding at changing the channel to CBS with timing so perfect that I didn't see the last few seconds of How I Met Your Mother (because I plan on at some point watching it on Netflix, so I didn't want to see the last scene before seeing everything else), and I didn't miss a single second of Friends with Better Lives, I watched this pilot episode, and found that I sided closer to the people who loved it.

It's an interesting concept, it's like a group-of-six-friends show, but with a minor twist that kind of made it Friends meets Rules of Engagement. And you can see the Rules of Engagement side of the show with its many sex jokes. But, there's a thing about sex jokes, they can be really cheesy and unfunny, or they can land perfectly and be hilarious, and most (not all, but most) of the sex jokes in Friends with Better Lives were the kind that landed perfectly.

Then, there's the characters. All of the characters were great (but really did Lowell have to be British? Really?), but the best was definitely Kate (Zoe Lister-Jones). She is so much funnier than she was on Whitney. It's not even comparable. But each character had their good moments, although I want more out of the engaged couple, especially Lowell. But, in general, I really liked this episode and can't wait for more (by the way, does anyone know why there's no new episode next week?).

QUOTES I LIKED FROM THE EPISODE:

Bobby:
How do you sleep with someone by mistake?
Andi: I accidentally sat on a carrot once.

Bobby: You don't have TV? What do you do after work?

Jules: We need to celebrate!
Lowell: Yeah we do! Nut cheese for everyone!

Andi: How long were you going to let me go on for?
Bobby: You know me! A minute.

Will: And Kate, ever the cynic, who said marriage is a bitch.
Kate: No, I said that you married a bitch.

OVERALL RATING: 9/10
15 Comments
Comments (15)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 13, 2014
I liked it; it was funny. I especially like Will and Kate's characters: she's a shallow bitch, he's an evil asshole. I'd like to see what the writers will do with these two characters. Lowell and Jules are there mostly for the eye-candy and maybe some jokes at their expense. Andi and Bobby are the go betweens.
Let's see what happens.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Not bad. Not bad at all. Let's see if it'll make it through a whole season.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I really like Kate and Will. The whole - who will break first - challenge betweeen them (ie: the blind date) was hilarious! There is some potential with this show. I'll check it out again.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Judging by the 5 examples you presented I can't see how it will last more than 6 episodes.What a shame that network crap like this gets hyped and a hilarious show like Broad City toils in anonymity.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Not impressed with the premier much. May be it was because my heart was mourning end of HIMYM. Any way won't make quick judgement about the show. Will it give 5-6 episodes before deciding whether I want to watch it or not.
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
I liked it. I will watch the next episode.
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
I believe Lowell is Australian, not British
Flag
Apr 02, 2014
Well, still, my point is did they really have to make that character such a sterotype kind of a thing?
Flag
Apr 01, 2014
Didn't go in thinking I'd like it, but the episode came around and I enjoyed it. Some of the annoying things were obviously, New Age-y Boyfriend/Fiance.

But it has the Beek and JT Lambert in it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members